Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle, #1)
This topic is about A Wizard of Earthsea
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Le Guin - A Wizard of Earthsea [Jan 13, 2020]

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4433 comments Mod
A Wizard of Earthsea - Ursula K. Le Guin
A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin
January 13, 2020.
Requested by Bea.

message 2: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Thank you! :)

message 3: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4433 comments Mod
Bea wrote: "Thank you! :)"

You're welcome :)

message 4: by Diana Stormblessed (last edited Jan 10, 2020 11:56AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Ohhh... I've been wanting to read this one. I'll try to join.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1055 comments I've had this on my shelf for so long. I shall join!

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 996 comments Good luck guys, this one wasn't for me.

Katie Koloske | 1862 comments Can't wait to start this one ^^ I was surprised how short it was upon picking it up from the library :D

message 8: by Katie (last edited Jan 13, 2020 02:25PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Katie Koloske | 1862 comments Just finished Chapter 2~
It seems kind of a rushed story telling pace thus far. Maybe it's just because they are dropping in a bunch of background in the beginning...we shall see.

(view spoiler)

message 9: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jan 13, 2020 03:26PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Timelord Iain | 14923 comments Katie wrote: "Just finished Chapter 2~
It seems kind of a rushed story telling pace thus far. Maybe it's just because they are dropping in a bunch of background in the beginning...we shall see.

Lots of foresha..."

No... that basically sums up my experience with Earthsea... I've read the first 4 books over the past couple months... I'd say (view spoiler)

Katie Koloske | 1862 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "No... that basically sums up my experience with Earthsea... I've read the first 4 books over the past couple months... I'd say (view spoiler)"

Oof. Really? hmmmm. That's interesting to hear. Can't wait 'till they start (view spoiler)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Finally starting this one today. Hope to be able to comment by tomorrow.

Timelord Iain | 14923 comments Katie wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "No... that basically sums up my experience with Earthsea... I've read the first 4 books over the past couple months... I'd say (view spoiler)"

Oof. Really? hmmmm. That's inte..."

Mostly meant details given... these are all barely past novella length, and (view spoiler)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1055 comments I just read the first chapter and quite like the writing style. I’m not super familiar with Le Guin

message 14: by Katie (last edited Jan 14, 2020 02:33PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Katie Koloske | 1862 comments @ Timelord ~ Ohhhh I see your meaning now. lol. XD

@ Olivia ~ I'm glad you're liking the writing style. ^~^

I have a feeling this is going to be a tough one for me. lol. I don't want to say their writing style is dry...but it has this certain flow to it...I dunno...lots of high fantasy novels have it...and I'm not too fond of them ^^; But I'm still excited to see where the story goes

Timelord Iain | 14923 comments I've mostly been working through this series to say I've read Le Guin... only 2 books left, and I'll probably move back to other authors, never to return...

Katie Koloske | 1862 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "I've mostly been working through this series to say I've read Le Guin... only 2 books left, and I'll probably move back to other authors, never to return..."

Better off to read things you enjoy, right? ^~^

Timelord Iain | 14923 comments Katie wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "I've mostly been working through this series to say I've read Le Guin... only 2 books left, and I'll probably move back to other authors, never to return..."

Better off to re..."

I probably wouldn't be sticking it out, if they weren't so short... they've all been 2-3hrs on audio, so far...

I listened to Tehanu at work last week, and my favorite thing was the afterword by the author, where she talked about the reasons for waiting 20 years to write another book in the Earthsea universe... which is kinda sad...

Olivia (vinjii) | 1055 comments @Katie : don’t get me wrong. It’s hard to read.

I feel like most classic / 60’s - 80’s fantasy and SFF in general have a certain style

I find it very pleasing and nice to read but it’s nothing like modern genre lit and forces me to slow right down and my low attention span self keeps reading paragraphs without reading them.

But if I can slow down and savour it, I find it super pleasing and beautifully written

If any of that pre-coffee rambling made sense

Katie Koloske | 1862 comments @Olivia

No worries at all, I completely understood your pre-coffee explanation ^~^

And you're very right in that. Those books were just written a tad differently in their time. And once one slows down to take in the writing style it evolves nicely. It certainly helps that this is a little novel too :D

message 20: by Katie (last edited Jan 15, 2020 11:27AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Katie Koloske | 1862 comments Chapter 4 ~ The Loosing of the Shadow
{scribbles and thoughts}

The concept of naming in this world is such a wonderful thing. For much like in other tales, we know names hold great power. So only those close to you may know your true name….speaking of true names. I totally missed where the main character was named Ged ^^; I kept calling him Sparrowhawk or Duny in my head.

Naming though. To hold that power, to have control over the person even. Dangerous in magics for sure. I wonder why people had naming ceremonies so late? Like they are not named when they are a baby, but later on. Did they fear their children would die at a young age? There’s gotta be something to that….

