What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Fantasy/paranormal books with a strong female character

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Awan | 7 comments I've been looking for a good book to read for weeks and I cant find anything. I've already read all the sarah j Maas books and victoria Aveyards red queen series, and am looking for something similar.

message 2: by Cimorene_et_Jo (new)

Cimorene_et_Jo | 7 comments These are YA and not super similar, but might tide you over. I liked them enough when I was younger that I would still re-read. They would also be faster reads:
Blossom Culp series by Richard Peck.
The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede, who also wrote the Cecelia and Kate Series . Not as good as "Enchanted Forest," but a bit more grown-up.

message 3: by Ergative (new)

Ergative Absolutive | 40 comments For fantasy, anything by Kate Elliot. I like her Spiritwalker trilogy (Cold Magic , Cold Fire, Cold Steel), and her Crossroads trilogy ( Spirit Gate, Shadow Gate, Traitors' Gate) is a really sophisticated and wonderful look at power. Her Court of Fives trilogy is also excellent (Court of Fives, Poisoned Blade, Buried Heart).

For paranormal, you might like M. L. N. Hanover's Black Sun's Daughter books (start with Unclean Spirits).

And then, of course, there's Seanan McGuire's October Daye books (start with Rosemary and Rue) and her Cryptid books (start with Discount Armageddon).

message 4: by Anna (last edited Jan 11, 2020 01:52PM) (new)

Anna | 509 comments If you liked Sarah J. Maas, I think you should also enjoy Annette Marie's books. She writes very good female leads. I particularly liked the MC of Taming Demons for Beginners. Even though she starts as an absolute wimp she grows a backbone pretty fast and it's really enjoyable to observe the transformation.

TheBohemianBookworm | 116 comments The Darker Shades of Magic Series has a great main female character.

message 6: by MJ (new)

MJ | 1340 comments Traci Harding, several series and some stand alones. Big on reincarnation and becoming enlightened souls thru life’s lessons. Time travel too.
- The Ancient Future trilogy and fools up trilogy
- The Mystique series

Melanie Rawn, very old series, might have problems getting hold of. Different world that is split into princedoms. Head prince is an asshole to H looks to take over and build a better way... h is a powerful ‘sunrunner’ (kind of magic, and is not really supposed to marry into power)
- The Dragon Prince series and a follow up series

Katherine Kerr, started a long time ago, not sure about availability. Bad shit happens and lead character promises not to rest until it’s put right... covers centuries of him following and guiding all the linked souls thru multiple lives.
- The Deverry series

Karen Lynch, supernatural stuff. Vamps, demons, werewolves, fae etc. Follows teen h who is ‘other’ but doesn’t know what or why.
- Relentless series

Donna Augustine(?), h dies and is enlisted to the universe board as Karma. Costars include Fate, Luck, Murphy’s Law, Jinxes, and a few others. Santa and the like make appearances.
- Karma series

JC Diem, has three series all with ‘main’ female lead. My fav is about a teen h who gets enlisted to be backup for super secret agency... ends up supernatural and fighting the big bad, with lots of smaller jobs on the side.
- Seven Psychics, the Shifter Squad (I know, the name... it was actually the only reason I picked it up cause of the ridiculous name ;)

Nalini Singh, two UF series which are awesome! The latest books are struggling, but there’s still a good 12 or so great books in each series before it starts wobbling.
- The Guild Hunter series (Angel’s Blood), vamps, angels, and other all simply ‘part of the world’.
- The Psy/Changeling series (Slave to Sensation), shifters/changelings, Psy/mind powers, and human all ‘part of the world’ and in a power struggle essentially.

Erica Stevens, dystopian world that vamps have taken over. Humans fighting for freedom.
- Captive

Melissa Haag, reincarnated women/girls who are supposed to assess and judge the world to keep a balance. Bad guys have been screwing up the system aiming for their own benefit for generations.
- The Judgement series (HopeLess)

CM Owens
- The Daughters Trilogy, descendants of the ‘gods’.
- Faders, dystopian world where a machine ‘fades’ anyone breaking its laws from existence before they break the law. But it has no ‘reason’ as such.

Bethany Adams, modern day elves.
- Soulbonded

More Sci-Fi-ish

-Nimisha’s Ship. Future universe colonised.

- 3013: series. Adult! Yes, there’s lost of sex, but if you look around that, the world and stories as are awesome. I can’t remember any of the h’s being wimps. Multi authors, so search *3013:*

message 7: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1077 comments Sorrow's Knot by Erin Bow Sorrow's Knot

message 8: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1077 comments Sparrow Hill Road by Seanan McGuire Sparrow Hill Road

message 9: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany McCrary (tiffanymmccrary) | 3 comments A favorite genre of mine! All of the series below are YA fantasy series with strong (literally) female characters and solid romances that I think are along the lines of the series you mentioned.

Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton - Fantasy set in middle-eastern land with strong female character and killer romance

Gracelingby Kristin Cashore - also a trilogy but dont have to be read in order. First one in particular features strong, fighting girl and good romance

Girl of Fire and Thornsby Rae Carson - girl becomes strong which is satisfying. also a great romance

May want to consider starting any of Cassandra Clare's series as well. First book is City of Bones

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo - another trilogy (with more books/series after that in the same world).

Cruel Prince by Holly Black - incredible trilogy with well-developed characters, including bad-ass heroine and a steamy romance

Truthwitch by Susan Dennard - ongoing series that is very reminiscent of Throne of Glass

message 10: by Nora (new)

Nora | 112 comments Another recent thread with a similar topic that might give you some more titles: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 11: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1077 comments The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente and its sequels The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making

message 12: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 241 comments The Mistborn Trilogy by Brian Sanderson. The first book is The Final Empire. Also, Sabriel by Garth Nix.

message 13: by Catrina (new)

Catrina | 8 comments I strongly recommend Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik

message 14: by Carson (new)

Carson (explodingtardis10) | 28 comments I can't recommend anything more than House of Night series. I don't even really think it's a vampire series because the mythology is so much more than any other vampire book. I just finished it and it was incredible. I also recommend The Evil Queen by Gena Showalter, the Once Upon A Time series that are YA retellings of fairytales, especially Scarlet Moon and Midnight Pearls, Women of the Otherworld by Kelley Armstrong, and Paranormalcy by Kiersten White.