GFOP Readers discussion

Girl, Woman, Other
This topic is about Girl, Woman, Other
January 2020 > Girl, Woman, Other: A Novel

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Men (last edited Jan 08, 2020 07:42AM) (new) - added it

Men Blazers (meninblazers) | 26 comments Mod
Bernardine Evaristo, the Anglo-Nigerian writer who shared this years Booker Prize, and for good reason. "Girl, Woman, Other" is a big novel that looks at identity, class, race, and sexuality, the big stuff, as experienced by a dozen of first person fictionalized accounts of women living between England, Africa, Jamaica, and briefly America. It is voiced brilliantly, revilingly in polyphonic majesty. The poetic nature of the writing is so human, so eye opening, one minute heartbreaking and the next hilarious, is what makes it such a riveting and affecting read. It is overwhelming in a magnificent way. It could possibly have been 100 pages and 2 or 3 characters shorter, but when I come to the end of the year and think about the most powerful books I have read in 2020, this will already, definitely be amongst them.
-Rog

Please share with us your thoughts!

And check out the book via our Baldmart link below:
https://tinyurl.com/yho7vqu6

Valerie | 13 comments I finished this book last weekend and loved it. I was shocked to find such a good book on such a sub-optimal book group's list. Sadly, as usual, I agree with Rog.