Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Every Heart a Doorway (Wayward Children, #1)
This topic is about Every Heart a Doorway
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Every Heart a Doorway [Jan 11, 2020]

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4606 comments Mod
Every Heart a Doorway - Seanan McGuire
Every Heart a Doorway (Wayward Children, #1) by Seanan McGuire
January 11, 2020.
Requested by Charlie.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4470 comments Chapter 1 complete (view spoiler)

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1031 comments I won't be starting until later this afternoon.

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1031 comments I'm on chapter 3. I have a lot of questions but I'm enjoying it so far.

message 5: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jan 11, 2020 06:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 15680 comments I love SG's concept of World Compass... spectrums of Nonsense, Logic, Wickedness and Virtue...

Over the course of the series, you get to experience some of these worlds... this first book is the only one that stays in the real world much... the timeline of the books are all over the place, too, since the rhythm of the series seems to be for even numbered books to be backstory prequels about residents from this first book...

Timelord Iain | 15680 comments I'm in for the re-read... I got #5, and now I want to re-read them all... #1 & #2 (Jack & Jill) are most relevant to #5, but I may as well do them all... #3 is an odd duck, with it's Nonsense World, but I really loved #4 (Lundy)...

message 7: by Sha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sha | 1522 comments I'm due for a re read starting now

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1031 comments Chapter 4

(view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4470 comments @Elizabeth I think (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4470 comments 10 chapters in (view spoiler)

@iain I love the idea of all the different worlds and their rules too. I'm glad I started with book 1. I'd heard you could read them in any order so I had considered jumping in anywhere but I think publication order is definitely the best.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4470 comments I'm finished! Loved it! I think the ending was perfect, I honestly wasn't expecting it for some reason. (view spoiler)

I'd like to continue with the series if anyone want to join me, we can just use this thread. I'll probably start book two tomorrow.

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1031 comments I'll probably finish sometime today. I'll continue the series but work tomorrow and the next day. could we maybe do 5 days per book? my shifts are 12.5 hours so I won't have a lot of time after work to read.

Timelord Iain | 15680 comments I’ll be here for a full re-read... I’d forgotten how (view spoiler) I’ll have to slow myself if you guys are doing a quick schedule... if you were doing a monthly schedule, I would have just rushed ahead and finished all 5 books in the next 48hrs...

message 14: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 4598 comments Ooo I will probably jump in for this one. =)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4470 comments @Elizabeth 5 days apart is fine by me! I'll request some threads if we're doing the others so things don't get confusing in this one.

@Iain feel free to rush ahead, no BR points for you! 😂

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1031 comments Alright, sounds good. Since we're both done ( I just finished) I'm good with putting start date for 2 tomorrow. Unless you've already done the request then whenever is fine by me!

And I agree with your last point, and yours too Iain. (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 15680 comments Charlie wrote: "@Elizabeth 5 days apart is fine by me! I'll request some threads if we're doing the others so things don't get confusing in this one.

@Iain feel free to rush ahead, no BR points for you! 😂"

Nice Try!!! I'm all about BRs and BR points... this year I'm only earning Challenge Points from the Incomplete Series challenge, so I don't earn them on standalones and re-reads... BRs, tho, are my jam, and the only reason I haven't lost 1st place yet... my points/day dipped the last few days, reading the Moontide Quartet...

You and Siobhan are tied for 2nd, with 4 BR points... meanwhile I'm at 17 points and counting, lol... without those BR points I'd be in 3rd place... Soo is 4 points behind me right now, and Julia is 3 points behind her...

message 18: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 4598 comments I will get this one in today and start #2 with ya'll too! I'm going to bank on me enjoying the novelettes. If not, you shall hear from me soon. LoL

Timelord Iain | 15680 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Alright, sounds good. Since we're both done ( I just finished) I'm good with putting start date for 2 tomorrow. Unless you've already done the request then whenever is fine by me!

And I agree with..."

Yea... Kade is in #3 & 5, I think... I've read 1-4... books 2 & 4 are about Jack/Jill & Lundy's backstories... 3 is about Sumi's daughter, and 5 is about Jack/Jill AFTER book 1...

@Charlie: if I'm who you're talking about, who said you can read the books in any order, I meant books 2-4... book 1 is important to appreciate the characters of books 2-4, but book 2-4 are pretty standalone, outside of connections to 1... book 5 needs books 1-2, I think... to appreciate Jack/Jill's world... altho book 1 gives a small dose of it...

I wonder if we'll ever see (view spoiler) (I tagged this in case anyone sees it who hasn't finished yet)

Once you guys finish this series, you should check out Middlegame... it explores similar material, but from a very different direction... I loved it... but it also hit on some other topics I love... which are probably a spoiler to even mention...

message 20: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 4598 comments I'll catch up by tonight. Bwahahahha

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1031 comments I read Middlegame as one of my first books this year. I enjoyed it!

Timelord Iain | 15680 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I read Middlegame as one of my first books this year. I enjoyed it!"

I just saw your rating/review... a sequel is definitely planned... no idea when... Seanan says it took her 10 years of writing continuously, all her other series, to get good enough to write Middlegame, and now she needs to get good enough to write the sequel... considering how Middlegame ended, you can only imagine what the sequel will look... the possibilities are nearly endless...

I read it in a New Release Buddy Read last summer...

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1031 comments She's probably one of my favorite authors. I started with October Daye when I found the first four or five on sale at the library. I think I'm on book 7 of that series.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4470 comments I'm happy to start book two tomorrow, I'll request the thread now.

