Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Books of the Month > Tuesday Mooney Talks to Ghosts by Kate Racculia - Feb 2020 Adult BOM - starts 2 Feb

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30837 comments Mod

A dying billionaire sends one woman and a cast of dreamers and rivals on a citywide treasure hunt in this irresistible novel by the author of Bellweather Rhapsody.

Tuesday Mooney is a loner. She keeps to herself, begrudgingly socializes, and spends much of her time watching old Twin Peaks and X-Files DVDs. But when Vincent Pryce, Boston’s most eccentric billionaire, dies—leaving behind an epic treasure hunt through the city, with clues inspired by his hero, Edgar Allan Poe—Tuesday’s adventure finally begins.

Puzzle-loving Tuesday searches for clue after clue, joined by a ragtag crew: a wisecracking friend, an adoring teen neighbor, and a handsome, cagey young heir. The hunt tests their mettle, and with other teams from around the city also vying for the promised prize—a share of Pryce’s immense wealth—they must move quickly. Pryce’s clues can't be cracked with sharp wit alone; the searchers must summon the courage to face painful ghosts from their pasts (some more vivid than others) and discover their most guarded desires and dreams.

A deliciously funny ode to imagination, overflowing with love letters to art, from The Westing Game to Madonna to the Knights of the Round Table, Tuesday Mooney Talks to Ghosts is the perfect read for thrill seekers, wanderers, word lovers, and anyone looking for an escape to the extraordinary

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jan 08, 2020 08:57AM) (new)

What is a BOM (Book of the Month)?

At NRBC we use a more structured approach to our BOMs. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. We ask for volunteers to write the discussion questions for each section, and to engage with responses from the other readers.

More info under spoiler
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Feb 04, 2020 02:00AM) (new)

Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters %age MPDQs

2&3 Feb 1 - 6 33% Kristina
4&5 Feb 7 - 12 66% Cat
6&7 Feb 13 - end 100% Carrie

Guidance for DQ setters
Aim for a reasonable number of questions: 4 - 5 is typical. Please don't post too many - any more than 7 gets unwieldy!
Use consecutive numbering of the DQs for your days. So, for example, if Day one is posted as questions 1-4, day two should start at number 5 etc.
Don't worry too much about your questions: you aren't being tested on how clever your questions are!
Hints and tips:
- Is there a quote that jumped out at you? Use that in a question.
- What about the characters - do they generate strong feelings? No feelings? - either way, we can explore that!
- What about that plot twist?!
- Explore the writing style: is there an unusual structure being used? what's the tone of voice like? or the point of view?

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jan 08, 2020 08:58AM) (new)

Ruby Coin Book of the Month ~ Ruby Coin Ruby Coin

How to Earn:
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for half DQ participation
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for Writing Disscussion Questions
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for completing ALL days DQs within month of BOM start
Example of ways to Earn Ruby Coins: (view spoiler)

Learn about Gem coins here

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jan 08, 2020 08:58AM) (new)

Volunteers to Write DQs

message 6: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

message 7: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 6628 comments Mod
I'm volunteering for DQs :)

but if this ends up with a portal fantasy I'm going to proper sulk!

message 8: by Jessi (new)

Jessi (jazzykitty) | 1553 comments Cat wrote: "I'm volunteering for DQs :)

but if this ends up with a portal fantasy I'm going to proper sulk!"

I'm with ya! I didn't participate in the BOM for The Ten Thousand Doors of January because I got a late start on it and so I was trying to read that one and The Starless Sea at the same time. My brain wants to explode now.

