Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > Roman Britain Fiction

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie Fayke | 1 comments Can anyone suggest a current Author of historical fiction set in Roman Britain? Looking for one to attend Literary Festival in South of England. Thanks in advance

message 2: by Laura Tenfingers (last edited Jan 10, 2020 02:37AM) (new)

Laura Tenfingers | 24 comments Adrian Goldsworthy

I just finished his latest Roman Britain historical fiction novel, Brigantia

message 3: by Jan (new)

Jan | 1804 comments are you interested in historical mysteries? If so, I can recommend Lindsay Davis (Silver Pigs is the first in the series).

message 4: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Miller (cinzia8) | 24 comments I read Simon Scarrow's Under the Eagle. It deals with the military and surrounds a mysterious event that happens in the prologue. I enjoyed it a lot. I believe Manda Scott writes Roman Britain, but I have not read her books.

message 5: by Eileen (last edited Jan 11, 2020 12:26PM) (new)

Eileen Iciek | 472 comments Medicus (Gaius Petreius Ruso, #1) by Ruth Downie

Also in the historical mystery category are Ruth Downie's books, the Medicus series.

message 6: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie  | 562 comments I've got Manda Scott's Dreaming the Eagle and William Dietrich's Hadrian's Wall on my TBR for this month.

message 7: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 717 comments Island of Ghosts by Gillian Bradshaw. Really well done.

message 8: by S.E. (last edited Jan 24, 2020 01:06AM) (new)

S.E. Morgan (semorgan) | 38 comments I went to a talk by Linsay Davies in my local library, as Waterstones was launching her novel in Cardiff, last year. She's written a whole set of Falco Roman novels which are very well known.
As Jan mentioned above only one is based in the UK. She was an engaging speaker.

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Eisenmeier (carpelibrumbooks) | 290 comments I liked Dreaming the Eagle and Lily of the Nile. Dreaming the Eagle is set in Great Britain as the Romans are invading, and the main character of Lily of the Nile is taken to Rome after her parents, Cleopatra and Mark Antony, commit suicide.

Alberta-Alessandra Sabeva (albertasabeva) | 5 comments Boudica (4 books) - Manda Scott

message 12: by Michele (last edited May 20, 2020 05:32PM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 409 comments Great series; none of it set in Roman Britain, though.

message 14: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Iciek | 472 comments There's also Ian James Ross's book, War at the Edge of the World (Twilight of Empire, #1) by Ian James Ross . I heard that the series was pretty good and got a copy of this book for my husband to read. He's not a fast reader but he raced through this book.

I will read it sometime, just need to get through my other TBR books!

message 15: by Michele (new)

Michele | 377 comments Susanna - Censored by GoodReads wrote: "Great series; none of it set in Roman Britain, though."

Oh right -- it's all set in Rome itself. Sorry!