Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen (jentrewren) | 492 comments This was my December TRIM which life got in the way of.
Wow!
Still a little stunned by this book. Hosseini once again manages to bring out almost every possible emotion in one book. It is beautiful, tragic, confronting and uplifting all at once.
The treatment of Mariam by her father to avoid judgement is abominable and the shattering of her childish hope that he will make her life better is the beginning of her becoming the woman she was. Her poor mother knowing what would happen and being unable to prevent it but still being selfish enough not to pick up the pieces. Mariam's self-reliance and inner strength make the lives of others better and many owe her thanks by the end.
Laila has a better start but war takes that from her. The development of friendship, understanding and love between her and Mariam is the key to their survival. They protect each other and provide emotional support.
The male characters range from despicable Rasheed and spineless Jalil to loyal and forgiving Tariq and Laila's liberal and encouraging father.
The book has everything; richness of the story, depth of the characters, development of the characters and their changing relationships, changes in the world around them and all the joys and pains of lives lived in a turbulent time.
Absolutely brilliant.

message 2: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5501 comments I love reading Khaled Hosseini. This is a great book.

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I love him too. My favourite is And the Mountains Echoed, but I did love this too.

message 4: by David (new)

David Putnam (davidputnam) | 279 comments Great book and an excellent review.

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen (jentrewren) | 492 comments Susie wrote: "I love him too. My favourite is And the Mountains Echoed, but I did love this too."

This is the only one of his I haven't read yet. Definitely have to add it to my massive TBR because all of his have been 4 or 5 star for me and I'm mean.
What a gift he has to get at the heart the way he does.

message 6: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8126 comments This was also 5 stars from me, years ago! My favourite by him.

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen (jentrewren) | 492 comments LibraryCin wrote: "This was also 5 stars from me, years ago! My favourite by him."

My favourite so far too. The characters made it!