Lit 102 Spring 2020 discussion

Last Chance (Book #3)
This topic is about Last Chance
Last Chance Pg 349

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J. (new) - added it

J. Bliss | 111 comments Mod
What could you see from the words from the scene?
Last Chance

message 2: by Tyson (new)

Tyson D. | 16 comments I can definitely see one of those Open Markets that Paris is famous for. People selling their bread and pastries. I can see a mime in the background and people in those berets hocking their baguettes.

In the art studio, I envision the open environment, canvases in circles in the middle of the room with wooden chairs decorating the floor as well.

message 3: by Jamila (new)

Jamila | 16 comments I see they’re walking through a village like scenery through Paris. What we would consider Flea Markets or Open Vendors on the streets.

From the description of art around the wall, and strong smell of acrylics I can see them being in a paint gallery. The mentioning of open ceilings makes the scenery sound very archaic. The ladies were noticeably new comers. Based off of the French greetings, it’s giving they’re trying to fit in. Giving that the lady of the art studio Karen was also American allowed a sense of comfort.

message 4: by J. (new) - added it

Jamila wrote: "I see they’re walking through a village like scenery through Paris. What we would consider Flea Markets or Open Vendors on the streets.

From the description of art around the wall, and strong sme..."
Jamila interesting observation. The recalling of flea Markets is a new perspective, interesting. I'd like to know, what gave you the impression Karen is American? Or the ladies are trying to fit in?

message 5: by J. (new) - added it

Tyson wrote: "I can definitely see one of those Open Markets that Paris is famous for. People selling their bread and pastries. I can see a mime in the background and people in those berets hocking their baguett..."

Nicely states Tyson. 😊 I enjoyed your observation.

message 6: by Jaliyah (new)

Jaliyah Webster | 17 comments I could picture people coming in and out of the mart. Jasmine description on the fruit made me know it looked delicious and ready to eat. I could hear Karen speaking in French then in English. Seeing them walking into this big empty art studio smiling and all the canvas ready to be used. I could also picture her taking a deep breath smelling all the paint.

message 7: by Kilolo (new)

Kilolo Epps | 2 comments I can them walking through the crowded village looking at the beautifully made cake pastries and the smell the fresh bread . How beautiful and relaxing this place is how beautiful the paintings were and how open the floor plan was and vibrant and bright yellow paint.

message 8: by J. (new) - added it

Jaliyah wrote: "I could picture people coming in and out of the mart. Jasmine description on the fruit made me know it looked delicious and ready to eat. I could hear Karen speaking in French then in English. Seei..."
Very good, the words are painting details in your mind. I want to know how does the details make you feel as you read them? This is the aspect you are keeping from me, as I read your response. Remember, the elements work together to make the reader respond. How does the details you describe make you responsed?

message 9: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Grant | 11 comments Based on the vivid words from the story, I could see that from Jasmine's point of view she's in a new environment, in which one that is inviting. Both Jasmine and Krisha are falling in love with the surroundings. Also, perhaps sightseeing things they may have never seen in America.

message 10: by Kilolo (new)

Kilolo Epps | 2 comments I agree with Tyson

message 11: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Grant | 11 comments In response to Tyson's comment, I agree. because of the words, the reader is able to paint a picture as to the scenery in Paris , and how each detail affects Jasmine and Krisha in a positive way

message 12: by Dillan (new)

Dillan | 17 comments Based on the word choices the author used in the story I could see that the character, Jasmine really observed the nice portraits that were being displayed in the studio gallery that they were that they were walking through while trying to find out which one off the canvases they wanted to explore the meaning of, while looking. The canvases displayed very vibrant colors that caught the eye of Jasmine. I could also see that Jasmine really enjoyed the environment that she was in Because she smelt the aroma of acrylic in the air , and that set a peaceful mood within her spirit.

message 13: by J. (new) - added it

Kilolo wrote: "I can them walking through the crowded village looking at the beautifully made cake pastries and the smell the fresh bread . How beautiful and relaxing this place is how beautiful the paintings wer..."
I am happy you could see those items.
As you progress in class, now that we have the goodreads acceptance cleared, be sure to post within twenty four hours from the time the post is assigned to allow you time to respond to peers and read my remarks.

message 14: by J. (new) - added it

Dillan wrote: "Based on the word choices the author used in the story I could see that the character, Jasmine really observed the nice portraits that were being displayed in the studio gallery that they were that..."
Nice observation.

message 15: by J. (new) - added it

Brittany wrote: "Based on the vivid words from the story, I could see that from Jasmine's point of view she's in a new environment, in which one that is inviting. Both Jasmine and Krisha are falling in love with th..."
Nice observation

message 16: by J. (new) - added it

Jaliyah wrote: "I could picture people coming in and out of the mart. Jasmine description on the fruit made me know it looked delicious and ready to eat. I could hear Karen speaking in French then in English. Seei..."
Nice I like the mentioning of bilingual.

message 17: by Carson (new)

Carson Simpson | 11 comments I got a sense of old world Parisian charm as the building seemed to be on the smaller side yet it encapsulated grandeur With it’s detailed wooden railing that lead up to a grand staircase, also the wooden decorative glass doors and the stone dragon that flanked the door. I could also see that dr Yang had a bubbly and enthusiastic spirit to her, also Dr.Yang seemed to be a very welcoming person.

