Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Jaws by Peter Benchley, 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen (jentrewren) | 597 comments This is still enjoyable BUT it is now dated in many ways.
The knowledge of sharks at the time it was written is very out-dated and Benchley himself has now committed to helping prevent the extinction of Great Whites. He feels partly responsible for the way they are treated and for causing people to fear them more than they should. Benchley has been in a variety of documentaries with the Taylors trying to educate the public on how amazing these creatures really are. He has worked promoting their welfare both in Australia and South Africa.
When this novel was written there was very little understanding about shark behaviour or their breeding cycles. As we learn more the novel becomes less valid.
The actual people in the novel mostly suck and are self-interested and lack any sort of morals. I have no sympathy for the ichthyologist he deserved to be shark bait and was an arrogant tool.
It is still high adventure so is worth a read even if just to see how understanding has changed.

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7880 comments I never read the books, mainly because the movie scared the begezzes out of me! Nice review