This one does sound really interesting so I will join in on the discussion. Don't know about DQs yet. If you guys need another volunteer then I will throw my name in but for now I'm going to hang back.

message 9: by Cherry (new)

Cherry | 74 comments This will be my first BOM discussion. When do they post the list of “what pages to read when”?

message 10: by Cat (new)

Cherry, the reading schedule will be posted a few days before we start reading :)

message 11: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

This is our adult book of the month for February, "the perfect read for thrill seekers, wanderers, word lovers, and anyone looking for an escape to the extraordinary"
Please come join the discussion - and volunteer to write some questions too!

message 12: by kristinaaa (new)

kristinaaa (kristinaslitlifestyle) I'm in for the discussion! I'm brand new to this group so not confident about volunteering for DQs, but if absolutely needed I can try. :)

message 13: by Cat (new)

kristinaaa wrote: "I'm in for the discussion! I'm brand new to this group so not confident about volunteering for DQs, but if absolutely needed I can try. :)"

Kristina, if you are willing to try that would be fab! I often find doing the first section is the easiest, so if you'd be willing to, I'd be SO grateful :)

As it says in post 3 - we don't need loads of questions - 4 is usually plenty, and nor do we expect deep textual analysis - it's a book group discussion not a school assignment :)

Looking at the length of the book, and scarcity of volunteers, I'll probably segment it into about three chunks, each over a couple of days. I'll get the breaks up later today.

message 14: by Cherry (new)

Cherry | 74 comments I’ve got my copy on my nightstand and am ready for that new book smell :)

message 15: by kristinaaa (new)

kristinaaa (kristinaslitlifestyle) Cat wrote: "kristinaaa wrote: "I'm in for the discussion! I'm brand new to this group so not confident about volunteering for DQs, but if absolutely needed I can try. :)"

Kristina, if you are willing to try t..."

Twist my rubber arm! I guess I'm in for the first part then. :)

message 16: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10173 comments Well... I guess I can *glups* join in and do last day.

If you have more volunteers, feel free to ditch me. If not, I can help.

message 17: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carriele1216) | 985 comments I'll volunteer for questions if you still need someone. This will be my first time doing them though!

message 18: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 1132 comments @ Cat and other UK people

Are you just reading the US kindle version or getting the book from NetGalley? Amazon is saying the book doesn't come out in the UK till Oct.

And the kindle version is $13 which I think is insane for an e-book so may have to pass on this one since my library also doesn't have it (well, my NY library does, but it's an 8 week wait)

message 19: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10173 comments Victoria wrote: "@ Cat and other UK people

Are you just reading the US kindle version or getting the book from NetGalley? Amazon is saying the book doesn't come out in the UK till Oct.

And the kindle version is..."

There is an UK Edition called Tuesday Mooney Wore Black (same book different name)

Tuesday Mooney Wore Black by Kate Racculia

I checked amazon and the kindle version is £2.99. I hope that helps.

UK amazon link

message 20: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 1132 comments Thank you! I hadn't realized that was the same book.

Also, my kindle was still registered to the US store so I never see the prices for UK kindle books. But I switched it to the UK store and was able to purchase

Which means I have no excuse not to participate in the BOM :)

message 21: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 1132 comments And can't believe the US kindle edition is $12.99 and UK £2.99

message 22: by Cat (new)

hurrah!

Sonia, thanks for that :)

message 23: by Cat (new)

Carrie wrote: "I'll volunteer for questions if you still need someone. This will be my first time doing them though!"

Carrie, if you're willing that'd be great! It's Kristina's first go too, so you're in good company, not to mention supportive company from the rest of us :)

message 24: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10173 comments Well, to be honest, on the book page there was a question about the difference between the two books. And the answer explained it was the same.

So, I just did what I do best... looked into details :D

message 25: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 1132 comments ahh, but see I did what I do best which was looking no further than the title XD

But the UK release date for "Talks with Ghosts" is what really threw me off as Amazon.co.uk said it wasn't released till Oct 2020. But now when I check it's available, having been released in Oct 2019. So, either it was a mistake on the website that's been fixed or I'm going crazy (probably the latter lol)

message 26: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10173 comments Well... I'm a software tester, so, I tend to think it was a mistake later corrected. I also tend to grab things if the price is way cheaper than usual in the odds that is a price load that had an undetected bug. (And take screenshots to prove I was right, in case someone asks me for the real price later)

I promise I only use my super powers for good... or to apply two discounts at the same time for domino's pizza

message 27: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carriele1216) | 985 comments Cat wrote: "Carrie wrote: "I'll volunteer for questions if you still need someone. This will be my first time doing them though!"

