Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes > Birthday 'surprise' :-)

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 661 comments When we did the book swap I got a little too into it and kept giving my family unsolicited updates about the latest developments & which book I 'had' at that time. I didn't really think they were listening, but last week my 9-year old daughter asked me oh-so-casually, "What was the name of that book you liked in the book swap, Mummy? The one about the boy with the red eyes?" and today (my birthday) she proudly presented me with a copy of The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell that my husband had helped her to buy. I can't believe she remembered it for so long - it was so thoughtful of her, & receiving a carefully chosen book feels like a significant milestone in our relationship ;-)

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7759 comments Oh, that is so lovely! Sounds like you are raising a smart and thoughtful child.

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7505 comments Oh how wonderful! And Happy, Happy Birthday to you~

message 4: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2339 comments Brilliant!! And happy birthday :)

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8535 comments So nice! Happy Birthday!

message 6: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments What a lovely little girl you have! Happy birthday. 😊

message 7: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4986 comments What a sweet gesture! And Happy Birthday!

message 8: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6721 comments So sweet! Happy Birthday!

message 9: by punxsygal (new)

punxsygal | 285 comments What a lovely daughter! Happy Birthday!

message 10: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5791 comments Oh, how sweet is that! What a wonderful gift. The thoughtfulness of your daughter is as much of a gift (or more) than the book itself.

I hope you love it.

You must be so proud.

message 11: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 661 comments Thank you all! Yes, I am feeling very proud of her today & I think that is indeed the best birthday present.

message 12: by Sara (new)

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments That is incredibly thoughtful. You should be proud to be raising such a considerate daughter.

message 13: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments This is so sweet! and happy birthday

message 14: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7018 comments That is a fabulous gift and memory you'll have, Happy Birthday!

message 15: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2224 comments How sweet - a wonderful memory to hold close.

message 16: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 661 comments Thanks again - and yes, I think I will ask her to inscribe the front page for me to preserve the memory forever!

message 17: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7018 comments Nikki wrote: "Thanks again - and yes, I think I will ask her to inscribe the front page for me to preserve the memory forever!"

Good idea :)!

message 18: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1090 comments Awwwwww - Nice!

message 19: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5813 comments What a wonderful gift and a wonderful thoughtful daughter you have. Definitely a birthday you will both remember for a long time.

message 20: by NancyJ (last edited Jan 13, 2020 01:30AM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5234 comments Oh, I really love this story! My oldest son occasionally surprises me with a non-fiction book that he thinks I would like, and he has introduced me to some really good ones! It was especially touching when he was a teenager and barely talked to us. It still makes me feel good to remember that.

I have Sam Hell on my audible, so let me know if you want to do a buddy read. And Happy Birthday!

message 21: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8535 comments Garnet, quite a few Capricorn’s here! Myself (Amy), Joi, Book Concierge, Nikki, and now you!

message 22: by Holly R W (new)

Holly R W | 1260 comments Happy Belated Birthday, Nikki. How great to get such a thoughtful gift from your daughter. That's so special!

message 23: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 661 comments Thank you!
& Nancy, I loved what you said about your son - so good to have some points of connection through the teenage years! I'm always up for buddy reads but I am already on p158 of this one - we've had delayed starts to school the last couple of mornings due to snow so my daughter & I had a little buddy read of our own - she started her new book (Harry Potter #6) while I started mine - I'm really enjoying it :-)

message 24: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5234 comments Nikki wrote: "Thank you!
& Nancy, I loved what you said about your son - so good to have some points of connection through the teenage years! I'm always up for buddy reads but I am already on p158 of this one - ..."

I have it on audio so I might read it soon. My eyes are
bothering me so I need to set my print books aside. I have (pretty ) auras from a migraine, but I can listen without pain.

message 25: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 661 comments Audiobooks sound perfect for migraines - I wish I'd had them back when I used to get them often as a teenager!

message 26: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7018 comments Nikki wrote: "Audiobooks sound perfect for migraines - I wish I'd had them back when I used to get them often as a teenager!"

Yes! When I was a teen I couldn't read for 3 days even after the aura stopped. Now I can read if the aura stops, but not always for very long.

message 27: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4986 comments Karin, check out this article on migraines: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-s...

message 28: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7018 comments annapi wrote: "Karin, check out this article on migraines: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-s..."

Thanks, I may try this, but truth be told, I have triggers that aren't light so I don't know if this will help. They are both environmental (certain weather events), and physical (certain solvents, foods, etc), flicker frequencies and more.

message 29: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5234 comments annapi wrote: "Karin, check out this article on migraines: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-s..."

Cool. I think this was also on Grey's Anatomy. They had experiments with different rooms with lights, plants, etc. I get triggered mainly by lack of sleep, very bright or flickering lights.
Also neck pain (or even neck massage), and sometimes noise or wine. I've read that looking at green is good for creativity too. I often feel good around the color green, even just looking out the window at green trees.

message 30: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5234 comments Karin wrote: "Nikki wrote: "Audiobooks sound perfect for migraines - I wish I'd had them back when I used to get them often as a teenager!"

Yes! When I was a teen I couldn't read for 3 days even after the aura ..."

Oh, I hate when they last like that! I used to get migraines for a week at a time (and sometimes most of June -due to the sunlight I guess), but that was because I wasn't sleeping enough and I couldn't take breaks, I had to keep pushing through the pain. I eventually had to change my career so I could work at home more and take breaks/naps when I really had to.

Now the aura gives me a warning. If I take motrin right away and get in a dark room, I can prevent a really bad one. I'm lucky that I can listen to audio books, some migraine sufferers are more sensitive to sounds.

message 31: by Karin (last edited Jan 20, 2020 03:01PM) (new)

Karin | 7018 comments FWIW, I found some green incandescent lights on ebay and ordered them. I have a weird sense of hearing and can hear sounds most people can't, like wifi if I am too close to the source, old instant on tv's when they were off and the new gas type light bulbs hum. I think this is all part of my migraineur hyper-sensitivity and I loathe it.

That said, I love our smart TV because the colours are beautiful (better than real life so, but it's TV so I enjoy that) and the lights work well for me. I can't remember what I had to look for, but it worked great.