The Book Nook discussion

Let’s Talk About Reading Slumps and Goal Expectations

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara (new)

Sara McMinn (thebookishone) | 32 comments Mod
For the most part, I’ve always had a great time meeting and surpassing goals. I’d read during the night, at school, at work, in the mornings, in the evenings, and any other hour of the day where I had some time to myself. However, I find things have changed quite drastically. I do still enjoy reading with fever that’ll set the world aflame. But here, lately, I’m finding it progressively more difficult to begin and to finish.
Reading slumps are normal—lets get that out there. Tons of factors can come into play. Stress, depression, illness, etc. It’s nothing to be ashamed of. So, how does one push past the barrier? Here’s what I do.
Since starting a book is difficult for me, I’ll read bits and pieces to build an appetite. Then, once I’m interested, I’ll read one page at a time. If it continues to keep my attention, I’ll read a chapter. But I go slow. A little bit at a time. Much like a meal, if you consume content too fast before you’re ready, you’ll make yourself sick. It’s important to know your limits—can you read for fifteen minutes? How about ten?
So what about you? What causes your slumps and how do you cope?

message 2: by G-Soxx (new)

G-Soxx | 25 comments I try a different book than the one I was reading - sometimes, it'll shake things up and I'll end up returning to the book pre-slump, or I'll plod on with the current one. For me, if I'm reading fiction, then I'll pull out a non-fiction book, as an example. Or I'll read a comic book or graphic novel.

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara McMinn (thebookishone) | 32 comments Mod
That’s a great way to avoid slumps!