Addicted to YA discussion

Games > Books I've read that I wouldn't choose today

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by R.R. (new)

R.R. Adams | 212 comments Our tastes change over the years. I loved fig newton's as a child and that blind trust drove me to eat one recently. It was disgusting, but it made me think:

Sometimes I look through Goodreads or amazon and stumble across a book I've read (big surprise). But, this book is special. It's one I wouldn't read again; a book that current me would never have picked up. Like a fig newton, it's no longer to my taste.

So, the game is simple.

~ Name a book you've read "before" --that you liked-- that's no longer to your "taste".
~ How long ago did you read it?
~ Why do you think you "fell out of love"
~ Comment on the book above yours in some way. Even if it's "I've never read this".

I will start off with mine:

Twilight.
I read it 14 years ago.
I've read so many novels in Y.A. romance my expectations have changed. I need a bit 'more'.

message 2: by Pearl (last edited Jan 10, 2020 11:57AM) (new)

Pearl (crazymuffins27) | 84 comments R.R. wrote: "Our tastes change over the years. I loved fig newton's as a child and that blind trust drove me to eat one recently. It was disgusting, but it made me think:

Sometimes I look through Goodreads or ..."

1.1 Twilight
1.2 Ghostgirl

2.1 I read it when I was fifteen years old
2.2. I read it when I was sixteen years old.

3.1 I don't want to know about vampires for a long time haha
3.2 I realized that the main female character died in the silliest way. I currently think this book isn't even for children

message 3: by R.R. (new)

R.R. Adams | 212 comments I haven't read ghost girl

Bridge to Terabithia

10+ years

it's supposed to help get through grief, but the book itself made me very sad. It is not a fantasy novel

message 4: by Pearl (new)

Pearl (crazymuffins27) | 84 comments R.R. wrote: "I haven't read ghost girl

Bridge to Terabithia

10+ years

it's supposed to help get through grief, but the book itself made me very sad. It is not a fantasy novel"

Don't read it ): believe me

The book have been mentioned by you....I've not read it xD

message 5: by R.R. (new)

R.R. Adams | 212 comments don't read or watch the movie. (Bridge to tarabithia) It's too heartbreaking for what I look for in a story. Well written though

message 6: by R.R. (new)

R.R. Adams | 212 comments Eragon (Full series)

I read it when I was 14

Book 1 & 2 were a great introduction to the fantasy genre and I really looked up to the author.

I think it's a great read when you are young and getting into the fantasy genre, But, I don't think I would read it again (not a second read kind of book).

message 7: by Pearl (new)

Pearl (crazymuffins27) | 84 comments R.R. wrote: "Eragon (Full series)

I read it when I was 14

Book 1 & 2 were a great introduction to the fantasy genre and I really looked up to the author.

I think it's a great read when you are young and get..."

I haven't read The Eragon series, those books never caught my attention, buy I watched the movie, it was pretty hehe

message 8: by Damaris (new)

Damaris Huerta | 1565 comments Twilight series
The Eighth grade series

message 9: by Artemis (new)

Artemis (artemis_x) Any of Rick Riordan’s books - I loved them to bits, but now they just seem too childish.

message 10: by Natty❤Malec (new)

Natty❤Malec (nattymalec) I have to admit that's sort of me too 😂 it's complicated because I still love them to bits and they've always had a special place in my heart, but these days I skip half the chapters whenever I do reread them and new releases usually have to wait before I read them because I prioritise other series.

I think The Truth and Lies of Ella Black - I was looking through my 2019 reading challenge and that was my second book of the year. Now I feel like I'd get bored by the slow start and stop halfway through despite thinking it was so good the first time I read it.

message 11: by Beenish (new)

Beenish (beenishamir) Rumi's daughter !!

message 12: by R.R. (new)

R.R. Adams | 212 comments I haven't read most of these!
my favorite series is the wheel of time. At a staggering 12.5k pages, I don't know if I can reread it.

message 13: by Kendra (last edited Jan 15, 2020 08:56AM) (new)

Kendra (ariel-mulvaney) | 45 comments I've never read wheel of time, or any of these books really.

