The Cosy Bookish Corner discussion

Archived BOTM Discussions > January 2020 BOTM - Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tanya, Founder & Moderator (last edited Jan 08, 2020 12:46PM) (new)

Tanya (tanya23510) | 432 comments Mod
Hello Everyone!!

Welcome to our first BOTM of the year! This month we will be reading Little Women by Louise May Alcott.

As we have a few new members, I will do just a quick recap: we simply read the book at our own pace and then we come here to discuss!! There is no set discussion date, so just come and go as and when and please always use the Spoiler HTML, just in case ;-) I will post a few discussion questions near the end of the month to get the conversation started! :)

Also, new for 2020, don't forget you can earn badges just for participating, by being part of The Cosy Bookish BOTM Challenge 2020! (If you want to participate, just head over to the thread and put your name down!)

Cosy Reading!

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sayrawww) | 51 comments I'm reading Little Women right now, so this is perfect! I can't wait to join in on the discussion.

message 3: by Tanya, Founder & Moderator (new)

Sarah wrote: "I'm reading Little Women right now, so this is perfect! I can't wait to join in on the discussion."

Me too! How are you finding it so far?

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sayrawww) | 51 comments Tanya wrote: "Sarah wrote: "I'm reading Little Women right now, so this is perfect! I can't wait to join in on the discussion."

Me too! How are you finding it so far?"

It took a while for me to get into it, but I'm really enjoying the story development now. I just started part two. How about you? How are you finding it so far?

message 5: by Tanya, Founder & Moderator (new)

Sarah wrote: "Tanya wrote: "Sarah wrote: "I'm reading Little Women right now, so this is perfect! I can't wait to join in on the discussion."

Me too! How are you finding it so far?"

It took a while for me to g..."

I'm still on part one but mainly because I've just not had time! I'm curious though, does it pick up a bit in part two? (view spoiler)

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sayrawww) | 51 comments Tanya wrote: "I'm still on part one but mainly because I've just not had time! I'm curious though, does it pick up a bit in part two?

(view spoiler)

message 7: by Tanya, Founder & Moderator (new)

Sarah wrote: "Tanya wrote: "I'm still on part one but mainly because I've just not had time! I'm curious though, does it pick up a bit in part two?

[spoilers removed]"

Thanks!

message 8: by Tanya, Founder & Moderator (new)

Well everyone, we are almost at the end of the month!

How is everyone getting on with the book? I have to admit, I'm not really enjoying it - I keep trying to read Classics, and they just don't agree with me!! :( I've tried e-book, Hardback (which is GORGEOUS by the way, it's clothbound!!) and Audiobook version, but nothing! So I may DNF this one :(

So I really hope you enjoyed it way more than I did!!

So here are a few discussion questions to get the chat started- and don't forget about The Cosy Bookish BOTM Challenge 2020! Don't be shy, this is just for fun, so whether you've read the whole book, or like me, you've given up on it (*sigh*) just join in!!

(view spoiler)

The Cosy Bookish BOTM Challenge 2020

If you answer all the discussion questions, you will win a Bronze Badge!

Do you want a Silver Badge? Answer all the discussion questions and share a song/playlist/sound with us that reminds you of this book!

If you have done the two above and you can share with us what snack/beverage would go so well with the theme of the BOTM (or even just what you happened to be snacking on when you were reading the book!), you will win a Gold Badge!

☆ If you want to participate in the challenge, just let me know in the comments and you will get a lovely PM with your hard-earned badge! ☆

message 9: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (kelso30) | 82 comments I am afraid it's going on my DNF shelf as well, which is so disappointing because the 40's movie has always been one of my favorites.
-I do think it's still relevant in the sense that it encourages people to keep going and being kind and caring despite hard times for themselves. And of course for those religious people there are the subtle nudges to the "good book", which I'm sure if you are trying to raise a girl who cares about that sort of thing, maybe this would be good reading material.
-I always loved Jo, the fact that she was willing to keep trying to write and put herself out there. I always wanted to be like that. Plus she never cared what people thought of her, which is always the way to get through life, in my opinion.
-I would have to say this comes off really feminine to me. There's a whole lot of implications about how a girl should behave, or interact with people, or be seen. Which is fun to read about, but I don't care if I have white gloves or not. Lol.

I'm still working on the extra credit, lol.
Probably some gospel album, I just don't seem to have that in my mental catalog. And for the food I'm thinking like coffee (or tea for me, because coffee is gross) and some kind of tarts or pastry, small and snacky. Something they could enjoy in the garden.

message 10: by Tanya, Founder & Moderator (new)

Kelsey wrote: "I am afraid it's going on my DNF shelf as well, which is so disappointing because the 40's movie has always been one of my favorites."

I really need to watch it, I wonder if I will enjoy it a lot more than the book!

Kelsey wrote: "I'm still working on the extra credit, lol.." Oohh you've almost got a Gold Badge! ;)

Tea and pastries are perfect, I can just see it now haha