Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Dragon Keeper (Rain Wild Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about The Dragon Keeper
Hobb - Various > The Dragon Keeper [Mar 15, 2020]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 107 (107 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - added it

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
The Dragon Keeper - Robin Hobb
The Dragon Keeper (Rain Wild Chronicles, #1) by Robin Hobb
March 15, 2020.
Requested by Kathrine.

message 2: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Maybe in. This has been sitting on my shelf for over a year...

message 3: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - added it

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
Maybe....if I can somehow manage to read the whole Tawny Man trilogy before March 15th.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Jenna wrote: "Maybe....if I can somehow manage to read the whole Tawny Man trilogy before March 15th."

Do ittt! :D

Thanks for making all these threads Jenna ❤️

message 5: by Choko (new) - added it

Choko (chokog) | 6772 comments I am in!

message 6: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 16610 comments Jenna wrote: "Maybe....if I can somehow manage to read the whole Tawny Man trilogy before March 15th."

Me too, if I can read Liveship Traders AND Tawny Man

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Jenna wrote: "Maybe....if I can somehow manage to read the whole Tawny Man trilogy before March 15th."

Me too, if I can read Liveship Traders AND Tawny Man"

You know you can! XD

Bill | 2150 comments I'm in and actually caught up.

message 9: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 16610 comments Siobhan wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "Jenna wrote: "Maybe....if I can somehow manage to read the whole Tawny Man trilogy before March 15th."

Me too, if I can read Liveship Traders AND Tawny Man"

You know you can..."

I've been setting myself up for another Fantasy-heavy year, similar to 2018... but I still want to mix a bunch of other stuff in...

Right now I'm doing the Moontide Quartet, and this is 6 Hobb tomes to read in about 8 weeks... I also want to give Malazan another go, and need to reboot Riftwar after missing December (Pallavi and Choko missed, too)... and I've been eying The Reality Dysfunction, which I abandoned last January during the BR... so many tomes...

message 10: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill | 2150 comments Hobb tends to be pretty heavy so I've found it hard to read them in a quick timeframe.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Yeah they are heavy tomes. I enjoyed reading one a month last year with a month break between trilogies.

Kathrine | 1246 comments AHH can't wait to continue Realm of the Elderlings! I'm cheering on y'all to catch up but also totally understand if it's too much – as you said, Siobhan, these are heavy tomes; both due to page count but also the emotional impact. I don't think I've ever cried so much to a series as I did this hahaha – especially Tawny Man... but please don't let that scare those of you who haven't read it yet – it's an amazing reading experience. As a wise man named Ron Weasley once said: "You're gonna suffer.... but you're gonna be happy about it." xD

Kathrine | 1246 comments And thank you Jenna for setting up all the threads and also sorry for the confusion with multiple requests 😅

message 14: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments It's been two years since I read Tawny man, so I probably forgot everything :p
But I know you guys will help me :)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1338 comments Yay!! Thank you Siobhan for linking me. 😘 As you know I’m listening to this one on Audio from my library instead of my physical book, but I’m going to follow along. Well, actually I have it for 20 days so I will hold out for a bit 😊

message 16: by Meera (new) - added it

Meera | 30 comments I’m not caught up at all on this series but I’m going to still join in. I read the Assassin books and the first Tawny man so there’s no way I can catch up so I might as well start somewhere :-) I bought most of the books on the Chronicles years ago so I really should.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Would love to have you join, Meera. And it's entirely up to you, but I really recommend reading this whole series in order to get the most out of it. :) I especially think you need to read the Liveship Traders trilogy before this as that's where we're introduced to the Rain Wilds.

What did you think of Farseer and Tawny Man? :) I really loved both trilogies. Hobb is a genius to me haha! :)

message 18: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5020 comments I have to agree with Siobhan (she's in general very wise and agreeable 😂), I don't think it's a good idea to read the Rainwild books without reading Liveship Traders first...

