Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > [Poll Ballot] The Oregon Trail - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by forsanolim (new)

forsanolim | 424 comments The Oregon Trail: A New American Journey

Rinker Buck and his brother, Nick, set out on a journey to traverse the Oregon Trail the "old way": in a covered wagon drawn by a team of (big-personality) mules. Starting in Missouri, they travel through Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, and Idaho before finally arriving at their destination in Oregon. Along the way, the author very liberally sprinkles in information on the history of the trail and the pioneers who traveled on it.

I definitely learned a lot about the trail through this book, and I appreciated the descriptions of the landscapes and mule team and various obstacles that the two had to overcome. I will say, though, that I was a little underwhelmed by the comparisons to Bill Bryson's works. To be totally honest, the book wasn't nearly as funny as I was expecting based on that, and the history sections sometimes dragged a bit. I also wasn't extremely excited by the sometimes extremely frank ways in which the author shared his opinions on topics like religion and politics--totally independent of whatever my own thoughts on these topics might be, I felt that sometimes his demeanor was a bit off-putting. Overall, though, it was a quite interesting look at the Oregon Trail period in American history as well as a tale of the brothers' own trip along the trail.

message 2: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3775 comments This has been on my TBR since when it came out. The concept always sounds so intriguing- trying to recreate the OR trail experience- but I can't help thing some of in writing would get dull..