Austenesque Lovers TBR Challenge 2020 discussion

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 72 comments I am not too familiar with sandition and with the new miniseries coming out I would like to read it.

I came across a copy of it at the library with another author who finished the story.

My question is, what is the last chapter that Jane Austen wrote so I know when the other author starts to resume the story?

message 2: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) The chapter numbers vary by version, but the original story ends, if I recall correctly, as Charlotte is on her way to call on Lady Denham and she sees a flutter of white behind a hedge--Clara, in a tryst. Of course, many continuers make changes to Austen's original fragment to set up developments in their storyline.

message 3: by writer... (last edited Jan 10, 2020 12:44PM) (new)

writer... (goodreadscomwriter) | 110 comments Sanditon by Beth Kesler Lovely audio version released Jan 3.2020 . Beth Kesler narrating with authentic accents and excellent characterizations for any audio fans.. under 1-$

message 4: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 72 comments another question. are there any continuations any recommend etc? i have read Jane Austen's Charlotte Her Fragment of a Last Novel, Completed by Julia Barrett by Julia Barrett years ago and from what i recall i did enjoy it do people recommend that ot a different veresion/ending to it?

haveNOT watched mini series yet. i have heard it ends in a cliffhanger though :(

message 5: by Kirk (last edited Aug 09, 2020 05:30AM) (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 586 comments Patricia wrote: "another question. are there any continuations any recommend etc? i have read Jane Austen's Charlotte Her Fragment of a Last Novel, Completed by Julia Barrett by Julia Barrett years ago ..

Sanditon Jane Austen's Last Novel Completed by Jane Austenrom ..."

I and a few others enjoyed the above.

A Return to Sanditon I enjoyed quite a bit.... according to my rating.
A Return to Sanditon by Anne Toledo

It's not a completion but I loved loved
A Suspicion at Sanditon
The Suspicion at Sanditon (Or, The Disappearance of Lady Denham) A Mr. and Mrs. Darcy Mystery by Carrie Bebris

Alas, a 2nd season was planned but ITV cancelled it(low UK ratings). There is a strong fanbase pushing for a 2nd season on Twitter. The actors and others seem supportive. While not wildly in love with it, I enjoyed it well enough. Not nit-picky like some other Austen fans...I joked that it was 10% Jane Austen and 90% Andrew Davies. :) On fan fiction dot net several people finished the series or took bits of it to write about. I enjoyed several. I believe most editions have 11 full chapters from Jane Austen. :)

message 6: by Patricia (last edited Aug 09, 2020 07:03PM) (new)

Patricia | 72 comments Kirk wrote: "Patricia wrote: "another question. are there any continuations any recommend etc? i have read Jane Austen's Charlotte Her Fragment of a Last Novel, Completed by Julia Barrett by Julia Barrett ye..."

Thank you! :) I feel i have the first one somewhere

I have the last one, Carrie Bebris, on hold for me at the library

I joined a couple facebook groups about sandition. I am hopefully going to start watching itthis week with my mom. We are hesitant because , based on what we read, theres a cliffhanger and with no plans for a season 2 . we have been catching up on Father Brown and they have had mini interviews at the end of some of them about the tv series. Now we are really curious about it.

message 7: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 586 comments Patricia wrote: "Kirk wrote: "Patricia wrote: "another question. are there any continuations any recommend etc? i have read [bookcover:Jane Austen's Charlotte: Her Fragment of a Last Novel, Completed by Julia Barre..."
Enjoy! :)

message 8: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 72 comments correct me if i am wrong but wasnt a new version released when series was out ? the female lead was on the cover and now i can not find that at the stores anymore

message 9: by Kirk (last edited Aug 10, 2020 06:59PM) (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 586 comments Patricia wrote: "correct me if i am wrong but wasnt a new version released when series was out ? the female lead was on the cover and now i can not find that at the stores anymore"

Yes although it is directly tied to the miniseries. Kate Riordan(sp?) is the author. I haven't read it yet(40-50th on waitlist)but Meredith(Austenesque reviews) has a brilliant review.
Sanditon by Jane Austen