What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Now we'll never know > Classical short story about a young king who convenes all sages to gather all knowledge needed for ruling justly. The gathering and summarizing of the knowledge goes on for decades, till a single sentence is whispered to the dying king.

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Unfortunately, I don't remember what the whispered sentence is.

message 2: by Justanotherbiblophile (last edited Jan 13, 2020 11:56PM) (new)

Justanotherbiblophile | 1767 comments "And this, too, shall pass away."

message 3: by Florence (new)

Florence | 528 comments pretty sure you're talking about the fable ' Solomon's seal' by Edward FitzGerald, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_to... but it appears in a lot of retellings in a lot of books, so I don't know if you wanted a specific edition or just the story.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for the help! Unfortunately, I don't think this is the same story I read. 'Solomon's seal' certainly has a grave sentence like my story, but it doesn't have the project of gathering all available knowledge nor the summarizing process that goes on for decades.

Justanotherbiblophile | 1767 comments Fernando wrote: "the summarizing process that goes on for decades."

Some of the incarnations of the story do represent that it took many wise men a long time to come up with that saying. It is not however 'all knowledge', or even 'how to rule wisely'.

Golden Rule (in Christianity: Matthew 7:12 and Luke 6:31), or Silver Rule might apply for the latter. For the former, 'Change is ever-present, until Death'. Which I claim credit for :D

message 6: by Ayshe (last edited Jan 14, 2020 09:21AM) (new)

Ayshe | 4228 comments What the description reminds me of is fragment from Use of Weapons: king, gathering of information, books that are continued to be printed after king's death? I can't remember it in details but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Edit: Sorry, I misremembered, it was not about knowledge, it was about the existence of souls.

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39296 comments Mod
OP's account deleted. Moving to NWNK.