Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

My Cousin Rachel
This topic is about My Cousin Rachel
Book Discussion and Reviews > My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 7796 comments Mod
I am 66% through this novel and just really blown away by how much I'm actually enjoying reading it. Daphne du Maurier seems to have a way with settings and characters that makes you want to keep reading, despite the classic setting and more formal writing.

That being said, I kind of really hate Phillip (much like I hated the unnamed narrator in Rebecca). He's so, so naive and silly and unobservant, and I feel like a terrible fate awaits him (but please, no spoilers until I finish this thing!).

message 2: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 384 comments Emily, what did you think of this if you’ve finished reading it’s? I’ve got tickets to see this at the theatre in a couple of weeks. I’ve never read the book, so I’m not sure if I should read it before I go, or wait until after I’ve seen the play. I loved Rebecca, so I’m hoping it’s as good.

message 3: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 7796 comments Mod
I would say that it's not as good as Rebecca. It lacks the suspense and the creepiness that I was expecting from du Maurier.

That being said, I enjoyed it and read it to the end and, even though the narrator was quite annoying in his inability to see anything in front of him, I thought the story was compelling. I don't think you need to read it before you watch it though.