Carrie, if you're willing that'd be great! It's Kristina's first go too, so yo..."

I'm good to go for the last questions!

message 28: by Lexi (new)

Lexi | 2613 comments I hope you all enjoy and Cat, no portal fantasy. I read this when it came out as I live where it takes place and this book is very accurate on place. It reminds me very strongly of another book but to tell you all which one is kind of spoilery.

message 29: by Cat (new)

Lexi, thanks for the no portal reassurance! should be a fun read :)

message 30: by Alissa (new)

Alissa (read-y-picker) | 28 comments Very excited! This is the first time a BOM was actually available at my library. And what a winner, too! So far it’s my kind of quirky! Looking forward to the DQs and hearing what everyone else thinks. Also, if anyone here is aware of similarly styled books I’d love some recs 🤓🤓

message 31: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carriele1216) | 985 comments I'm really enjoying this book as well!

message 32: by Frances (new)

Frances C. I'm so happy that I decided to join in! This is a great book, and so far is a pretty quick read. A little hard to put down, even.

message 33: by kristinaaa (last edited Feb 02, 2020 03:12PM) (new)

kristinaaa (kristinaslitlifestyle) Hello fellow readers! Below are questions for Chapters 1-6 of Tuesday Mooney Talks to Ghosts.

1. Where do you think Matilda Tillerman fits into all of this?

2. These characters are all so witty and quick and interesting. I'm finding myself really drawn to these types of characters lately, while also feeling like they're unrealistic (I wish I knew people half as fun and smart as Tuesday or Mo or Lila in this book). Do you enjoy these types of characters - why or why not?

3. What do you think is going on with all the missing people? What do you think is going on with all the mentions of witches and ghosts and death?! I'm finding it difficult to decipher what's relevant and what's not.

4. So far I’m not into the lust/romance that Racculia is building between Tuesday and Archie. I just wish that there were more books where our badass main female character didn’t have a romantic subplot at all, because sometimes it’s just unnecessary! Do you like where Tuesday and Archie’s romance is going? Do you think it’s fitting in this story?

Bonus question! Would YOU have fired Gary?

message 34: by Cat (new)

DQ Set 1 - chapters 1 - 6

I keep wondering! The opening prologue was super creepy and I was worried the rest of the book was going to be like that (full on creaking doors horror isn't my jam). I wonder if the house was bought by Vincent? Where is Brookline anyway? Massachusetts?

2. These characters are all so witty and quick and interesting. I'm finding myself really drawn to these types of characters lately, while also feeling like they're unrealistic (I wish I knew people half as fun and smart as Tuesday or Mo or Lila in this book). Do you enjoy these types of characters - why or why not?
I'm loving the characters, though I agree they aren't entirely realistic. I adore Tuesday & Dex & their friendship. Archie I'm keeping a cautious eye on.

3. What do you think is going on with all the missing people? What do you think is going on with all the mentions of witches and ghosts and death?! I'm finding it difficult to decipher what's relevant and what's not.
It's a bit overdone, at the moment it feels like it's a way to explain why Tuesday is so quirky (sad backstory etc etc), but maybe it will link in. I've also wondered if I'd get it if I had greater familiarity with Poes work - that there are deliberate links that way.

