Lit 102 Spring 2020 discussion

Last Chance (Book #3)
This topic is about Last Chance
Connecting your mind to Literature

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J. (new) - added it

J. Bliss | 111 comments Mod
Based on the audio read from Last Chance, describe in detail where the characters are within the scene?
Last Chance

message 2: by Tyson (new)

Tyson D. | 16 comments Jasmine, Britton and Dr. Young are in some sort of French dormitory that has Asian influence in its design. there are few similarities to American Dorms, but Jasmine admires the designs still. The scene seems to want the reader to get acclimated to the new setting and emphasize its foreign-ness.

message 3: by Angel (new)

Angel Cabasag | 17 comments Jasmine is out of place and out of sorts when she arrives to Paris, maybe a bit more frustrated at Drew than she would have been if she werent so tired, and you can feel the excitement of her being there when she takes in her surroundings at the new dorm, describing everything in detail.

message 4: by Dillan (new)

Dillan | 17 comments Within the scene from Last Chance, the characters, Jasmine, Dr. Young, and Britton are in a dormitory facility located in Paris that is decorated with nice Chinese symbolic figures. During Jasmine’s appearance of entering the building she immediately is fascinated with how the place is structured and how it resembles traditional University dorms in America.

message 5: by Jaliyah (new)

Jaliyah Webster | 17 comments The characters Jasmine Britton, and Dr.Young are at some fancy dormitory in Paris. Jasmine seemed very interested when arriving and walking around inside, but also confused when Britton recognized her. Jasmine never seen anything like this place before. When she saw Dr.Young she got more excited. The dormitory maybe old by the way she described the small elevator.

message 6: by J. (new) - added it

Great job class you all are doing good so far 🙌
Tyson I appreciate the remark about getting the reader acclimated to a new setting. Next time Express what made you get to that point, be detailed telling me the elements that captured your attention.
Angel great point you say she was frustrated and aggravated and you give me details of a variety of emotions she's feeling. Can you imagine why she has so many emotions at once?🤔
what I'd like you to do in the future is, pinpoint what the author says that lets you know the character is excited is upset etc ?
Dillan good points is well I like your response be detailed about, how you came about the Chinese symbols something made you think such way. As you write further, make sure you show me as if proving this is why you thought about it such way.
very good points Jaliyah, the confusion you point out about Britton, very good point that you were able to see that. I like that you pointed out that there was a small elevator, which let you know about the actual foreign space they are in. Very good 👍

message 7: by Jamila (new)

Jamila | 16 comments Jasmine and Brittan arrived at Paris dorm. You could tell it was unfamiliar scenery upon their arrival. Yet, Brittan seemed more relaxed than Jasmine. She was very skeptical about her photo the receptionist mentioned before hearing Dr. Young’s name. Dr. Young is a major influence in Jasmine’s life, giving her comfort to admire her surroundings which were contrary to what she’s custom to.

message 8: by Jendayi (new) - added it

Jendayi Perez (jendayiperez) | 6 comments The characters are on a school trip in a city in Paris. This was due to the French speaking and Jasmine mentioning about her abroad travels. Jasmine seems excited for has stressed the upscale beauty of the dorm alongside its Asian decorations and designs and she has also never seen a place like that before. The building must be a bit old due to the less modern technologies of the front door (not an automatic door), the stone design outside the building, also the small elevator (considering the luggage could not fit along with her) and the grand staircase. She compares the French dorm to the American dorm. Jasmine seems to want attention from Drew. She mentioned how she wished he would contact her possibly after telling him not to. The time is mid day considering they were to have a late lunch at 3 pm.

message 9: by J. (new) - added it

Jamila your points are well. I like that you mentioned how relaxed Britton is compared to Jasmine. Nice observation. Also the notion of her being skeptical. 👍 In the future focus on conveying a direct example from the authors words that solidify your observation.
Jendayi 🙌 I appreciate how you jump in being detailed about what you precieve about the scene. It is nice to point out that she was yearning for the attention of the call. I also like the idea of of you picking up she'd not been there. In the future pin point what words are used to indicate what you see as you read. Good job you two. 🙌

message 10: by J. (new) - added it

Dillan wrote: "Within the scene from Last Chance, the characters, Jasmine, Dr. Young, and Britton are in a dormitory facility located in Paris that is decorated with nice Chinese symbolic figures. During Jasmine’..."
Dillan good points is well I like your response be detailed about, how you came about the Chinese symbols something made you think such way. As you write further, make sure you show me as if proving this is why you thought about it such way.
very good points Jaliyah, the confusion you point out about Britton, very good point that you were able to see that. I like that you pointed out that there was a small elevator, which let you know about the actual foreign space they are in. Very good 👍

message 11: by J. (new) - added it

Angel wrote: "Jasmine is out of place and out of sorts when she arrives to Paris, maybe a bit more frustrated at Drew than she would have been if she werent so tired, and you can feel the excitement of her being..."

Angel great point you say she was frustrated and aggravated and you give me details of a variety of emotions she's feeling. Can you imagine why she has so many emotions at once?🤔
what I'd like you to do in the future is, pinpoint what the author says that lets you know the character is excited is upset etc ?

message 12: by J. (new) - added it

Tyson wrote: "Jasmine, Britton and Dr. Young are in some sort of French dormitory that has Asian influence in its design. there are few similarities to American Dorms, but Jasmine admires the designs still. The ..."

