Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1)
This topic is about Soulless
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Carriger - Soulless [Jan 24, 2020]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 129 (129 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4605 comments Mod
Soulless - Gail Carriger
Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger
January 24, 2020.
Requested by Narilka.

Choko (chokog) | 5286 comments I am in!

Timelord Iain | 15507 comments Might be tempted into a quick re-read... I just finished Reticence a few weeks ago, and I'm unsure what Carriger's plans are for future novels/series... only have 1-2 novellas left and I'll have read everything...

Bill | 2144 comments I'll join. I have this book on my tbr for a bookshelf challenge in another group.

Narilka | 2618 comments Good to have you all join :)

message 6: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4188 comments @Narilka, just a quick note...am deffo here but (sudden/unexpected) travel moro thru 26. I'll still be reading with you and keeping a log tho...but can only post them on the 27th.
Sorry about this...unforeseen....

Narilka | 2618 comments No problem! I'll post as I go and you catch up once you're back.

Narilka | 2618 comments One chapter in and I see why this is being called "Buffy meets Jane Austin." It shows promise! (view spoiler)

Bill | 2144 comments I felt almost like the author was mocking her own book with the first chapter. It had a very silly feel to it that took me a while to get used to. I never watched the Buffy show but definitely get why the vibe of that being mixed with Austen.

Narilka | 2618 comments I like that the book doesn't take itself too seriously :)

Narilka | 2618 comments Through Ch 4 (view spoiler)

Narilka | 2618 comments In ch 11 (view spoiler)

message 13: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jan 26, 2020 02:48PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Timelord Iain | 15507 comments It's definitely tongue in cheek... the author has built a whole persona/blog around the world she's created...

When people talk about the books, they almost consider Carriger a genre... Comedy of Manners, they call it...

I love all the characters in the Parasolverse... I think Finishing School might be the best, tho... you read these 5 books, then you jump into Finishing School, and it's set 25-ish years previous, and you get to see Madam Lefoux and Lady Kingair as children... then you start to get suspicious about which characters are secretly lady-spies all over the place... such fun... I also love the narration...

message 14: by Bill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill | 2144 comments Narilka wrote: "I like that the book doesn't take itself too seriously :)"

I ended up liking that too just caught me a bit off guard in the beginning.

Chapter 4 (view spoiler)

Chapter 11 (view spoiler)

message 15: by Bill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill | 2144 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "It's definitely tongue in cheek... the author has built a whole persona/blog around the world she's created...

When people talk about the books, they almost consider Carriger a genre... Comedy of..."

Think Victorian era and the formal manners is my least favorite settings. The humor helps break that up and I’m planning on reading the next but will take it book by book unless I get really hooked.

Narilka | 2618 comments @Bill re Ch 11 (view spoiler)

message 17: by Zaara (last edited Jan 27, 2020 01:55AM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4188 comments 33%
:D what an opener!

Ch 1: The "Grand Collapse"...ohk all these puns...hard to believe some of these were NOT meant in that way...esp with that resolutely clean slant and TOTALLY deadpan face...😂
So far this is what I adore about Alexia...she able to make the most outrageous interjections with a completely straight face...like "whhhhhaaaaa?"
Like (view spoiler)

Uhhh clagiver??? Something/one to feed on......

Ohk I may as well say that auto will only let me say "Alexa" for Alexia so advance apos for the legion of typos that WILL occur serieswide....

“It would have caused Alexia to shiver and think primal monkey thoughts about moons and running far and fast, if she'd had a soul.”

Me? I like that she's 'voice-activated' in her primal monkey thoughts....

Yes daaahlin'...the writing style/lightness is very Austenesque! Too early in the day but wth....Hay should deffo add this! And my vocab is deffo gonna get more colourful in certain ways by the time we are done with this series...

I ❤️ how she drags Maccon's native/"rural" roots into everything...😈😂 they seem to be very old frenemies, with a smmall bit of ongoing/never to be indulged chemistry (and thus) the mutual dislike/grumpiness...early days...wish we knew more abt the earlier stuff n why he's always so rankled..........haha!

*eyerolls* her family!! Also I finding the bff char (Ivy) annoyingly effeminate and with the silliest platitudes like in the puffpastry romance mould but somehow WRONGISH...hope the char outgrows this simpering overcuteness fast....prefer that actress.

Aaaahk the clagiver explanations have come!!

Be cool to find out more abt the hives and supernatural society...Akeldama => seems kinda Kruppe-y...😂 @ the Pink Slurrp and cheese swizzles....I love dirigibles and also cheese swizzles....this book complements all my other reads so perfectly....they're all such different books, so I'm enjoying my month alot.

Sorry if this is a dumb questiom but does all that spry verbiage about the "ways of the flesh" mean we must infer that Akeldama is (view spoiler)

message 18: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4188 comments It's messing with my head a bit (not unpleasantly but still)...all this about vampires and "hives" as of they are as sociable/clique-y as bees...always thought of vampires as uuuh lone wolves...mixing up my supernaturals but I guess you know what I mean...😂

Narilka | 2618 comments Zaara wrote: "33%
:D what an opener!

