Becoming Becoming discussion

What made Michelle Obama

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Geonasha (new)

Geonasha Becoming, a Story About America’s Favorite First Lady
Becoming is a truly awe-inspiring memoir by former first lady Michelle Obama about the experiences in her life that led her to become the woman that we know her as today. Michelle moves aside the curtains of animosity around her to reveal an intimate look at the public figure we know and love as the First Lady. In Becoming, Michelle Obama the former first lady tells her story of how she grew up in the South Side of Chicago, went to Princeton and eventually how she ended up in the White House. Throughout the book there are moments where readers will cry, laugh hysterically, and most importantly relate to the First Lady on a deeper and personal level; Michelle let’s go of the facade we saw her under and tells the readers her story about the adversity she had to overcome. She tells her feelings surrounding her husband becoming president and how she felt that she and Barack Obama had the responsibility of representing the black community. She recounts how their failure as a couple in the White House reflected back on the African American community as a whole.
There are moments in this book where I as a reader related to the First Lady. Moments where you as a reader realize that this political figure and role model faced incredible hardships; one being the fact that she is a black woman in America. There is one specific moment in the book where Michelle recounts how at a young age she was told by her cousin in her neighborhood “‘How come you talk like a white girl’” (Obama 40). As this scene played out on the pages of Becoming, I began to cry, I remember at a young age being questioned by many people as to “why do you talk like a white girl” as if I was betraying my heritage and Michelle Obama relates similar feelings in her memoir. “‘Speaking a certain way— the “white” way, as some would have it — was perceived as a betrayal, as being uppity, as somehow denying our culture’” (Obama 40). As a reader I deeply related to her words; for once in my life I felt that in some way I shared this experience similar to the First Lady. Becoming is a true page turner, there are moments in the book where readers feel as if they are standing right beside the First Lady as she is reliving her story.
Becoming is a truly amazing memoir that I would recommend for every woman old and young to read. The memoir portrays former First Lady Michelle Obama in a new light that we the American public have never seen her before, a light of transparency. There are many times in the book where you will laugh, but most importantly the moments where you will cry. She takes readers on her journey to the most important house in America; readers will feel as if they have a front-row seat in her life as they watch scenes unfold. Michelle reveals everything from life in the South Side of Chicago to the exact moment of President Trump’s inauguration. As readers read this extraordinary page turner, at the end they will see the former First Lady in a whole new light and I suggest reading Becoming to see what made the Michelle Obama Americans know today.

message 2: by Mamie (new) - added it

Mamie Smith I agree, "Becoming" is a story everyone should read...male and female. It reveals the best and worse of humanity.

Living in the White House is like living in a balloon...everyone can see you and respond, good, bad or indifferent. Sometimes, we forget a person's money, position and power do not make them less human. They still weep with the same pain as we and love with the same passion.

Every human is "becoming" in some respect. No one has arrived. I enjoyed the book immensely! #DrMamieSmith http://smithmamie.com

message 3: by Mamie (new) - added it

Mamie Smith Check-out what I trying to become...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn39F...