4. So far I’m not into the lust/romance that Racculia is building between Tuesday and Archie. I just wish that there were more books where our badass main female character didn’t have a romantic subplot at all, because sometimes it’s just unnecessary! Do you like where Tuesday and Archie’s romance is going? Do you think it’s fitting in this story?
No! We don't need a romantic subplot! I guess it explains why she lets him hang about though. I'm liking Dex's romantic interest options though :)

Eeeeesh.... If it's the first time (and there haven't been any till discrepancies before) then I'd probably have let him off with a warning. But if it was a case of "ahhh.... that's why the tills haven't balanced" then he'd have been told to sling his theiving-ass hook!

message 35: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carriele1216) | 985 comments Hello fellow readers! Below are questions for Chapters 1-6 of Tuesday Mooney Talks to Ghosts.

I'm not sure where Tillerman fits into this. I've been thinking about the prologue a lot. The only thing I keep coming back to is the man looking to purchase the house having the name Usher and Pryce's game being centered around Poe. Perhaps the house is where all the clues are leading to?

I agree that they are unrealistic but I find that they are so enjoyable on the page. I love Tuesday's quirkiness and intelligence. She seems like someone I would want to know IRL. Dex kind of gets on my nerves a bit. He's over the top at times. I enjoy the bantering back and forth between the characters however and think it makes for an enjoyable story overall.

I have no idea what's going on with the missing people and can't wait to find out more.

I haven't made up my mind yet. I think Nathaniel is mysterious and I'm intrigued by the way he acts towards Tuesday. He's flirtatious and yet standoffish as well. I think it's safe to assume he's keeping a huge secret from her and that they definitely don't trust each other. I guess I don't mind the idea of something blooming between the two of them because at this point in the story I feel like it's subtextual and not being thrown in the readers face directly.

This is a tough one! I feel like Gary should get a second chance but how can you trust someone who steals from you??? Who knows how many times he did it before!!
I actually feel like this snippet gave us insight into the type of person Patrick is BUT even more so into Dex!!!

message 36: by Jessi (new)

Jessi (jazzykitty) | 1553 comments Chapters 1-6 of Tuesday Mooney Talks to Ghosts.

I haven't a clue how she fits in yet!

I enjoy them. I don't really care if book characters are a bit out there. And who knows there could be people just like them that we've never met.

I don't know what's going on there. There does seem to be quite a bit to try to remember so far in this book.

No and I wish the author had just left the romance out of it! I'm getting tired of author's feeling like they HAVE to include a romance in there when it doesn't benefit the story in any way.

Like others mentioned, if it was an ongoing problem of missing money then yes, otherwise, no I wouldn't have. I probably would have lent him $20 of my own money too.

message 37: by Cherry (new)

Cherry | 74 comments I can’t seem to figure out how to copy and paste the DQs. Everybody can’t be retyping them. Help!

1) I think Matilda’s house might be the important.

2) I’m loving the sarcasm and wit of the characters.

3) I think the missing people will come into play when “Tuesday Mooney Talks to Ghosts”?

4) The romance stuff is a little all over the place. Tuesday and Archie. Dex and everyone.

Bonus) Yes. In a heartbeat.

message 38: by Frances (new)

Frances C. 1. Where do you think Matilda Tillerman fits into all of this?
I had no idea until the end where Matilda Tillerman fit in. (I read ahead today! I really enjoyed the book a lot.)

I work with gifted high school students and these types of characters always remind me of my students. I will admit that I enjoy these kinds of characters more in books than in real life.

There was a lot of information up front. So much! I had trouble figuring out what was relevant as well. At this point in the book, I had no idea.

Eh. I didn't think they were "made for each other." They just didn't seem to click in the way they needed to for a real romance. I kind of wish that the romance had been downplayed even more than it was.

I would have fired Gary. I don't think it was his first time "borrowing" from the till.

message 39: by Cat (new)

Cherry wrote: "I can’t seem to figure out how to copy and paste the DQs. Everybody can’t be retyping them. Help!"

I'm on the website, with a computer, so copy/paste works easily with a mouse (ctrl C / ctrl V) & sticking the cursor in the right place to type is simples. Not sure that I'd bother if I was using the app!

message 40: by Cat (new)

DQ Set 2: Chapters 7 - 12

5. The underground theatre sounds super cool, and it's very sad that it's been left to go derelict. That said, what do you think of the instructions to "Seek well"? Also: would you have taken more than one envelope?

