Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Looking for a Project? > Romance Topic/Genre Tags in Title

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leila (last edited Jan 10, 2020 08:41AM) (new)

Leila (sarcasticromancereader) | 1094 comments I'm slowly working through this author's books right now to remove the topic tags from titles and combining books.
https://www.goodreads.com/author/list...
There are 10-50 editions of each title that needs to be adjusted!

Found another author with the same issue if someone wants to help tackle it.
https://www.goodreads.com/author/list...

I'm sure there's more out there :)

message 2: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 2347 comments Thought I was done with the titels but then found https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...
So I will continue :)

message 3: by annob (new)

annob | 1548 comments Lieke wrote: "Thought I was done with the titels but then found https://www.goodreads.com/author/show..."

That is an author name that frequently re-issues their book titles under several different pen names. It's tricky to figure out which pen name was used first, and add that one as the primary author name so that the editions can be combined into one work.

message 4: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 2347 comments I see there are even more profiles now.
Don't understand why there have to be so many editions of each short story....

message 5: by annob (last edited Jan 10, 2020 06:29AM) (new)

annob | 1548 comments Yup, it's a real pain trying to sort out :)

message 6: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 2347 comments Not finished, but I'm done for today

message 7: by Leila (last edited Jan 10, 2020 08:36AM) (new)

Leila (sarcasticromancereader) | 1094 comments There needs to be a bulk edit button where you can edit the title or author of more than one edition of a book!

message 9: by annob (last edited Jan 10, 2020 09:59AM) (new)

annob | 1548 comments Hi Leila, I admire your ambition! Please don't forget that the primary author name have to be the same name for all combined editions, and it should be the pen name the title was first published under.

I can see the primary author name is not longer the same name for all editions of this title, so it needs some more work: https://www.goodreads.com/work/editio...

message 10: by Leila (new)

Leila (sarcasticromancereader) | 1094 comments annob wrote: "Hi Leila, I admire your ambition! Please don't forget that the primary author name have to be the same name for all combined editions, and it should be the pen name the title was first published un..."

Yes, I was halfway through those yesterday and realized my error. It was on my list of things to do today. I will be making double sure from here on out with these pen names.

message 11: by Leila (new)

Leila (sarcasticromancereader) | 1094 comments annob wrote: "Hi Leila, I admire your ambition!"

Hey annob,
I didn't realize what I was getting into! lol! I'm realizing that this is a marathon and not a sprint. I see that you've been dealing with this one for at least a year now.

message 12: by annob (last edited Jan 11, 2020 11:31PM) (new)

annob | 1548 comments Leila, it's almost a forever job, since whoever is behind all those pen names continue to re-issue all their titles every other week. I tried to keep on top for a while but at the moment not working on those author names. It was too exhausting.

Please don't force yourself to work on those ones unless you are having fun doing it. There are a lot of more normally published authors who also needs their genre tags moved / removed from the title field, and they should be a lot easier to deal with.

message 13: by Leila (new)

Leila (sarcasticromancereader) | 1094 comments annob wrote: "Please don't force yourself to work on those ones unless you are having fun doing it. There are a lot of more normally published authors who also needs their genre tags moved / removed from the title field, and they should be a lot easier to deal with."

I might put this on hold until Goodreads implements a bulk edit function for Librarians. :)

message 14: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 20165 comments Leila wrote: "OK, so to keep track of that rabbit hole of pen names...(I've put them in alphabetical order by last name.) I can cross off as we get a name completed.

Anne Alperstein
[author:Ta..."

Topic/genre tags are removed from all titles.
I'm not up for finding the right pseudonym under which to combine books.

message 15: by R.B. (last edited Jun 09, 2020 06:32AM) (new)

R.B. | 12 comments I just merged Hungry Heart, it had two versions one under Anne Alperstein and one under Gayle Keo, but this second name is not on the cover and doesn't seem to be their real name.

Is it possible to remove some of the editions? They're all Kindle with different publication dates but the same cover, the older versions aren't available on Amazon anymore.

Edit: I just noticed there's one edition that actually has Gayle Keo on the cover, I'm confused. Ok, set them all with double authors...

message 16: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13729 comments R.B. wrote: "Is it possible to remove some of the editions? They're all Kindle with different publication dates but the same cover, the older versions aren't available on Amazon anymore."

Goodreads does not remove no-longer-published editions. People want to shelve the edition they own and/or have read.

Editions having the same cover but different ASINs should all stay (and vice versa).

message 17: by R.B. (new)

R.B. | 12 comments I think I cleaned up all Anne Alperstein.

Tama Alvarez, Shannon Costa, Mallory Spence and Brittney Valentine can probably be considered done since they're empty.