You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Buddy Reads > The Starless Sea

Comments Showing 1-50 of 189 (189 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14592 comments A couple of us would like to read The Starless Sea together. Feel free to join!

We haven't picked a starting date yet, but not everyone (including me) has a copy of the book yet, so perhaps first see when is possible for everyone.

I should receive my copy within a week or so, but January is already packed with reading. February or perhaps even March would be better for me.

message 2: by Jayme (last edited Jan 09, 2020 05:33AM) (new)

Jayme | 2290 comments Sounds good - middle February and later would work for me as well.

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9170 comments I am 25th in the queue for 10 copies of the book, so I guess it won't be that bad after all. Still I have zero control on this, so all I can do is hope and keep you posted.

message 4: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14592 comments Do they give you an estimate Sandra?

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9170 comments They don't give an estimate, buy MY estimate is second half of February. Now, decide according to what works better for the majority and I will adapt. Long queues at the libraries are unpredictable...

message 6: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1623 comments I will try and join. I need to get the book from the library. I will start trying now

message 7: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14592 comments I wanted to throw a date out there, but then realized February will also have a week-long toppler. Maybe wait until we know when the toppler is and schedule something for this then?

message 8: by Jayme (new)

Jayme | 2290 comments Peggy wrote: "I wanted to throw a date out there, but then realized February will also have a week-long toppler. Maybe wait until we know when the toppler is and schedule something for this then?"

sounds like a plan :)

message 9: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9170 comments Ok. Good to me.

message 10: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19580 comments I am hold #129 on 57 copies for the first edition print book at my library. The large print edition has 56 holds on 10 copies and the audiobook has 116 holds on 12 copies - something like that.
The print book is $21 and the ebook is $15 from Barnes & Noble currently. I think the book availability will come down a lot a little later in the year, but if you all are set on Feb, I will just have to see if I get the book in time to join you.

message 11: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 2640 comments I've just started listening to this on audiobook, but I'll pause and wait for the buddy read. It's not a problem. I haven't got too far yet and there are other books calling my name ; )

message 12: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4133 comments i am in.
I am next in line at my lib for a copy,. I will suspend my hold until whenever :)

message 13: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19580 comments I listened to the sample from Audible, liked what I heard and purchased it. I’m ready any time now. 🙃

message 14: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1623 comments sounds good to me also

message 15: by Katrisa (new)

Katrisa | 2223 comments I listened to this in December and loved it so much that I bought the hardback so I could read it again. I would love to join the buddy read and reread it in paper form! I have seen mixed reviews, but I thought this book was so amazing that I am planning a tattoo.

message 16: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19580 comments Wow, Katrina, that is quite the recommendation! Are there tattoos in the book?

message 17: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14592 comments Wow Katrisa, the book must have made quite the impression! Can't wait to read it now.

Have you read The Night Circus?

message 18: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9389 comments Ooo, I've only just spotted this thread! I'm definitely in :-)

message 19: by Katrisa (new)

Katrisa | 2223 comments Peggy wrote: "Wow Katrisa, the book must have made quite the impression! Can't wait to read it now.

Have you read The Night Circus?"

I loved the Night Circus too!

message 20: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14592 comments I just read somewhere that toppler will be starting the 15th. Shall we schedule this one for after the toppler, so February 23?

I'm also fine with March, I know there are some other February buddy reads.

message 21: by Jayme (new)

Jayme | 2290 comments February 23rd works for me : )

message 22: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9389 comments Works for me too!

message 23: by Jayme (new)

Jayme | 2290 comments Katrisa wrote: "I listened to this in December and loved it so much that I bought the hardback so I could read it again. I would love to join the buddy read and reread it in paper form! I have seen mixed reviews, ..."

