Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Inda (Inda, #1)
This topic is about Inda
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Smith - Inda [Mar 5, 2020]

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - added it

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
Inda - Sherwood Smith
Inda (Inda, #1) by Sherwood Smith
March 5, 2020.
Requested by Shaitarn and Bea.

message 2: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7417 comments Mod
In!

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments I love LOVE this universe and this book! Enjoy!

Olivia (vinjii) | 1073 comments I’m due a re-read!

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments I'm going to try to make this one. I have the book...somewhere.

message 6: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

I’m glad you commented to remind me this is coming up. I’ll actually be ready!! :D it will take me a few months to read, judging by my current pace lol.

message 7: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4267 comments In! I think I'm reading something with Niki after ten thousand years :) so wooot! for that!

message 8: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1930 comments In! Look like it'll be a fun read!

message 9: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa | 1266 comments In! This has been on my to-(buddy)-read list for a while now. Glad to be able to read it in such good company! ヾ(๑◜◡‾)ノ"

message 10: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments In! I'm going to start this as soon as I have finished my current read :)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments I started but only read through chapter 3. So far I'm a little confused on the names and titles and who from what family assassinated who hundreds of years ago.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1073 comments Veronica wrote: "I started but only read through chapter 3. So far I'm a little confused on the names and titles and who from what family assassinated who hundreds of years ago."

This book...the first time I read it, I made notes so I wouldn't get confused by all the names! Smith does make sure to repeat the important ones often enough so they do begin to stick after a while.

message 13: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill | 2150 comments All the names and titles were tough at first for me too. Here is a character list from Sherwood Smith’s website: https://www.sherwoodsmith.net/sartori...

Hope it helps.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments Thanks, Olivia and Bill. :-)

message 15: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Only in chapter one, so I don't have much to say yet, but there are already tons of names!

Thanks for the link, Bill!

I love my glossaries, sad that this book doesn't have a dramatis personae...

message 16: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1930 comments Nine chapters in; I'm enjoying it, but the slew of names and made-up titles is distracting and taking my mind off the plot. (Why do some writers feel the need to make up their own royal titles? King/Queen, prince/princess, lord/lady I can get my head around. Use words like 'sierlaef' and I'm scratching my head and mumbling 'now what was that again..?')

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments I'm also nine chapters in and feel the same way, Shaiturn. The slew of names and titles, the use of the wartime language or the peace time language (do we really need two different words for the same thing?), not to mention trying to figure out which families don't like which other families (when they all have 'Vayir' tacked on to their names) is keeping me from immersing into the story.

And I'm not a fan of the whole arranged marriages thing. I like people to be able to choose who they might want to love.

message 18: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

It sounds like I’ll need some Malazan-level attention span for when I start lol. Because it’s so complicated, I’m going to wait until I’m done with my current read before starting. That’ll be about Sunday I think. I’ve had these in hardcover on my shelves for years, and how much our other group members loved it when they finished makes me determined to commit to it.

message 19: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
The names get a lot easier. Overall this was a very good series.

message 20: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1930 comments I'm making so little headway with this I've decided to put it aside for the moment. I will return, when I.m more in the right mood and can devote more time and attention to the story.

message 21: by Brian (new)

Brian | 1081 comments Y'all are scaring me!! LOL I am starting today

message 22: by Brian (new)

Brian | 1081 comments These names are killing me!

message 23: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa | 1266 comments I'm starting this one late, I still need to finish my other reads, which I've stalled on. From the sound of things I'll need my full attention for this one.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1073 comments It’s honestly worth it, stick with it is my advice. It’s an amazing story. The names will click into place after a while. And I struggled a lot with them at first.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments I admit that I haven't picked this up for two days. I keep finding reasons to not read...other things to do. I'm trying to motivate myself to start up again.

message 26: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Oh good - now seems a good time to admit that I’m delaying my start indefinitely because I got hold of an ARC I never thought I had a snowball’s chance of getting. Sorry to be so flaky lol. I was joking with Miche that I just need to start crashing buddy reads instead of signing up for them. ;P

message 27: by Veronica (last edited Mar 09, 2020 12:36PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments I did force myself to press on last night and got up through the end of chapter 16. It has gotten better but I did have to go back and make a list of who is who's little brother, who are the sierlaef's/crown prince's sheep followers, etc. (view spoiler)

There's really such a limited fantasy element to this that whenever magic is mentioned, i.e. cleaning spells or the birth spell, it's kind of jarring, actually. Pulls me a little out of the story.

message 28: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Haven't really found the time to comment so far, but I'm in chapter 23 now. I'm not even trying to remember every name and I find that takes away a bit of pressure.
I'm enjoying it but it's also a little slow at times.