6. Tuesday finally starts to talk to ghosts! Well, a ghost - Abby. Do you think she is really talking to Abby's ghost? We also learn that she tuned Abby out, by cutting herself of from her pre-disappearance personality. Do you think that, as she's engaging with more and more people, Abby's ghost will return?

7. Well, we've found a thoroughly bad lot in the smug entitled Nathaniel (the real one!). Do you suspect him of more bad-eggery towards Archie and/or his father? What do you think happened with Archie?

8. It's revealed that Bert, aka Rabbit (I don't even know!) is the Banker and part of the game, and has more secrets to reveal at the right time. What do you think is going to happen in the rest of the story?

message 41: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Ridley | 35 comments 1. No idea where the Tillerman house fits in but I’m looking forward to finding out
2. I enjoy the characters but they aren’t representative of the people I surround myself with in my life. I’d probably find them slightly irritating in real life
3. I’m not sure but I’m really liking the direction of the book and seeing how it all comes together
4. To me they don’t seem like a natural fit. One billionaire play boy type and one slight gothic loner. I think he may be using her.
5. 100%. The trust has gone

First post so don’t be too hard on me 😂

message 42: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 1132 comments Chapters 1-6

I'm glad you asked as I'd forgotten about the prologue! Sounds like the buyer could have been Vince or the house has some connection to Poe, but really don't know

I'm really liking the characters. They are a tad unrealistic, but it doesn't bother me too much (at least not yet)

I'm not sure what's going on with the missing people or the references to witches/ghosts. I'm mostly confused as to whether or not this is a fantasy. Are there actual witches and ghost that are going to appear, or is it just imagery. I know it's tagged as Fantasy, but people tag things that don't make sense.

I don't think this story needs a romance, but don't mind if it does. If things are done well in the end I'll be happy, otherwise I'll end up thinking it was completely unnecessary. But too early for me to tell. Also, Archie is clearly hiding something and not sure if he's friend or foe.

I agree with others that if money was consistently missing I'd fire him, but since it was a first time offensive and he's otherwise a good guy/worker I'd prob let him off with a warning. But if money kept disappearing and/or he wasn't a good employee I'd fire him (or if I just didn't like him lol)

message 43: by Alissa (new)

Alissa (read-y-picker) | 28 comments 1. Where do you think Matilda Tillerman fits into all of this?
Ok it may be a stretch BUT I think that Usher is Pryce. The house may be or contain the thing that Archie is after. I think Tuesday will probably end up there at some point in the story. Maybe Matilda fits into some Arches family history. A dark secret involving Arches sr?

Loving these characters. For me it keeps things moving fast, witnessing their persona laities like this rather than a having them explained. I’m also struggling with Dex. As much as he’s supposed to be like super posh and attractive and put together, I can’t stop picturing him as Damian from the movie Mean Girls!

I think that Abby’s story is only there for Tuesday’s baggage. Archie’s father’s storyline will come back into play before it’s all over, I’m sure!

I don’t see it going anywhere in that direction. Not getting romance vibes. It’s one thing to admire someone’s appearance, another to fall for them. It’s a little annoying how the author keeps pushing them together and then apart. I don’t think they’ll get together. She just wants to tease it. As if there’s not enough action in the story!

Oh Gary Gary Gary. First of all, I don’t think there was mention of him actually giving the twenty back lol. It’s a tough call. If he’s really a good one I thought maybe give him another chance but take him off the till? Except that he may not be able to perform as fast as his younger counterparts on the production line... as you can maybe imagine I actually put quite a bit of thought into this as I was reading it!

message 44: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carriele1216) | 985 comments DQ Set 2: Chapters 7 - 12

5. The underground theatre sounds super cool, and it's very sad that it's been left to go derelict. That said, what do you think of the instructions to "Seek well"? Also: would you have taken more than one envelope?

