Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Author Resource Round Table > Avoid this scam

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Beers | 21 comments This email comes in using various addresses. Do not answer it.

Hi,

I hope you are well. I am a 23 year old student of English literature. I love reading new and exciting books. Right now I am on a break from college so I am accepting book review requests. I read all genres. If you want to get your book reviews please contact me.

Regards,

Cheryl

message 2: by Gail (new)

Gail Meath (goodreadscomgail_meath) | 278 comments I fell for one similar:( Never heard back, but worry about doing it. Thank you for sharing...

message 3: by Wmba (new)

Wmba Dams | 136 comments Robert wrote: "This email comes in using various addresses. Do not answer it.

Hi,

I would never answer an email like that BUT just what is the scam ? Do they ask for money later or what??

I hope you are well. I am a 23 year old student of English literature. I love reading new and exciting books. Right now I am ..."

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim Vuksic | 1072 comments For whatever reason, most avid readers choose to never post a rating or review. Those that do post reviews are merely sharing their personal, and therefore subjective, opinion. One reader's "Best book ever!" may very well be another reader's "Worst book ever!"

Contrary to what many novice authors believe, sales drive reviews, not the other way around. Rather than obsess over reviews, a writer would be better served by striving to continuously improve upon their technical writing, marketing, and promotional skills. Focus upon delivering a quality product and the reviews will follow.

The vast majority of novice authors fail to ever succeed commercially within this extremely competitive field. That said; some have. There is no reason why you could not eventually become one of them. I wish you success.

message 5: by Gail (last edited May 25, 2020 09:21AM) (new)

Gail Meath (goodreadscomgail_meath) | 278 comments Hi Wmba, my student's name was Susan. She seemed nice and very interested. Yes, I paid her $25 plus sent her copy of the book .
Stupid, I know, but I've only been publishing since Fall and this was back in December. Anyway, no, never heard anything more from her. I keep getting several from a Jim now, but I learned the hard way.

And to the Jim here - very nice post. Thank you.

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Harris | 87 comments Never pay for reviews! Most are cons hun.

message 7: by Gail (new)

Gail Meath (goodreadscomgail_meath) | 278 comments Well, apparently, I didn't...lol. Never heard anything from her.

message 8: by Rita (new)

Rita Chapman | 494 comments The other danger is that they will pirate your book!

message 9: by D.L. (new)

D.L. Lang (poetryebook) | 13 comments Appreciate the scam warning, Robert.

I agree, Jim. Reviews will follow as people start to read your work.

I got a mass email about reviews from a Jim today as well, Gail.

I get all kinds of unsolicited emails offering services even though I state on my website that I am not interested, so much so that I removed my email address from my site. I ignore them and mark them as junk. It’s sad that authors are the target of so many scams.

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim Vuksic | 1072 comments Some are unaware of a Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regulation requiring that any review obtained through an offer of payment in the form of cash or gift card, a free book, or a reciprocal review must include a disclaimer clearly stating so.