Ch 1: The "Grand Collapse"...ohk all these puns...hard to believe some of these were NOT meant in that way...esp with that resolutely clean slant and TOTALLY deadpan face......"

About your question on Akeldama (view spoiler)

Narilka | 2618 comments I finished and quite enjoyed it :) (view spoiler)

Narilka | 2618 comments Zaara are you still reading this?

message 22: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4188 comments Narilka wrote: "Zaara are you still reading this?"

Yes Narilka, I am. I owe you an apology 💙...I'm normally much more active in BR threads and give many spoilers. I have about 150 pages to go.
Give me till Monday, please.
We can start Book 2 on Tuesday, if you're interested to continue...
I'm liking it alot so far...will post my log moro.
Tbh, I think I overdosed on BRs and bit off a bit too much...I have three BRs (this, Beyond Redemption and Ten Thousand Doors) that I'm nearly done with and haven't logged much yet.

Narilka | 2618 comments I am definitely OK to wait a bit before starting the second book. I understand overloading on BRs!

Timelord Iain | 15507 comments What is this overloading on BRs you speak of? ;) I almost achieved 100% BR participation in January... not the competition definition, but just looking at the list in the Master List :)

Narilka | 2618 comments Iain you are such an over achiever :)

Choko (chokog) | 5286 comments I am going to start this one tonight... I hope I am not too late...

Narilka | 2618 comments Choko wrote: "I am going to start this one tonight... I hope I am not too late..."

Never too late :)

message 28: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4188 comments Murderbot wrote: "What is this overloading on BRs you speak of? ;) I almost achieved 100% BR participation in January..."

Mortal wrote: "
🍎 & 🍊"

Choko wrote: "I am going to start this one tonight... I hope I am not too late..."

Hi Choc...wrote a log just for you...everyone else has finished....

@Narilka...
In all, good setup for the rest of the series, I will like to conti ue...felt some of it coulda been shorter...mainly in that she thinks too much while he is kissing her.... but I ❤️ TARRABOTTI....

LOG WRITTEN SPESHUL FOR @CHOC AND @SHA
(view spoiler)

3. Totally found Ivy irritating in the diabeticuteness...and ner being the IMMEDIATE receptacle of "girlish confidences"...*snort* didnt expect that from Alexa at least...the immediate spilling...that entire chapter....I was all....here is a SUPREMELY IRRITATING CONVERSATION THAT IS SO TOTALLY UNLIKE TARABOTTY:

4. Something I thought about....I felt it was rubbed in abit too much...the old money/new money differences....
“As far as she was concerned, it was one thing to have wealth and quite another to know how to show it off appropriately.”

Huh! What do think about statements like these, Narilka? Choc? Appropriate for the times and an attitude that many people hold, unsaid, of course. But it grated on my nerves abit.

message 29: by Zaara (last edited Feb 03, 2020 08:57AM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4188 comments 5. My fave side char was Akeldama....he reminded me of my friend Vic(tor) from college...well actually there were two but only one who like to be called Vicky in the evenings and for whom buying a leather jacket (lined with tan silk) was a full morning expedition with lots of agonised choices which I would of course have to model for him in the shops because his "morning/work" self was not built on the same lines as "Vicky" who likes to get dressed in the evenings.....😬 fun times....we even stayed in touch for a couple years after Uni....... then life went separate ways I guess my fault...I went off radar. I never forgot Ms Vicky 💋😘tho.....and ONLY AKELDAMA COULD GET AWAY WITH CALLING TARRABOTTY A FLUFFY COCKATOO!!
Not even Maccon could do this...💪 it is a superpower!

EDIT All this blathering aside...the dandies kinda reminded me of a Georgette Heyer romance.....there were P&P vibes too...

message 30: by Zaara (last edited Feb 03, 2020 09:59AM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4188 comments Just opening spoilers on all the threads....re the octopi, Narilka...just a shivery motif I guess.
Heyyy...I thought of Hydra/Spectre and them old Bond movies too...that lab scene was kinda reminiscent of the (view spoiler)

+ that very old Batman series (which Scott fondly remembers) and totally outrageous cartoons like The Perils of Penelope Pitstop.....

EDIT TO SPOILER TERRIBAD OFFACLIFF GIF
(view spoiler)

Narilka | 2618 comments LOL Great gif!

Timelord Iain | 15507 comments This was just what I needed, after reading Daughter of the Blood, yesterday... I still say finishing school is better...

I can't seem to get Sophronia being yelled at in a british matronly voice out of my head, actually (the MC of the Finishing School series)...

This is still good, and a great intro to the world... can't remember how much the octo-agency plays into the story, but Gail Carriger is pretty big on nefarious evil corporations in her books... the Finishing School series has the Picklemen and the companion boy's school for budding boy evil geniuses...