On the one hand you won't have a lot of background for the books and on the other hand you'll spoil a lot of great plot points reading the books out of order.
At first starting a new series within the Realms of the Elderlings they don't seem that connected, but while continuing you see all those small details and connections and I think that's one of the reasons why Hobb's books are so amazing.

You could ask in the BR invite thread, mayve you can find someone to BR the earlier books with you :)

message 19: by Meera (new) - added it

Meera | 30 comments You both make good points. I was getting psyched to read books I already own but I also don't want spoilers for the books I haven't read. I'm a fast reader but there's no way I can read 5 books before March 15 though! I'll just join in when I'm caught up.

message 20: by Meera (new) - added it

Meera | 30 comments Siobhan wrote: "What did you think of Farseer and Tawny Man? :) I really loved both trilogies. Hobb is a genius to me haha! :)
"

I loved the Farseer trilogy and I liked the Tawny man but for whatever reason I didn't continue. Robin Hobb is a time commitment and that's might have been why. And I own the Tawny man books too. I'm getting through Anthony Ryan's dragon trilogy right now so I'll have to see if I'm up for such a major Hobb commitment after that.

message 21: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Sorry guys, I wont be joining this BR. but, i shall return for the last trilogy. See you then.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Meera wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "What did you think of Farseer and Tawny Man? :) I really loved both trilogies. Hobb is a genius to me haha! :)
"

I loved the Farseer trilogy and I liked the Tawny man but for what..."

Definitely a time commitment! I read one a month with a month break between series all last year and this is where I'm up to. Spacing it out like that has worked best for me.

Ooh I loved Anthony Ryan's dragon trilogy, hope you're enjoying them. :)

Frank | 695 comments I've read both the Farseer Trilogy and Liveship Traders trilogy, so moving right along I plan on reading these.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments So excited to start! :)

message 25: by Anni (last edited Mar 14, 2020 12:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Frank wrote: "I've read both the Farseer Trilogy and Liveship Traders trilogy, so moving right along I plan on reading these."

I'm afraid you're missing the Tawny man trilogy... That one happens before the events of the Rain Wild books

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Frank wrote: "I've read both the Farseer Trilogy and Liveship Traders trilogy, so moving right along I plan on reading these."

I'm afraid you're missing the Tawny man trilogie... That one happens ..."

That's true! And Tawny Man trilogy was fantastic, Frank.

Frank | 695 comments Thanks all.
Yes, I read the The Tawny Man trilogy as well.
Sometimes too many series in my head, LOL.
I have not read the Fitz and the Fool trilogy which was Hobb's most recent.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Frank wrote: "Thanks all.
Yes, I read the The Tawny Man trilogy as well.
Sometimes too many series in my head, LOL.
I have not read the Fitz and the Fool trilogy which was Hobb's most recent."

Then you're up to the exact same as us, yay! :)

message 29: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill | 2150 comments Started today and about halfway through. Really enjoying being back in this world and especially the Rainwild part of it. Kind of disappointed we don’t get view points of any of the Liveship characters but the new ones are growing on me.

message 30: by Kathrine (last edited Mar 17, 2020 01:39AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kathrine | 1246 comments Started yesterday and I really like it so far! Like Bill, I love being back in the world and especially the Liveship-part of it. It's been a while since we last saw Bingtown!

Finished chapter 4 and my thoughts so far:

Alise: (view spoiler)

Hest and Sedric: (view spoiler)

Thymara: (view spoiler)

Leftrin: (view spoiler)

The dragons: (view spoiler)

Erek and Detozi: (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Bill wrote: "Started today and about halfway through. Really enjoying being back in this world and especially the Rainwild part of it. Kind of disappointed we don’t get view points of any of the Liveship charac..."

Wow! Is it a quick read? I'm starting now but I'm on holiday this week so won't get as much time to read as normal I don't think. That's a bit of a shame, would be nice to see familiar characters POV.