I think the series I wouldn't pick up and read today would be the Silverwing series by Kenneth Oppel. I loved it when I was 12 but as you say tastes change.

message 14: by R.R. (new)

R.R. Adams | 212 comments I feel like I've read the silverwing series and enjoyed it... But, I think you are right. I do not think I would enjoy it today.

There was this book called The Naming
it was an interesting read... But, oddly, I think it is too slow for me now.

message 15: by Delphine (new)

Delphine | 64 comments A wrinkle in time which I read a very long time ago.

Despite gaining fame in the last few years, I think it only worsened my ever diminishing love for this book that I once had.

Mushka (Master of the Hewo) | 105 comments Harry potter

message 18: by Random Pineapple (new)

Random Pineapple (certifiedkilljoy) Same.

message 19: by Damaris (new)

Damaris Huerta | 1565 comments The Fallen series by Lauren Kate

message 20: by Vianna (new)

Vianna Lim (viannareads) | 36 comments Diary of the Wimpy Kid series. God i still have those books somewhere in the attic lol

message 21: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1854 comments Name a book you've read "before" --that you liked-- that's no longer to your "taste".
~ i have not read Diary of the wimpy kid.

-The house of night series by PC Cast
-Cant remember exactly when i read them but around the time they were new. I actually read up to book 8 i think
- I found better books that i liked better and i realised and tought the books were badly written and the story plot got boring. And i started to find the characters annoying.

message 22: by MadBooks (new)

MadBooks (madbookss) | 42 comments The Fault in Our Stars or really any John Green book for that matter. I read them when I was like 14-16 and now I wouldn’t pick them up lol back then I loved them, they were so special to me but now I think they’re a little too teen angsty for me.

message 23: by Lola (new)

Lola (lola_fettis) Damaris wrote: "The Fallen series by Lauren Kate"

oh no I love that series lol. At least the first three books. I hated the other popular fallen angel themed series 'Hush Hush' though.

message 24: by Anna (new)

Anna | 28 comments Animorphs... A friend convinced me to start reading them, and they were quite interesting at first. I just didn't realize there were 40+ books in the series until I was too into it to back down. All in all, I enjoyed the series well enough, but there were ups and downs and this was probably the most frustrating ending I have ever read, and that's saying something.
If I had to do it all over again, I would just... not hahaha

message 25: by Bookpup (new)

Bookpup (blueflame21) Harry Potter- I liked it back when I read it but now it feels meh... I'm not interested.

✨wannabe inej ghafa✨ (godblessthishotmess) | 95 comments same, harry potter is bomb but i dont like it as much as i did when i was like 9. i wont be buying any more book editions or merch ever again, not because of this reason specifically but because jk r*wling is ~transphobic~ 😒.

message 27: by annie (new)

annie | 11 comments i saw other people put harry potter so i'm glad that i'm not going crazy in choosing it. i was obsessed in third and fourth grade with harry potter (and all the fourth and fifth graders i know now are). i loved the magic of it but i feel like i would barely be able to make it through the first book if i tried reading it again.

message 28: by Pearl (new)

Pearl (crazymuffins27) | 84 comments Damaris wrote: "Twilight series
The Eighth grade series"

Definately, Twilight x_X

message 29: by Rasa (new)

Rasa Ievkalne | 42 comments Anything from Jack London . Read all his works at the age of 12 to 14. They made impression, shaped my taste, but now they would be way too heavy, when i am 40. Funny, huh?
Also, tried to read "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas and found the writing not to be up to my standarts anymore. Horrible that sutch a classic was so great when i was 13, but as an adult i find it unreadable.
I find that as a child and teenager i chose heavier reads that left huge impacts, yet as an adult i can't pick any of them up again.

message 30: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Goldstein | 103 comments the mouse and the motorcycle series, also bobbsey twins