Play Book Tag discussion

Station Eleven
This topic is about Station Eleven
January 2020: Thriller > [Poll Ballot] Station Eleven - Emily St. John Mandel - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nikki | 661 comments This book has earned a permanent place in my heart. It has a little bit of everything: a dramatic suspense-filled plot about the collapse of civilization and life in the aftermath, a varied cast of believable characters, and moments of intense beauty, hope, and profound reflection. By delving into the pre-collapse lives of several characters, in ways that often link back to later events, the book also explores seemingly unrelated themes such as the value of art and the corrosive effects of fame. I loved all the contrasts that were shown, between life ‘before’ and ‘after’, between people old enough to remember an easier life and those who didn’t, and in the ways that different characters were affected and changed by their new way of life.

Booknblues | 5499 comments Nice review, Nikki. So much is involved in this book that it was hard to gather my thoughts.

It is one that has been on my TBR forever and I'm glad the Poll Ballot challenge pushed it to the top.

Nikki | 661 comments I agree, I found this hard to write - someone commented on here once that they try to write at least four sentences, and it took concentration not to just write four variations on "I loved this but I can't really explain why!"

Booknblues | 5499 comments Nikki wrote: ""I loved this but I can't really explain why!" .."

That is kinda how I started.

Jgrace | 2753 comments I'm so glad that you loved this one. I'm always wishing more people would read it. I was amazed to find that I read it at the end of 2014. I've reread it since then, most recently I bought the audio. I just reread my own review to remember my first impressions. I've definitely thought alot about the book since then. I was checking out other reviews and comments.

Anyway, as much as I still miss Shelfari, sometimes I find treasures on GR. This is a link to highlights and comments that Mandel made about her own book. So interesting, makes me want to read it again.

https://www.goodreads.com/notes/37653...

Nikki | 661 comments Booknblues wrote: "Nikki wrote: ""I loved this but I can't really explain why!" .."

That is kinda how I started."

Maybe so, but yours got deep pretty quickly after that ;-)

Nikki | 661 comments Jgrace wrote: "I'm so glad that you loved this one. I'm always wishing more people would read it. I was amazed to find that I read it at the end of 2014. I've reread it since then, most recently I bought the audi..."

Thanks, her notes are fascinating. I can believe that it's one you've thought about a lot - when we just did the decade best-of I deliberately left out anything from 2019 because I didn't feel I had enough perspective to see which ones would 'last', but I already feel confident that this one will be a long-term favourite...