message 18: by Anwar (new)

Anwar | 7 comments From listening to this reading, I couldn’t help but to see the dorm that jasmine would be staying in at college and all it’s architectural designs that she pointed out. These included the wooden decorative doors the small evaluator and the intercom they had to push that was on the wall in order to get someone’s attention. She also pointed out how grand the staircase was. This along with a few extra examples tells me that the building was ancient and very detailed. Listening to this reading gave me a small bit of insight as to how Paris would feel like if I was to go. It’s also something about Dr.Young’s character that makes me feel like she would help Jasmine enjoy her college experience.

message 19: by J. (last edited Jan 10, 2020 08:00PM) (new) - added it

Anwar wrote: "From listening to this reading, I couldn’t help but to see the dorm that jasmine would be staying in at college and all it’s architectural designs that she pointed out. These included the wooden de..."
Very nice. This is not on the correct feed. Your observation painted a picture of what you saw and how the words from the author impacted your imagination to see yourself visiting Paris. I appreciated you noticing the communication aspect. I am enjoying the observation, you convey. 👍🏼

message 20: by J. (last edited Jan 10, 2020 08:01PM) (new) - added it

Carson wrote: "I got a sense of old world Parisian charm as the building seemed to be on the smaller side yet it encapsulated grandeur With it’s detailed wooden railing that lead up to a grand staircase, also the..."
Carson, I liked your word choice. 😃I appreciate the details of the sight and how you pointed out Dr. Young's spirit. She is a vibrant personality and I am happy you picked up on that. Nicely done.
This is not on the correct feed.
Be sure to check your spelling👁️ as this is a grade.

message 21: by Sontez (new)

Sontez Williams | 16 comments Based off the words I heard from the audio I can see that this is a top notch place that Jasmine is not use to. It my head it seems like a fancy living quarters in Paris that tourist come and stay when they are visiting. The reason I say that is because when Jasmine describe the wooden rails going up the grand stairs. It is definitely something Jasmine is not use to seeing and you can tell from the word choice she used. At the same time it also put a picture in my head of a college doorm room from the designs Jasmine pointed out.

message 22: by J. (last edited Jan 10, 2020 07:58PM) (new) - added it

Sontez wrote: "Based off the words I heard from the audio I can see that this is a top notch place that Jasmine is not use to. It my head it seems like a fancy living quarters in Paris that tourist come and stay ..."
Nicely done 👍 yet this is in the wrong place. This doesn't belong on this post.
I can see how such wording can give the impression it's fancy. The place was a beauty in it's own antique way. It's a dorm that many students visit from across the world, that is in real life. I appreciate your observation. 🙌

message 23: by Tyzell (new)

Tyzell Richardson | 12 comments I can see the markets in Paris where they sell their bread and pastries as I hear her talk about Paris, I also see mimes in the background entertaining people and people taking pictures right in front of the Eiffel tower. You could picture the open environment in the art studio, beautiful canvases in the middle of the room with numerous sculptures surrounding the floor-decorating the area.

message 24: by J. (new) - added it

Tyzell wrote: "I can see the markets in Paris where they sell their bread and pastries as I hear her talk about Paris, I also see mimes in the background entertaining people and people taking pictures right in fr..."
I'm not certain of where you see the tower from this audio?

message 25: by Mckenzie (new)

Mckenzie Manigault | 11 comments The image given in my head is a beautiful sunny day in Paris on the market seeing lots of people doing all kinds of shopping running into somebody who actually takes the time out to greet me and is willing to show me around but instead I go sight seeing for myself my head being on a swivel from all the paintings and wonderful smelling food.

message 26: by Amber (new)

Amber | 16 comments The words paint a picture to me of a beautiful market place filled with many different varieties of foods. Then as the characters continue on down the pathway to an art studio area. There I am able to visualize the vibrant paintings that decorate the walls that follow up to an open ceiling concept. Lastly the you visualize the many paints that are used for the canvas, in which the yellow paint is picked for.

message 27: by Anwar (new)

Anwar Jennings | 8 comments From listening to the audio "last chance" by author Jbliss, I was instantly was taken to Parris as I saw the narrow roads and felt the tropical sun. I could imagen the crowds of people like wild ants walking in and out of the market and stopping to different vendors of their choice. My taste buds lit up as I pictured the sight of the variety of pastries that were described. I pictured the beauty captured in the form of painting with smooth and soft music from a violin.

message 28: by Shaunae (new)

Shaunae | 20 comments From the words described in the scene, I can imagine many narrow streets with swarming crowds of locals and tourists in Paris. I can see shop display windows filled with desirable pastries and foods that I can almost smell. Also maybe a few clothing stores can be found amongst the markets. I can also see many stalls filled with fresh fruit and vegetables, along with street food and the buzzing from people negotiating prices and bargains. I could imagine that it is hard to choose what to eat or what to buy because everything probably looks authentic and appealing to the eye.

In the paint shop I can imagine walls filled with beautiful canvases with various types of paintings and easels set up all around the room. The air smells like paint so I could picture paint bottles open with brushes soaking in color tainted cups of water, paint on the floor, tables, and maybe even the walls, but it still looks beautiful because it is all art.