Now I am really excited to read this knowing it has sparked a tattoo!!

message 24: by Tasha☺ (new)

Tasha☺ | 1020 comments I just got this from the library. I am ready for February

message 25: by Tasha☺ (new)

Tasha☺ | 1020 comments I also loved the Night Circus so this one will be good hopefully

message 26: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9170 comments I am 17th in the queue, and the library owns 11 copies, so I'm hopeful the timing will be right.

message 27: by Katrisa (new)

Katrisa | 2223 comments I am making this my nighttime book, so it will take me a minute to finish since I can only read 10-20 pages before I get sleepy :) So I am just going to start now and will probably be finishing with you guys.

message 28: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2613 comments I plan to join this Buddy Read. I already have the book on Kindle. My husband liked it a lot and keeps encouraging me to read it.

message 29: by Carla (new)

Carla | 244 comments Oh I would love to join this Buddy Read. I got the book for Christmas and I haven't had a chance to get to it yet.

message 30: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9389 comments Good to have you Casceil and Carla. This should be good.

message 31: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9170 comments I got an email yesterday saying the book is available for me now! I will get it this afternoon.

message 32: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14592 comments Great timing Sandra!

message 33: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14592 comments I finished my current book, so I'm going to start this one either tonight or tomorrow.

message 34: by Jayme (new)

Jayme | 2290 comments I probably won't get to this until Monday/Tuesday.

message 35: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4133 comments I have my copy as well. Ready to start. Probably tomorrow.

message 36: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9389 comments I'll start tomorrow.

message 37: by Katrisa (new)

Katrisa | 2223 comments I will say that I had a hard time with this book in the beginning. I didn't really settle in until like 70 or 80 pages.

message 38: by Katrisa (new)

Katrisa | 2223 comments I am also reading The Ten Thousand Doors of January right now and I think it is funny that two books about magic doors and book worlds came out within like a month of each other!

message 39: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4133 comments Katrisa wrote: "I will say that I had a hard time with this book in the beginning. I didn't really settle in until like 70 or 80 pages."

I struggle as well. I have only read the first chapter of book one.
I am confused but this is intended. but the amount of (text in parentheses ) annoys me.

message 40: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9170 comments That is what I read too, Esther. I found the text in parenthesis distracting, but not necessarily annoying.

message 41: by Sandra (last edited Feb 23, 2020 08:17AM) (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9170 comments Oops. Pressed send accidentally.

I can't say that I fell in love with the book, but it is certainly a different kind of story, and those usually take longer to get into and start feeling comfortable with.

My Sunday turned to be very busy, but I hope to be able to read at least for an hour this afternoon.

message 42: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14592 comments I got a headache yesterday so I didn't read anything. Today I didn't feel like picking it up at all. It wasn't that I didn't feel like reading, just not this book.

I'm in the mood for it right now, and after reading some of your comments I'm even less sure.

message 43: by Carla (new)

Carla | 244 comments Just started this morning and I'm only 16 pages in. Have to stop to go to my paint class but I will continue later. So far I'm liking the setting descriptions (very much the way The Night Circus was written. I'm hoping I enjoy it as much as I did her first book.

message 44: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9170 comments @Peggy, the first 3 chapters are very short (14 pages total), and they are kind of weird and with not too much sense or connection. After that starts a chapter titled "January 2015" and things start getting better.

I'm letting you know in case you want to give it a try.

message 45: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19580 comments I am trying to finish another audiobook first, then I will start this one.

message 46: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14592 comments Thanks Sandra! I'm going to give it a try today.

message 47: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14592 comments I read the first 14 pages, up to January 2015. I might be in the mood for this after all. So far, I'm intrigued, both by the story and the writing style.

I do get the idea that this book requires all my attention and that I need to read it in silence as not to miss anything, so that's going to be hard when Rob's home and the tv is on.. I've got a few more hours though! (although annoying and distracting sounds are coming from the neighbour's house.. what are they doing?!)

message 48: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9170 comments Glad to know it is getting better for you, Peggy. I didn't want to pressure, but though that knowing that after 20 pages the story starts making more sense would help.

message 49: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1623 comments I am still crazy busy. I am unable to read along. I will bookmark this thread. I will add comments when I can read the book.

message 50: by Carla (new)

Carla | 244 comments Peggy wrote: "I read the first 14 pages, up to January 2015. I might be in the mood for this after all. So far, I'm intrigued, both by the story and the writing style.

I do get the idea that this book requires..."

I agree with you about needing to give the book your full attention. I can't have anything going on in the background for this one. I'm reading more slowly just to really take in all the different settings and characters.

« previous 1 3 4