I have no idea what is meant by seek well. Perhaps it's not a clue for the game but instructions for life in general. Seek well people who will support you in your endeavors. Seek well things that will make you happy. Seek well to live your best life. Idk.

The envelopes - I thought about this. The idea of teams and individuals and a limited number of envelopes. I liked the idea that taking more than 2 (although I would have argued 3) would not be in the spirit of the game BUT I still might have been tempted to see what was in the other envelopes. (I'm assuming the cash but did each hold a different playing card altogether or were there repeats?)

6. Tuesday finally starts to talk to ghosts! Well, a ghost - Abby. Do you think she is really talking to Abby's ghost? We also learn that she tuned Abby out, by cutting herself of from her pre-disappearance personality. Do you think that, as she's engaging with more and more people, Abby's ghost will return?

I don't think she is talking to Abby's ghost. I think she has struggled with her disappearance and felt a tremendous amount of guilt and responsibility surrounding the events leading to her disappearance. I think the conversations she is having (with the ghost) are actually manifestations with herself trying to work out what really happened that night.

I think we will hear more from Abby's ghost. I can't imagine this would be a story segment that the reader will not get answers to.

7. Well, we've found a thoroughly bad lot in the smug entitled Nathaniel (the real one!). Do you suspect him of more bad-eggery towards Archie and/or his father? What do you think happened with Archie?

It seems Nat is selfish and self-centered. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he was responsible for his father's death (disappearance) out of greed and wanting the company. The way he has been described thus far, I can't imagine he sought revenge for how his father treated his mother and brother.

I was a bit taken back by Tuesday's reaction to the folder. She seems to leap to the conclusion that Archie sold her out. I'm not so sure that he is ghosting her. I think something indeed may have happened to him.

8. It's revealed that Bert, aka Rabbit (I don't even know!) is the Banker and part of the game, and has more secrets to reveal at the right time. What do you think is going to happen in the rest of the story?

Good question. There's so much we don't see to know about Bert. I think we are going to discover more about Archie and his relationship with Pryce though and that is what will take center stage and unravel the mystery/game.

message 45: by Cat (new)

DQ Set 2: Chapters 7 - 12

I think it's about meeting the spirit of the game - which means that I'd not take more than one envelope. I probably would've looked at what playing cards were the envelope, to work out if the 52nd missing one was significant (and was very confused why they didn't pick up on 51 envelopes is one short of a full pack....)

It's very clever - the way it's portrayed in the book it's like the talking-to-ghosts Tuesday is more mentally healthy than the Tuesday who doesn't talk to ghosts (mentioned her withdrawing from life when she stopped engaging with Abby) but this is opposite to the standard norms.

Nathaniel is bad news! I assumed that he'd stolen the folder from Archie, and probably done evilness to Archie, rather than Archie giving Tuesday up - and, like Carrie says, I was cross with Tuesday's assumptions here.
I suspect that Nathaniel is involved in the dad's disappearance.

Revelations about Archeses misdemeanours! and the Tillerman house will be brought back into it.

message 46: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Williams | 545 comments I just got the book from the library, so I’ll catch up as we go!

message 47: by Cherry (new)

Cherry | 74 comments Melissa wrote: "I just got the book from the library, so I’ll catch up as we go!"

Welcome Melissa. It's an easy read that we all seem to be enjoying so you'll catch up in no time ;)

message 48: by Cherry (new)

Cherry | 74 comments You were right Cat. Much easier to update from the website. The phone ap could use some TLC.

message 49: by Cat (new)

I think most people want the app to be completely reworked! I certainly don't go near it!

message 50: by Alissa (new)

Alissa (read-y-picker) | 28 comments Ugh the app is a mess! My iPad shows me the first message in the thread always so I contantly have to scroll through every comment. But I have been signing on to the website in my iPad browser and it works fine.

« previous 1