Middlegame sounds great, I'll definitely add it to my list.

message 25: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 4598 comments When I get back to my laptop, I will catch up on the spoilers. =)

Almost done. Random impressions: packed phrasing, fun perspectives, cool worlds and modern social politics drawn out with a heavy club.

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1031 comments so 2 tomorrow, 3-18th, 4-23, 5-28th?

Timelord Iain | 15680 comments Soo wrote: "When I get back to my laptop, I will catch up on the spoilers. =)

Almost done. Random impressions: packed phrasing, fun perspectives, cool worlds and modern social politics drawn out with a heavy ..."

It's definitely a series overfull of ideas, any time characters from multiple worlds are present... the limitation of the novella length is not getting to explore those ideas in too much depth...

Timelord Iain | 15680 comments Elizabeth wrote: "so 2 tomorrow, 3-18th, 4-23, 5-28th?"

works for me... I like that we finish before the end of the month (Even the old schedule ended on the 31st)

message 29: by Sha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sha | 1522 comments So it turns out i was not due for a re-read. I like the concept of Wayward Children and I LOVE the classification, but the writing is a bit too lyrical to be truly to my taste. SO I will apparently happily read them, but be a little less enthusiastic about re-reading.

//sadly waves goodbye to the buddy read points and drags self to Come Tumbling Down

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4470 comments @Elizabeth yeah those timelines care good for me.

@Sha sorry to see you go!

On a side note, I think it reminded me of Dawson's creek in that you have teenagers speaking as if they're in their 40s! I enjoyed it though. And it did make sense considering all the things these kids had seen and done.

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1031 comments I'm on app so can't see, but Charlie did you request the rest of them? I'll probably start book 2 on my breaks today. I work 12PM-12:30am

Timelord Iain | 15680 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I'm on app so can't see, but Charlie did you request the rest of them? I'll probably start book 2 on my breaks today. I work 12PM-12:30am"

She just resurrected the threads from the archive... book 2's thread should be in your notifications, now...

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4470 comments Yeah I requested them :)

message 34: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4606 comments Mod
Moved to McGuire folder.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4470 comments Thanks Jenna!

Virginie | 5795 comments Jumping on this BR as an opportunity to re-read Every Heart a Doorway and try the sequels. Gave up on the series after this book the first time, but I'm enjoying it a lot more this time around. Probably wasn't in the right mood for this kind of lyrical writing back then.

The world classification/compass thingy is fascinating! I'm somewhat of an organization-freak, a High-Nonsense world would drive me crazy (and then, maybe I'd fit in lol).

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1031 comments Lol. yeah High Nonsense would drive me crazy too.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4470 comments Virginie wrote: "Jumping on this BR as an opportunity to re-read Every Heart a Doorway and try the sequels. Gave up on the series after this book the first time, but I'm enjoying it a lot more this time around. Pro..."

I loved the compass thing, I wonder if you can buy one? Because I want it.

Timelord Iain | 15680 comments Charlie wrote: "Virginie wrote: "Jumping on this BR as an opportunity to re-read Every Heart a Doorway and try the sequels. Gave up on the series after this book the first time, but I'm enjoying it a lot more this..."

There are some images on the wiki, that place all the in-world worlds on a compass image, as well as popular worlds like Narnia & Oz...

message 40: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 4598 comments I think this book makes more of an impact after Down Among the Sticks and Bones. That one has a more straight forward, lyrical narrative & easier to fall into the characters. While this one had a whole slew of people to get close to and only getting a glimpse for most.

message 41: by Virginie (last edited Jan 16, 2020 08:55AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Virginie | 5795 comments Finished it yesterday! Liked it more than the first time, but it's still a 3 stars (this time a solid 3 rather than a 2.5-begrudgingly-rounded-up).

I agree with Soo here, this book feels... scattered? Like the author tried to cram too many ideas/plotpoints/characters in too short a book. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the novella format, I actually LOVE short fiction but it's tricky to do right.

Seanan did a wonderful job of introducing the cast and their core 'characteristics' but most of them didn't get development; Jack is the only one that didn't feel flat IMO. I understand the need to set-up characters that will get development in the sequels (in the form of backstories, probably) but that means that the first book is a bit weak.

In the same way, the commentary on 'social issues' (lack of understanding/alienation of people with gender identities, sexual orientation or even way of thinking different from the 'norm' & expectations of them) felt really... hamfisted, for lack of a better term. Because each character had their own way of not fitting in (that led them to discover their door in the first place), there's an incredible diversity in the cast, but that also means that there's not enough pages to explore each subtly, so it gets really 'in-your-face' from time to time.
An example of this would be (view spoiler)

I'm nitpicking a bit here, but I really think the book could have benefited from a tighter focus, both on character development and message.

That said, Seanan's writing is very good, and I'm expecting the next novellas to be better just because the premise & the characters have already been introduced.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4470 comments @Soo I agree with that. I think if this were longer we could have got to know the characters a little better.

@Virginie regarding the scene with Angela and Kade, since this was a YA story, I expected some heavy handed morality lessons so I'm okay with it, though I agree the scene was a bit out of place and only served to show Angela as a biggoted bitch.

message 43: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 4598 comments The YA angle doesn't bother me as much as all of those elements felt more like a personal rampage on current social politics. Everyone has opinions and they go into the writing, but I don't want to feel like those rants are the point & not the story.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4470 comments @Soo Agreed. If the story was more about Kade than it would have been better placed. But it was about stopping a killer of lost children so it wasn't really needed.

message 45: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris  (haughtc) | 1684 comments I got an email telling me that the eBook is free today, USA