Play Book Tag discussion

A Thousand Splendid Suns
This topic is about A Thousand Splendid Suns
January 2020: Thriller > (Poll Ballot Tally and Decades Bingo) A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hossein 5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

DianeMP | 402 comments 5 Stars

A Thousand Splendid Suns tells the story of a country, Afghanistan, at war with various countries for a span of thirty years. First, it was fighting between various warlord factions. Next came Russia with its unsuccessful attempt to conquer the nation. Once the Russians were ousted the Taliban tried to take control of the region. Lastly, America had its share of conflict there too. But it's also a story of friendship, trust, loss and sacrifice between the two female leads with the story. Miriam, and later Liela must endure the hardship of on-going war amid the tyranny of an anachronistic, brutal paternal society.

Each woman has her own history and backstory until they are brought together under unusual circumstances. They both wind up the wives of the same abusive husband. Though in great conflict, the women form a bond of shared suffering and hardship learning to trust one another in the very worst of times. Eventually, a final hardship and self-sacrifice unite the women even beyond the grave.

I found the suffering of the women to be almost unbearable. The men in their lives, either through casual acquaintance or as part of marriage, intruded and suppressed these women at every turn.

KateNZ | 2321 comments I felt the same as you - it hurt so much, but what a beautiful book.

Honestly, Hosseini could write a version of the telephone directory and I’d read it ...

Susie | 4488 comments Ditto Kate!

DianeMP | 402 comments Lol, Kate, and very true!