@Veronica: (view spoiler)

Some more thoughts but not really any plot spoilers:
(view spoiler)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments Bea wrote: "Haven't really found the time to comment so far, but I'm in chapter 23 now. I'm not even trying to remember every name and I find that takes away a bit of pressure.
I'm enjoying it but it's also a ..."

Totally agree that the King and Queen (sorry, don't remember this world's proper titles for them) made matters worse. Some different parenting choices and maybe the sierlaef doesn't grow up to be such an ass.

Also agree about the roles of women in this society. I like that they have equal, though different, roles. That said, in one critical aspect, they are still treated like goods to be bartered due to this whole practice of fostering out girls at the age of two to the families of their betrothed.(view spoiler)

Yeah, the kids don't really feel like kids. They come across as mini-adults. I actually didn't expect Inda to start off this story as young as he is. And Tdor is even younger (9)!! But neither one acts like it. Yes, they're upbringing isn't the typical childhood but the rational part of the human brain isn't fully developed until age 25 or so so there is definitely a lot of suspension of disbelief on my part because there are things Inda and Tdor just wouldn't be capable of yet, mentally speaking.

That's a good question about how the culture might change or react if and when it comes into prolonged contact with other cultures.

message 30: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments I read up to chapter 3 of part 2 now.
Not sure if I like the turn the story is taking now...

Does anyone else find the story sometimes tends to suddenly skip over parts? Like for example in chapter 3 (part 2): (view spoiler)

Overall I'm not sure how to feel about this. Sometimes I really enjoy it and I think this is a good book. Still, I don't feel that inclined to actually pick it up a lot of the time. It's just a little slow and the thought it's only book 1 of 4 makes me tired....

message 31: by Brian (new)

Brian | 1081 comments This book is strange. I find some parts I truly enjoy and others I’m completely lost. I’m like 30% in and am enjoying the book when I read it but don’t find myself missing it when I’m not.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments Brian wrote: "This book is strange. I find some parts I truly enjoy and others I’m completely lost. I’m like 30% in and am enjoying the book when I read it but don’t find myself missing it when I’m not."

Bea wrote: "Overall I'm not sure how to feel about this. Sometimes I really enjoy it and I think this is a good book. Still, I don't feel that inclined to actually pick it up a lot of the time. It's just a little slow and the thought it's only book 1 of 4 makes me tired..."

I'm in the same boat, Brian and Bea. When I'm reading it I like it okay but I'm not rushing to pick it up again after setting it down. And I find myself more interested in what the adults are doing than I am in the kids. I'm up to chapter 24.

Inda is certainly a Marty Stu, though a likable one. But seriously, he has no faults or flaws.

message 33: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Up to chapter 20 if book 2:

(view spoiler)

@Veronica: yeah, Inda is a Marty Stue...I prefer it when characters have some natural talent but then have to learn and grow while also making some bad decisions, but he was basically born perfect.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments Yeah, when a character is perfect it doesn't really leave them much of a character arc.

I'm through the end of chapter 12 in Part Two. (view spoiler)

message 35: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments I've finished this now and I'm really not sure what to think of it. Objectively I think it's a good book but I also had to force myself to finish it.
It was a bit like with Malazan where reading sometimes felt like work, but Malazan always had me much more fascinated and emotionally invested.

(view spoiler)

I'm still interested in how Sponge's storyline is going to continue, and I like Tdor and Hadand, but I'm not sure if that'll be enough to keep me going through the next book...

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments I I have about 80 pages left to go and then I'll be able to click on that spoiler but, at this point, I'm feeling like you about the book, Bea.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments Finally finished!

(view spoiler)

Honestly, I'm most attached to Sponge. I was hoping for a Sponge/Inda romance, a la Tlennen and Sindan, but it doesn't seem that that lines up with Inda's preferences. *le sigh*

Overall, I liked the story but it was never the kind of story that I felt like I had to be reading it every spare moment I had. Most of the time I had to motivate myself to pick it back up and towards the end there my mind was already skipping ahead to what I was going to read next.

I might continue on but...I'm not sure...

message 38: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa | 1266 comments Haha, as Veronica finishes, I'm finally starting!
March has been a crazy month all around, and it's not over yet, but just one more week and then I'll be able to take a breather, hopefully.

Already I'm seeing what people mean by the names and the shifting of perspective. The first time it drifted over I was like... wait? Where did Inda go? I'm not terribly fazed by it, but it does mean this one requires more focus and attention.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments I look to reading your thoughts as you go through this, Melissa. Even though I mostly got used to the shifting third person POV, I'd still sometimes have to backtrack a few lines even near the end to figure out who was talking.

message 40: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments I kind of liked the pov technique, even though it took some time to get used to.

I was planning to write a review for this but I haven't been able to find the motivation yet 😅

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Inda (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sherwood Smith (other topics)