-----
Anyways. I really enjoyed the daring of this chapter. (view spoiler)

I just wanna hear more about this (view spoiler)

Speaking of lessons and discipline…(view spoiler)

-----
Notes to Self~
Nine Masters of Roke: Windy, hand, Herbal, Chanter, Changer, Summoner, Namer, Patterner, ???
pg 72

Also loved this quote about naming~

(view spoiler)

message 21: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Just started this today. I'll be back once I'v read a bit :)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Please don't stone me. I'm at chapter 4 I think and I'm not in love. I don't know if it's the narrator but I keep zoning out. Someone above used the word "dry" in regards to the writing style and that's so on point. I'm just not getting into it. I hope it picks up.

message 23: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments So I read the first three chapters now.
What's a little weird is that it's written in a way that makes me feel like nothing happens but on the other hand we are moving forward really fast and not lingering in one place for very long. Makes it all feel a little...bland maybe? Hopefully it'll pick up.
I think the writing is beautiful but I also have to focus hard to not zone out.

(view spoiler)

message 24: by Sha (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sha | 1522 comments I read this once but forgot everything and I think I'll maybe try reading it again with a bit more focus...

Katie Koloske | 1862 comments @Diana: We won't stone you XP A lot of people here are having mixed feels about the writing. As Bea says, it's one of those novels you just need to slow down and focus on. XD

@Bea: I completely agree. To me it seems like so much is happening too fast and because of that we don't get to see that growth in relationships. It's like the author is speeding up the plot to get to the part he wants to write the most ^^; I mean he did slow down (view spoiler)

@Sha: You're welcome to join :D

message 26: by Katie (last edited Jan 16, 2020 11:07AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Katie Koloske | 1862 comments I had to look up what an Otak was because I felt I skimmed past it. Oh my gosh. They're so cute! I want one <3

Otak drawing

FanArt

message 27: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Katie wrote: "I had to look up what an Otak was because I felt I skimmed past it. Oh my gosh. They're so cute! I want one <3

"

Aw, that's cute! Looks a bit like an otter with pointy ears!

message 28: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments I've already said so but I feel like Christopher Paolini took quite a bit of inspiration for his magic system with (view spoiler)
It became even more obvious in chapter 4.

message 29: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments I read upt to chapter 7 now and forgot to comment yesterday that (view spoiler)

Katie Koloske | 1862 comments @Bea I know, right? Why is that always the case? I was so sad when the lil (view spoiler)

So I finally finished this one. I'm giving it an average rating in the end because although the writing was a bit dry I was captivated by certain moments in the series. But I still didn't have that personal connection to the characters like in other grand fantasy epics.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1055 comments Bea wrote: "I've already said so but I feel like Christopher Paolini took quite a bit of inspiration for his magic system with [spoilers removed]
It became even more obvious in chapter 4."

I was thinking of Rothfuss as well with The Name of the Wind.

Overall, I didn't enjoy this one after a promising start, the dryness kept me from feeling engaged and I ended up skimming.

message 32: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments I finished it yesterday, too.
I'm feeling quite indifferent about it to be honest. Mostly because I really couldn't connect to Ged at all.
It's one of those books that kind of drift past you while reading without leaving any kind of impact. Not bad or anything, just nothing special either.

I did like the atmosphere, though, escpecially in the second half.
For example (view spoiler)

I'm not sure if I want to read the next book. I have this bindup Earthsea The First Four Books (Earthsea Cycle, #1-4) by Ursula K. Le Guin , so maybe I'll give book 2 a try. It's even shorter than book 1 anyway.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1055 comments Bea wrote: "I finished it yesterday, too.
I'm feeling quite indifferent about it to be honest. Mostly because I really couldn't connect to Ged at all.
It's one of those books that kind of drift past you while..."

Indifferent is the correct word!

Timelord Iain | 14923 comments Book 2 is barely about Ged, at all... book 3 is about Ged again, and the girl from book 2... book 4 (view spoiler)

Book 5 is an anthology, then book 6 is about the character from book 4, again, and that's the end...

Katie Koloske | 1862 comments @ Olivia and Bea ~ I agree with you guys totally. With the pacing as it was and the lack of connections as they were the book kinda left us feeling meh. Book 2 is even shorter? O.o

The connections with the couple was nice Bea. I'm still all about that wizard Ogion too :D

After reading a bit about when this book was published I saw on the wiki that it was initially introduced as a book for children. O.o That kind of threw me. But it would explain the shortness and pacing, right? Still...I find it hard to see a kid in today's day and age tearing through this book. lol.

Katie Koloske | 1862 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Book 2 is barely about Ged, at all... book 3 is about Ged again, and the girl from book 2... book 4 [spoilers removed]

Book 5 is an anthology, then book 6 is about the character from book 4, again..."

Oh wow! So it switches around a lot then Timelord? Interesting...

And you said you felt kinda meh about the rest of the series, yeah?

I might pass on the next one as well with all of the other books in my tbr list ^^;

message 37: by Anni (new) - added it

Anni | 5020 comments I'm really late (uhm... again 🙈) but I had this on my TBR for ages and I considered joining since this thread was created but was far to busy with other Buddy Reads. But I've got a lot of reading done on Friday and Saturday and started the audiobook of this one yesterday.
I saw that you all weren't exactly amazed by the book, but I'm still looking forward to open all your comments :)

Katie Koloske | 1862 comments Sir Anni wrote: "I'm really late (uhm... again 🙈) but I had this on my TBR for ages and I considered joining since this thread was created but was far to busy with other Buddy Reads. But I've got a lot of reading d..."

Being late is alright Anni! I hope you enjoy the book :D Let us know what you think ~