What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Mystery at Black Rock Island
This topic is about Mystery at Black Rock Island
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA mystery novel, takes place in Scotland. [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brenna (new) - added it

Brenna Lynch | 3 comments I read this book in 7th grade (2002ish) but judging by the cover that I remember it was probably published in the 90s. The cover I remember is a boy almost fully submerged in a body of water, trying to hide from people with flashlights in the background. I want to say the title was something like “The mystery of Loch/the murder at Loch.....” something
The story takes place in Scotland, the protagonist is a young boy (The name David comes to mind but that could be wrong). He’s visiting there for a trip of some sort. Someone is murdered (I think?) and there’s an investigation around it and he gets involved in it. There’s a few other main characters with typical Scottish and Irish names (MacDonald and Connelly?)
There’s one particular event I remember in the book. A character hears a tapping sound through the pipes and can’t figure out at first what it is, then he realizes it’s 3 slow taps, 3 fast taps, 3 slow taps (someone’s trying to tap SOS).

message 2: by Angela (new)

Angela | 425 comments Could it be something from the Sandy & David series by Robert Sutherland? The first book, Mystery at Black Rock Island, takes place in Scotland. If Two Are Dead by Robert Sutherland If Two Are Dead matches your description of the cover, although it's set in Ontario, not Scotland.

message 3: by Brenna (new) - added it

Brenna Lynch | 3 comments That was quick! Yes I believe that’s the one, but I somehow managed to merge the two books together! Thank you sooo much!!!

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37621 comments Mod
Brenna, which book was it? We can only shelve one.

message 5: by Brenna (new) - added it

Brenna Lynch | 3 comments Mystery at black rock island

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32339 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Brenna. Thanks for the update.