Play Book Tag discussion

Blackberry Winter
This topic is about Blackberry Winter
Archive: Other Books > Blackberry Winter / Sarah Jio - 2**

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5815 comments Blackberry Winter by Sarah Jio
Blackberry Winter – Sarah Jio
Book on CD performed by Tara Sands.
2**

From the book jacket: Seattle, May 1933. Vera Ray kisses her three-year-old son, Daniel, good night and reluctantly leaves for work. She hates the night shift, but it’s the only way she can earn enough... In the morning … a heavy snow is falling. Vera rushes to wake Daniel, but his bed is empty. His teddy bear lies outside in the snow.
Seattle, present day. On the second of May, Seattle Herald reporter Claire Aldridge awakens to a late-season snowstorm. Assigned to cover this “blackberry winter” and its predecessor decades earlier, Claire learns of Daniel’s unsolved abduction and vows to unearth the truth – only to discover that she and Vera are linked in unexpected ways.

My reactions:
I had heard such good things out Jio and this book in particular, so I was looking forward to reading it. The premise is interesting, though I figured out the connection between Claire and Vera long before any of the characters did.

Both these women irritated me. I got tired of hearing how poor Vera was, how hard she struggled, how dedicated she was. I got bored with Claire’s marital drama, with her apparent inability to confront her husband and her boss. Yes, I understand she was suffering a depressive grief, but it seemed out of character for what the blurbs promised me: a mystery, twists and turns that would shock and enthrall me. In both cases there were several opportunities for the women to take some action, to assert themselves and possibly change their fortunes. Time and again they failed to do so. The personal travails of these women held the story back, forcing the reader to slog through all these personal dramas much as the people of Seattle slogged through piles of snow.

Tara Sands did a pretty good job reading the audiobook. She set a good pace and her diction was clear. Despite the constantly changing time frame and narrative point of view I managed to easily follow the parallel stories. (Although, I do think this would be more easily done in a text format.)

My full review HERE

Note - this has the THRILLER tag, but I read it in 2019, so I'm not counting it.

message 2: by Hayjay315 (new)

Hayjay315 | 222 comments Previously, I have read Goodnight June by this author and enjoyed it. I have considered reading another by Jio but will steer away from this one as I would have your same frustrations with the lack of character development.

Karin | 7018 comments I liked this book back when I read it, but I liked it for other reasons and was probably in the mood for that kind of story when I read it. 4 stars :)