Read Women discussion

Archive > March Non-Fiction

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (last edited Jan 11, 2020 01:13PM) (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 2179 comments Mod
Nominations for our March non-fiction 2020 read are now open. And the theme is...Travel.

Any non-fiction book with a theme of travel qualifies, if written by a female author or authors. Travel memoirs, outdoor literature, guidebooks, adventure memoirs, nature writing, memoirs of enslaved persons about the middle passage and more are included.

Criteria:
1. A nonfiction book that fits the travel theme and is authored by a female author (transwomen and women using male pseudonyms are women).
2. Do not nominate a book we've read (check our bookshelf) or a book you have written, or for which you are the publicist.

How to Nominate:
1. Give both the title of the book and the author's name when nominating to avoid confusion.
2. Use the 'add book/author' button.
3. Indicate whether you are willing or not to lead discussion if your nomination is chosen.
4. One nomination per member.

Nominations will close on January 15th.

Noms as of 11Jan:

My Journey to Lhasa: The Classic Story of the Only Western Woman Who Succeeded in Entering the Forbidden City by Alexandra David-Néel

Alone Time: Four Seasons, Four Cities, and the Pleasures of Solitude by Stephanie Rosenbloom

Baghdad Sketches by Freya Stark

message 3: by Carol (new)

I nominate Baghdad Sketches: Journeys through Iraq by Freya Stark. I can lead.

message 5: by Cam (new)

Cam | 95 comments I nominate My Journey to Lhasa: The Classic Story of the Only Western Woman Who Succeeded in Entering the Forbidden City by Alexandra David-Néel. An earlier translation is also freely available on Internet Archive.

I can lead.

message 6: by Carol (new)

We've got 3 varied and intriguing choices so far. 4 days to nominate another you'd like to read in March!

message 7: by Carol (new)

Thanks everyone. Nominations are now closed. I'll include a link to the poll when it's live.

message 8: by Carol (new)

The poll is up and may be accessed at our group landing page and also from this link:

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 10: by Dilek (new)

Dilek | 15 comments I'll be reading Alone Time but I also downloaded a copy of Journey to Lhasa from Internet Archive (thanks @Cam). Hoping to find time to have a look at it, too.