Timelord Iain | 15507 comments Zaara wrote: "It's messing with my head a bit (not unpleasantly but still)...all this about vampires and "hives" as of they are as sociable/clique-y as bees...always thought of vampires as uuuh lone wolves...mix..."

Supernaturals are very nested in the Parasol-verse... this is explored more in later books, and you get to see some exceptions to the rule in The Custard Protocol series... (view spoiler) (more of a vague spoiler than specifics)

Timelord Iain | 15507 comments Zaara wrote: "5. My fave side char was Akeldama....he reminded me of my friend Vic(tor) from college...well actually there were two but only one who like to be called Vicky in the evenings and for whom buying a ..."

Akeldama is a treasure throughout the series, and as a vampire gets to appear in all the series a bit (1850s, 1870s, 1890s)... it'll make a bit more sense later on, when you get a bit more details about him...

Choko (chokog) | 5286 comments Just started... loving the style of writing ❤️

Narilka | 2618 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Zaara wrote: "5. My fave side char was Akeldama....he reminded me of my friend Vic(tor) from college...well actually there were two but only one who like to be called Vicky in the evenings and for ..."

Oh cool. I'm glad she keeps some characters throughout the various series.

message 37: by Timelord Iain (last edited Feb 05, 2020 03:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Timelord Iain | 15507 comments Narilka wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "Zaara wrote: "5. My fave side char was Akeldama....he reminded me of my friend Vic(tor) from college...well actually there were two but only one who like to be called Vicky in..."

Yea... you get to see some characters from this series as kids in the 1850s series... and then if you re-read, you can try and figure out which new kids are parents/relatives in the main series... then in the sequel 1890s series is about kids of characters from this series...

It's all good and fun until the final book, really, when Carriger basically bludgeons you with sudden in-your-face connections of all the main and side characters... I was expecting it to be setting up a 4th series in the 1910s (the archeology heyday), but other than the details left in the tiny epilogue from Akeldama, I think the Custard Protocol might be the end of full-length novels in this mega-series... Carriger has a bunch of PNR novella series open, to tell love stories about fan-favorite side characters...

message 38: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4188 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Akeldama is a treasure throughout the series, and as a vampire gets to appear in all the series a bit (1850s, 1870s, 1890s)... it'll make a bit more sense later on, when you get a bit more details about him... "

Good to know he will be around and we'll find out more but heh, the Custard Protocol...😂 really??

When would y'all want to start Book 2? I think we'd all said we'd like to continue + am sure Choc will be done by moro at the latest, if not already....

Timelord Iain | 15507 comments Zaara wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "Akeldama is a treasure throughout the series, and as a vampire gets to appear in all the series a bit (1850s, 1870s, 1890s)... it'll make a bit more sense later on, when you g..."

It's a dirigible... and you're incorrigible...

message 40: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4188 comments I wasn't the one who came up with it, tyvm. Put it down to the lack of soul, but I blame Carriger....👊

message 41: by Bill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill | 2144 comments I can start towards the start of next week. I have a few books to do first and am sick so not getting much done.

Narilka | 2618 comments Zaara wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "Akeldama is a treasure throughout the series, and as a vampire gets to appear in all the series a bit (1850s, 1870s, 1890s)... it'll make a bit more sense later on, when you g..."

I'm up for book 2. I think I might have over booked February. If you all want to start soon I'll make it work somehow lol

message 43: by Bill (last edited Feb 05, 2020 05:22PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill | 2144 comments I don’t mind waiting if a later date works better. I’m never at a loss for books to read.

message 44: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4188 comments Narilka wrote: "I'm up for book 2. I think I might have over booked February. If you all want to start soon I'll make it work somehow lol"

Bill wrote: "I don’t mind waiting if a later date works better. I’m never at a loss for books to read."

No worries, March 1 it is then!!

Choko (chokog) | 5286 comments I am almost done... This book is such a breath of fresh air after Assail... I love how "proper" everyone is trying to be and how miserably they all are failing! I kind of feel bad for all those assigned to her protection... They are all very likely to come to a bad end...

Choko (chokog) | 5286 comments March 1st is good with me:-)

Narilka | 2618 comments March is good for me too. Zaara do you want to request a thread?

message 48: by Bill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill | 2144 comments Good for me too.

Choko (chokog) | 5286 comments I loved it! Very enjoyable and made me smile a lot, so just perfect for my mood right now :-)... I loved the epilogue and the small snippet about what happened to the American! Looking forward to the next one:-)

message 50: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4188 comments Narilka wrote: "March is good for me too. Zaara do you want to request a thread?"

How about we just do the fullseries here itself? They are short books....the thread is quite empty and easy to navigate...

We can just comment here from March 1 onward, if that's ok with you...I'm a big advocate for reusing stuff n old threads for extra spoilers + (mainly) to refresh ourselves abt previous book....
*grins*

« previous 1 3