Katie K | 2152 comments I'm planning on starting this one today~
Can't wait to get back into this familiar world <3 We'll see if I like the Rainwilds series for than the Liveship series ^^;

message 33: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Siobhan wrote: "Bill wrote: "Started today and about halfway through. Really enjoying being back in this world and especially the Rainwild part of it. Kind of disappointed we don’t get view points of any of the Li..."

If I remember correctly it indeed is, parts of it felt a bit like a YA Novel 😅
We will at least see a few known characters :)

I'll start tonight, I'm so excited to read it again with the group!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Bill wrote: "Started today and about halfway through. Really enjoying being back in this world and especially the Rainwild part of it. Kind of disappointed we don’t get view points ..."

Ooh that's interesting for Hobb! Thanks Anni.

I've only read the prologue so far, but I liked reading the serpents journey.

message 35: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Not sure if I'm in the mood for this right now but I really wanted to do this BR because they are usually motivating. Maybe I'll start in a few days and just see how I like the first few chapters :)

Katie K | 2152 comments Oh my gosh, I'm really liking this one so far you guys ^~^ I'm only 50 pages in but we got to see the (view spoiler)

The new characters are also pretty great so far, though I only know of a few. I like the girl climbing the tree so far XD She seems a very curious sort.

Frank | 695 comments Roughly a third of the way thru, and enjoying as others are, the return to this world.
Just now getting a mention of old characters from Live Ship books.
Looking forward to meeting them face to face.

message 38: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5020 comments I only finished chapter 3 so far... I guess I spend way to long debating which narrator I prefer, as there're two available 😅

Katie K | 2152 comments Me too Anni, me too. Can I just say I really like the little previews to the chapter with the bird keepers :D

message 40: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Katie wrote: "Me too Anni, me too. Can I just say I really like the little previews to the chapter with the bird keepers :D"

Yeees! I love their conversations!

I choose Saskia Butler and you? :)

Katie K | 2152 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Katie wrote: "Me too Anni, me too. Can I just say I really like the little previews to the chapter with the bird keepers :D"

Yeees! I love their conversations!

I choose Saskia Butler and you? :)"

Oh you know what? I thought you meant which character perspective ^^; haha.

I wonder which narrator I have for my audiobook...I've been reading the physical book so far XD

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Chapter 3 - (view spoiler)

Katie K | 2152 comments Siobhan wrote: "Chapter 3 - Wow what a present from Hest, I think he's a keeper! That arrangement actually sounds perfect for Alise, I'm glad he didn't pretend to be madly in love etc etc.
... Shame though that wh..."

Ohhhhh Siobhan. I'm keeping my mouth shut on Hest for now ^^;

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Haha Katie I don't think you'll have to for long!

Chapter 4 (view spoiler)

message 45: by Anni (last edited Mar 20, 2020 11:36AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Katie wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Chapter 3 - Wow what a present from Hest, I think he's a keeper! That arrangement actually sounds perfect for Alise, I'm glad he didn't pretend to be madly in love etc etc.
... Sham..."

Haha, I thought the same! (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Katie wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Chapter 3 - Wow what a present from Hest, I think he's a keeper! That arrangement actually sounds perfect for Alise, I'm glad he didn't pretend to be madly in love etc..."

Same!! He's made me very angry!

Katie K | 2152 comments Siobhan wrote: "Sir Anni wrote: "Katie wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Chapter 3 - Wow what a present from Hest, I think he's a keeper! That arrangement actually sounds perfect for Alise, I'm glad he didn't pretend to be ..."

omg, right you guys?! So frustrating >_< I think you're right Siobhan in that (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Katie wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Sir Anni wrote: "Katie wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Chapter 3 - Wow what a present from Hest, I think he's a keeper! That arrangement actually sounds perfect for Alise, I'm glad he didn'..."

Yep, that made my skin crawl. 😬

message 49: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Chapter 5 (view spoiler)

message 50: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill | 2150 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Chapter 5 [spoilers removed]"

Chapter 5 (view spoiler)

« previous 1 3