Mount TBR 2020 discussion

Mt. Ararat (48 books) > Petra's Third Try

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Petra (new)

Petra | 35 comments Hi everyone, I'm Petra and this is my third year joining this wonderful challenge.
This last year I actually slowed down with buying books and bought *only* 28 (of which I already read 15 last year and 1 this year!
Also, last year I really failed Mt. Kilimanjaro so this year I'm gonna start with Mt. Ararat and hopefully will upgrade to Mt. Kilimanjaro

message 2: by Petra (last edited Jan 19, 2020 05:02AM) (new)

Petra | 35 comments My first book of the year was one of my shelves and I loved it very very much

1. Postscript (P.S. I Love You, #2) by Cecelia Ahern

message 3: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Good luck with your climb Petra!

message 4: by Petra (new)

Petra | 35 comments Leslie wrote: "Good luck with your climb Petra!"

Thank you!

message 5: by Petra (last edited Jan 19, 2020 05:02AM) (new)

Petra | 35 comments 2. Defending Jacob by William Landay

4*/5*
I had this one sitting on my shelf for years and I finally picked it up a really enjoyed it. And after finishing it, I found out there will be a series based on it, starring Chris Evans (hell yeah)

message 6: by Petra (new)

Petra | 35 comments 3. Cybele's Secret (Wildwood, #2) by Juliet Marillier

Finally read this one (actually found an audiobook in my library) , it's sequel to Wildwood Dancing which I read about 2 years ago and quite liked. Sadly, this one fell totally flat for me and I didn't like characters at all.
2/5*

But at least I finished the series. Usually I donate or gift books I didn't like but I really like the cover and I don't want to separate the series so I think I will let in on my bookshelf for now

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Petra wrote: "My first book of the year was one of my shelves and I loved it very very much

1. Postscript (P.S. I Love You, #2) by Cecelia Ahern"

I am so excited I didn't even know P.S I love you had a second book. I will be moving this up on my list!

message 8: by Petra (new)

Petra | 35 comments Jennifer wrote: "Petra wrote: "My first book of the year was one of my shelves and I loved it very very much

1. Postscript (P.S. I Love You, #2) by Cecelia Ahern"

I am so excited I didn't even know P.S I love you had a second boo..."

Hope you love it as much as I do! I was worried it will not be as good and heartfelt as original cause I've been noticing a trend with authors making unneccessary sequels just as a quick money grab but this one really blew me off and it had amazing new characters.

message 9: by Petra (last edited Jan 28, 2020 06:39AM) (new)

Petra | 35 comments So far this year I've been good with reading books of my TBR

4. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

4.5/5*

My first reread of this year, actually I never read second part which is called Good Wives which I found so much more interesting, especially after I watched Little women 2019 movie which I loved. I liked all sisters but Amy was my favorite cause I couldn't stop imagining it as Florence Pugh. Also, can I please get one professor Bhaer for myself, pretty please

message 10: by Maria (new)

Maria | 35 comments With the (fantastic) new Little Women movie, I've seen so many Amy fans crawling out of the woodwork! All these years I thought I was the only one. :) (And of course I agree: Professor Bhaer in the movie was quite a babe.)

message 11: by Petra (new)

Petra | 35 comments Maria wrote: "With the (fantastic) new Little Women movie, I've seen so many Amy fans crawling out of the woodwork! All these years I thought I was the only one. :) (And of course I agree: Professor Bhaer in the..."

Oh yes they really did Amy a justice in this one. I'm interested to also see 2017 BBC miniseries where Kathryn Newton is playing her.
Also I understand why they casted a younger guy as Professor but I think it would be interesting to see if audience could still root for them in spite of age gap (cause I didn't mind it a bit when I watched 1994 version as a kid)

message 12: by Maria (new)

Maria | 35 comments Petra wrote: "Also I understand why they casted a younger guy as Professor but I think it would be interesting to see if audience could still root for th..."

