Lit 102 Spring 2020 discussion

Not By Chance
This topic is about Not By Chance
The First Kiss Drew & Jasmine

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J. (new) - added it

J. Bliss | 111 comments Mod
Based on the scene of the first kiss, what notion do you gather from Jasmine? Drew? Where are they and how do you know?
Not By Chance

message 2: by Tyson (new)

Tyson D. | 16 comments I get the feeling that Jasmine is into Drew and the feeling is mutual. Mostly because as much is stated and because they both flirt with each other in their own ways - Drew carrying her books and her giving him her number after giving him the "eyes." They both also seem to get lost in the kiss.

I know they're near the fountain on their campus because I read the book, but if I hadn't, I might have gathered somewhere on campus as Jasmine mentioned the roaming security.

message 3: by Angel (new) - added it

Angel Cabasag | 17 comments The notion that I felt from Jasmine was that she was trying to convey that she was trying to get his attention and be the strong, independent type at the same time, not sure how to convey this without being obvious. Drew seems very sure of himself in that he knows his dominating and confident nature, but happened to notice Jasmine and take interest in her. I gathered they were in a city by that she was naming streets and turns on the way to her car from a class because he is carrying her books.

message 4: by Amber (new)

Amber | 16 comments I get the notion that jasmine is interested in drew but has a sense of caution towards him. I believe that it could be her boundary as a person or playing "hard to get" in a way. They seem to be in a town setting on a street, waking to her car.

message 5: by J. (new) - added it

Great job 👍 Tyson they are attracted to each other. And the couple the location that you mentioned that the coupler on that is not accurate so perhaps go back and consider the location.
Angel you mentioned that the female is trying to be headstrong and that would be an accurate accusation. The location you mentioned is correct, as you read the story come back to tell me exactly where they are. Always pay attention to details because specific details have meanings for reasons and you want to discover what those reasons are as you read.
Amber she does have a cautionary aspect about him and it's both reasons as you mentioned. As you read more, keep that in mind and ponder why does she have those parameters. The location is somewhat of what you mentioned but next time look up the name of the streets to try to get a clear understanding write it down because specific names to streets in places in a story always have a meaning and the author is typically, trying to get you to connect to a meanting for some type of reason.

message 6: by Jamila (new)

Jamila | 16 comments I get the notion they are outside based on the admiration of the sunset. Maybe city area from the location of Jasmine’s car.

They both caught each other’s attention, from Jasmine noticing his masculinity to Drew making the first move. I feel they are equally interested in one another. Jasmine made it easy for Drew to approach her, allowing Drew to show multiple gestures. He carried her books, and walked Jasmine to her car. Jasmine continuously admired Drew’s attributes all while enjoying the game of “Cat and Mouse.”

message 7: by J. (new) - added it

Jamila that is true they're being coy. The location you suggest makes sense. 😊 Keep that in mind as you read. When you read more of the book I'm interested in seeing what you think of the location. Great job 👍

message 8: by Amber (new)

Amber | 16 comments Jamila, I agree with your response. They both had attention grabbing qualities. The thrill of a cat and mouse game seems so be coming into play.

message 9: by Tyson (new)

Tyson D. | 16 comments To Angel, I absolutely agree that she was trying to convey an idea of independence. She's a woman that doesn't NEED Drew, but is entranced by him and doesn't want to give it all away too easy and it's great characterization.

And to correct my previous assessment, The Lake.

message 10: by Angel (new) - added it

Angel Cabasag | 17 comments To J. Bliss,
I Found out that Tyson did give me the answer but I had not paid attention to that. They are at a lake on campus at Spelman College.

To Jamila, I'm glad you posted the "cat and mouse" aspect because until you said the phrase I hadn't thought of it.

message 11: by Mckenzie (new)

Mckenzie Manigault | 11 comments The notation I get from jasmine and drew are that they like each other but they don’t know if they want to like each other simply because she knows him but not that well but the kiss he gave her throw her off guard . They both are outside by her car

Shaunae | 20 comments The notion I gathered from Jasmine is that she felt an undeniable, intense attraction to Drew the moment she laid eyes on him. As soon as she noticed him she tried to get his attention, as seen in the book when it states, "As Drew was walking towards Jasmine, she stood up, dramatically dusting sand off her thighs." As much as Jasmine wanted to appear headstrong and seem as though she wasn't being put under Drew's "spell", she could not resist and for just a moment she let her guard down when Drew kissed her. Every moment leading up to their kiss was sexually electrifying for Jasmine and she gave him her number.

The notion I got from Drew was that he was aware of his charms and he knew that they would eventually work on Jasmine. From the simple gestures of helping her gather her books, to following her to her car, then kissing her. It is clear that he is confident and determined to get what he wants, which is Jasmine.

Jasmine and Drew seem to be in a park near the city or an active campus. The context clues show this when the book indicates that Drew was flexing his muscles (probably jogging) and that Jasmine studied there. The kiss happened closer to the city/active campus, because there were apartment units, traffic, and road crossings indicated in the scene as Jasmine went to her car.

message 13: by J. (new) - added it

Mckenzie wrote: "The notation I get from jasmine and drew are that they like each other but they don’t know if they want to like each other simply because she knows him but not that well but the kiss he gave her th..."
Nice observation.
Be certain to capitalize names. This is graded. I like that you pointed out that she doesn't know him well. His presence is not strange to her but she doesn't know him well. Nicely done.

message 14: by J. (new) - added it

Shaunae wrote: "The notion I gathered from Jasmine is that she felt an undeniable, intense attraction to Drew the moment she laid eyes on him. As soon as she noticed him she tried to get his attention, as seen in ..."
Well, the added insight from the text with the quote is a nice touch. Because I am aware you have already progressed from this book I expect your response to be deeper and you did a tasteful job representing an avid reader. Great details on their attraction. I appreciate the point you said about the location. It has been ongoing about the location within the post. You certainly have been detailed showcasing what recalls their location. Well done, well done.

message 15: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Grant | 11 comments The notation I gathered based on the scene of their first kiss is that as the reader we know how conceited Drew is which makes it interesting to see how well he treats Jasmine such as holding her books for her,coming across as a gentleman. Also, although Jasmine is immediately attracted to Drew she's able to keep her composure and come off as independent. The two are on the Spelman campus on the lake

message 16: by Mckenzie (new)

Mckenzie Manigault | 11 comments Amber , I agree with your response simply because there is a connection between Jasmine and Drew but she has her guard up being more aware of men that are trying to talk to her because of her previous relationship.