Beta / Proof Readers discussion

Authors > Alternate History - Roman Empire in North America

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Edward | 2 comments I'm looking for a beta reader for my latest work, which still doesn't have a title (open to suggestions!)

The premise is that the Roman Empire did not collapse (nor did it spin off the Holy Roman Empire) and, sometime around 1492 (give or take a century), the Romans sailed westward to see what was there...

Genre: Alternate history
Word Count: 61K
POV: Mostly first person with a few peeks behind the curtain
Sex: none directly, though there are a couple references to brothels
Violence: Some, though not graphic
Triggers: Don't think so?
Betareaders: 1 or 2

message 2: by Tito (new)

Tito Athano (bobspringett) | 69 comments Robert wrote: "I'm looking for a beta reader for my latest work, which still doesn't have a title (open to suggestions!)

The premise is that the Roman Empire did not collapse (nor did it spin off the Holy Roman ..."

Hi Robert,

I'd be fascinated to know how it evolved up until 1492! Byzantium gives some idea, and by the time that fell it was not much at all like classical Rome. My 'Other Rome' series of four books looks at an alternative history for the Late Republic but only from 90 B.C. up to 140 AD.

Have you plotted out those centuries in between?

P.S. My fourth book 'Terrapulchra' posits a Roman trader stumbling across the Caribbean in 63 A.D. and discovering the gold of the Maya. He then sets up a secret trading post and pirate base so he can exclude competition. Downloadable through Goodreads for free, as are the other books in the series.

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Edward | 2 comments I have a general history that I wrote, though most of that stayed off the page. I like world-building, and I struggle a little with exposition and show-not-tell. So I tried to focus on telling the story rather than writing a fictitious social studies book!

message 4: by Tito (new)

Tito Athano (bobspringett) | 69 comments Robert wrote: "I have a general history that I wrote, though most of that stayed off the page. I like world-building, and I struggle a little with exposition and show-not-tell. So I tried to focus on telling the ..."

Very wise, Robert.

I get too much caught up in the detail myself.

message 5: by Tito (new)

Tito Athano (bobspringett) | 69 comments Robert wrote: "I'm looking for a beta reader for my latest work, which still doesn't have a title (open to suggestions!)

The premise is that the Roman Empire did not collapse (nor did it spin off the Holy Roman ..."

Hi Robert,

I have some time now. If you're still looking for a Beta, I'm here.

I prefer to work in Word, leaving marginal notes on the run and consolidated comments every fifty pages or so. I do NOT touch the base text.

bspringett@iprimus.com.au