Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Dragon's Code by Gigi McCaffrey - 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4986 comments After a long hiatus, I'm back in Pern, at the story's present time, and at long last we have a decent story! Gigi McCaffrey's writing is a vast improvement over her brother's, and I hope she won't stop here. She's not quite as good as her mother, and this first dip into writing has shown that she can handle the world and the characters her mother created. They feel right, as these events happen in the midst of the story The White Dragon, giving us Piemur's point of view and fleshing out his involvement in the events. We see his character develop more, and although at times his introspection gets a little too long, it never becomes overly tedious.

My only beef was the ending - she resorted to a "grand gesture" that came off as a bit forced and kinda corny. But that was one minor blip in an otherwise solid offering, and it was nice to see familiar characters come to life again. My rating is 3.5 stars, but I'll round up.

message 2: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2339 comments Great recommendation, thanks! I do love the Pern books but hadn’t read any co-written by the son (had heard they weren’t great), so it’s lovely to know they’re now in good hands

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7508 comments I still need to have my first visit to Pern! Thanks for reminding me

message 4: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2822 comments I just want to go back to the first book and read them all again. I'm not interested in any of the books she co-wrote with her son or that he wrote alone. I do wonder if I would enjoy the series if I read it for the first time now. It was just what I needed when I was in my mid-twenties. When I wasn't absorbed in my first years of teaching, I was escaping to either Pern or Darkover.

message 5: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4986 comments I loved the original series, even the YA trilogy about Menolly (despite her penchant for Mary Jane characters). You can definitely skip all the books by her son - they are rehashes of the same story his mother wrote and contributed nothing new to the world she created.