Oh yes, I found the umbrella scene pretty romantic when my mom first read the book to me! I've just bought a new copy (since I can't find the one from childhood) and am excited to reread it for the first time since then.

message 13: by Petra (new)

Petra | 35 comments Maria wrote: "Petra wrote: "Also I understand why they casted a younger guy as Professor but I think it would be interesting to see if audience could still root for th..."

Oh yes, I found the umbrella scene pre..."

I wholeheartedly agree and his bond with her family also made me swoon! Hope you enjoy reading it!

message 14: by Petra (new)

Petra | 35 comments 5. Wicked The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (The Wicked Years, #1) by Gregory Maguire

2.5/5*
So, this one was so so WEIRD. Half of the time I was thinking what the hell am I even listening to but there were also some great parts and now I really want to see the musical (my best friend adores it)

message 15: by Petra (new)

Petra | 35 comments 6. The Testament of Loki (Loki #2) by Joanne M. Harris

4.5/5*
Loki is and always will be my favorite character in literature

message 16: by Petra (new)

Petra | 35 comments 7. Déjame que te cuente by Jorge Bucay

Not sure how to rate this one, it was interesting and a fast read and definitely out of my comfort zone so I'm glad I read it

message 17: by Petra (new)

Petra | 35 comments So far I'm really sticking to reading only books from my shelves, hope that will last

8. Message in a Bottle by Nicholas Sparks

3,5/5*
This was short and cute story, I didn't really connect with any of the characters and I felt things moved too fast for me to really enjoy. Ending was not shocking as I've read Nicholas Sparks before and I know he loves to end his stories in a tragic manner

message 18: by Petra (new)

Petra | 35 comments 9. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Loved it, especially the beginning was amazing 5/5

10. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

I was familiar with the story so I expected more and was left disappointed 3/5

11. Tales of the Peculiar (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #0.5) by Ransom Riggs

This was such an amazing surprise! I only read first Miss Peregrine Home book and I'm not planning to continue but I got this one for my birthday and I enjoyed the stories and illustrations so much
5/5

message 19: by Marie (new)

Marie (marie2) | 71 comments Doing good

message 20: by Petra (new)

Petra | 35 comments 12. Mr. Mercedes (Bill Hodges Trilogy, #1) by Stephen King

13. Finders Keepers (Bill Hodges Trilogy, #2) by Stephen King

Loved them both, 5 stars and I'm currently reading book 3 and The Alphabet House

message 21: by Petra (new)

Petra | 35 comments 14. End of Watch (Bill Hodges Trilogy, #3) by Stephen King

This one was my least favorite of the series but also really good 4/5*

message 22: by Petra (new)

Petra | 35 comments Continuing with my Stephen King marathon:

15. Godišnja doba knjiga 1 by Stephen King
4/5*

16. Godišnja doba knjiga 2 by Stephen King
5/5*

message 23: by Petra (new)

Petra | 35 comments So I forgot to update this for 3 whole months...

17. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
5/5*

18. Princesses Behaving Badly Real Stories from History—without the Fairy-Tale Endings by Linda Rodríguez McRobbie
4/5*

19. Lover at Last (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #11) by J.R. Ward
3/5*

20. King of Scars (Nikolai Duology, #1) by Leigh Bardugo
5/5*

21. The Professor by Charlotte Brontë
2/5*

I'm pretty much behind on this challenge but I hope I will manage to catch up now that I have so much free time

message 24: by Petra (new)

Petra | 35 comments 22. The Thief
Reread after so many years, still 5/5*

23. The Good Thief's Guide to Amsterdam
5/5*

24. The Book of Speculation
4/5*

message 25: by Petra (new)

Petra | 35 comments With the end of year being so near, I realize there is no chance I will finish this challenge but my hope is to still get to Mt. Vancouver (36 books)

25. The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy

26. The Queen of Nothing