Great job class you all are doing good so far 🙌
Tyson I appreciate the remark about getting the reader acclimated to a new setting. Next time Express what made you get to that point, be detailed telling me the elements that captured your attention.

message 13: by Jamila (new)

Jamila | 16 comments Replying to Jaliyah:

I agree to it being a fancy dormitory from the comments made about the building upon entrance from Jasmine and Britton. Also making it evident that the scenery was unfamiliar. I could notice the comfort ability Dr. Young offered to Jasmine from the guards she let down during her presence, or from simply hearing her name. With Jasmine having her luggage sent down separately than her, I agree that the elevator is definitely compact.

message 14: by Shaunae (new)

Shaunae | 20 comments Within this scene of Last Chance, the characters Britton and Jasmine arrive at an outmoded and traditional dormitory in Paris. Not to be mistaken for a dull or boorish appearance, due to the fact that it had intrinsic detail, such as wooden decorative glass doors, stone dragons "guarding" its entrance, and handcrafted wooden rails that lead up to a nice staircase as described in the book.

The dormitory had a few outdated features, such as an intercom that buzzed, resulting in the receptionist having to get up and open the door with a key, rather than an automatic or revolving door. The elevator was tiny and seemingly could only carry two people at a time, seeing that Jasmine and Britton's luggage has to be brought up separately. Another indication is when Dr. Young's voice echoes in the lobby. This suggests that the structure of the building could have had a high hollow ceiling that diverts from the structure of a modern ceiling.

message 15: by J. (new) - added it

Jamila wrote: "Replying to Jaliyah:

I agree to it being a fancy dormitory from the comments made about the building upon entrance from Jasmine and Britton. Also making it evident that the scenery was unfamili..."

That was a great observation, Jasmine having comfort when Dr. Young came. Very good to take in you seeing that in your mind. Good observation.

message 16: by J. (new) - added it

Shaunae wrote: "Within this scene of Last Chance, the characters Britton and Jasmine arrive at an outmoded and traditional dormitory in Paris. Not to be mistaken for a dull or boorish appearance, due to the fact t..."
The interesting thing I take from your observation is, the guarding. Several of the other students have mentioned it but I can't help but wonder why a person did not expand more about the reason behind the author pointing out such detail of guarding. This is an interesting detail to be noticed, while I appreciate the insight, I ponder if anyone wonders why the author used such detail. I am appreciative of you noticing the receptionist had to get up. In Paris, many buildings have antique delights added, it's their way of being respectful of those before them, the ways, the people, the culture before the present by celebrating and keeping the things of the past ( what we might call ancient) celebrated and living in the now. Very well written observation.

message 17: by Sontez (new)

Sontez Williams | 16 comments After listening to the audio of Last, Chance to me it sounds like Britton is at some really nice upscale building in Paris along with Jasmine and Dr.Young. From the word choice in the audio it could be an hotel, or some type of living quarters Dr.Young have. It looks like a doorm at a college, but it’s not. . Jasmine love the scene because it reminds her of doorms at Spelman college the college that she attended. You can tell that Jasmine is excited to be where she is because the descriptive words she use such as the hand craft wood rails leading up the grand stair case. Jasmine describe the scene in detail because it bring back memories from college.

message 18: by Tyzell (new)

Tyzell Richardson | 12 comments This dormitory in Paris was entered by Jasmine and Brittan. You might tell that it was odd when they arrived. Yet Brittan seemed more confident than Jasmine. The receptionist said she was extremely suspicious of her picture, before hearing the name of Dr. Young. Dr. Young plays an important role in Jasmine's life, giving her comfort in admiring her contrary environment to her work.

message 19: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Ferguson | 13 comments In this piece from “Last Chance (pg.349)” Jasmine and her friends are together in Paris viewing the beauty of the city. They seem to be tourists but have a specific destination to reach. When they reach the mysterious place it seems like they’re in a museum or a facility with many great works. Wherever the individuals may be the scenery is definitely breathtaking as well as jaw dropping!

message 20: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Grant | 11 comments In the scene Last Chance, Jasmine, Dr. Young and Britton appear to be in in a elegant dormitory facility in Paris, France. Jasmine seemed mesmerized with her surroundings such as the antique designs located throughout the building. She was able to pay attention to unique details such as the wood rails which is more ancient then modern. The author provided lots of imagery to show how each details was symbolic in a way and had a reasoning for being there for the reader to pay attention to.

message 21: by Mckenzie (new)

Mckenzie Manigault | 11 comments In the last scene Jasmine and her friends (Jean & Krisha) are in Paris on the market where they are being exposed to all types of unique paintings and Italian food . They run into this women who introduces her self to them and is willing to show them around instead they go sight seeing for there self Jasmine and her friends walking to the back of the store where they discover all types of paintings

message 22: by Amber (new)

Amber | 16 comments The scene is set in Paris, Jasmine and her friends enter into a multi-level apartment/dorm environment that includes a lobby with a receptionist and long hall ways. The interior is full of beautiful handcrafted wooden rails that lead up a grand staircase. The characters seem highly impressed by their new surroundings.

message 23: by Anwar (new)

Anwar Jennings | 8 comments Jasmine and Brittan arrived in Paris as freshmen. This was a new chapter in both of their life. Whiles listening, it was obvious that Jasmine was I bit afraid of the new start. On the other hand, Brittan seemed more laid back than Jasmine. She was amazed by the details of the dorm as well as the staircase. Dr. Young, (who is known to Jasmine) helped her to feel a bit more relaxed and gave her a small experience of Paris.

message 24: by Carson (new)

Carson Simpson | 11 comments The characters within the scene seem to be in Paris, France in a Dormitory that seems to be filled with character and a sense of grandeur as it’s stated that their is details all over the building. Also it’s complimented by hand crafted wood rails leading up to a grand staircase. Also a wooden decorative glass door is flanked by an ornate stone dragon. Another detail is the small elevator