Chick Lit discussion

Jane Green

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane | 20 comments I just finished Straight Talking. Has anyone else read it?

message 2: by Keris (new)

Keris (kerisstainton) Years ago. I didn't like it. In fact, it put me off Jane Green's books for years, but I liked her latest, Second Chance.

What did you think?

message 3: by Marielle (new)

Marielle | 2 comments I have not yet read Straight Talking but I loved some of the other books by Jane Green, like "The Other Woman", "Mr. Maybe" and "To have and to hold". Have "Second Chance" on my TBR list.

message 4: by Adena (new)

Adena | 4 comments Funny. I read Second Chance and wasn't nuts about it so it put me off her books. Then someone in this group recommended Jemima J and I liked the idea so I read it and absolutely loved it. I’m going to read The Other Woman after the book I’m reading now.

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily (teaandscribbles) | 8 comments I have read a few of her books. Don't remember Straight talking so it didn't make much of an impression. I have read bookends, and really enjoyed that. I hope you enjoy it too.

message 6: by Keris (new)

Keris (kerisstainton) That doesn't surprise me, Adena, because I think she's totally changed the tone of her books. I think if you like the early ones, you probably won't like the more recent ones and vice versa.

Tracy, Bookends is the only other one I've liked. :)

message 7: by Adena (new)

Adena | 4 comments I started reading The Other Woman and I like what I'm reading so far. Maybe it was just Second Chance. I'll pick up Bookends and let you know. I'm assuming that would be considered an earlier Jane Green so I'll compare.

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 7 comments I really think her books are hit or miss, although I do prefer the earlier ones. I thought Second Chance was ok. I didn't really like Swapping Lives. Some of her earlier books I could relate to more.

message 9: by Jann (new)

Jann | 17 comments I agree with this. It may be age related because I am older and the more recent ones are a little less laugh out loud funny and a little more serious. I started with Babyville which I loved. When I went back to read jemima J, it was cute but I couldn't finish it--maybe jealous of the weight loss. I like the most recent ones.

message 10: by Brooke (new)

Brooke Babyville and Bookends were my favorites...
I haven't read Jemima J or Second Chance.

message 11: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Life Swap was the first one I read of hers and I really enjoyed it, it was just what I was looking to read at the time. I read Mr Maybe and it was okay but nothing too exciting. I have heard great things about Bookends and Jemima J and will have to add them to my shopping list.

message 12: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessmorgan03) | 15 comments The only Jane Green book I have read is Second Chance and I loved it. I tried to read Jemima J a few years ago but couldn't get into it...could have just been bad timing though.

Charlene McConnell | 7 comments Jane Green is one of those "automatic buy" authors of mine. I love her books!

Charlene

message 14: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) Me too, Charlene. I've had her newest book, The Beach House, on my to-be-purchased shelf for months. Can't wait for June!!

Her last two books (Swapping Lives and Second Chance) were probably my least favorite of her books, but I consider them both to be good reads. I always devour her books in one or two sittings...the are just too good, I have to gobble them right up. :-)

Jemima J and Mr. Maybe will probably remain my top 2 by Green.

message 15: by Charity (last edited Mar 29, 2008 11:08AM) (new)

Charity (charityross) Oh! I wanted to add that if anyone hasn't read This Christmas by Jane Green, Jennifer Coburn, and Liz Ireland, it is a great holiday read...featuring one short holiday story by each writer. I highly recommend!

Disclaimer: The short story by Jennifer Coburn is The Second Wife of Reilly and is a follow-up to her book The Wife of Reilly, so you may want to read that first.

message 16: by Liz (new)

Liz | 13 comments I think her books can tend to be hit or miss sometimes too but she is a part of my "automatically buy" mode whenever she comes out with a new book :)

message 17: by Kami (new)

Kami see, i just finished jemima j- and i was torn. i loved it, wish it could happen in real life, then started to realize what a bad message it sends to people. i mean, i would probably read it again because it's exciting, and you feel very happy for jemima in the end(finally), but i think it would put alot of people off.

message 18: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) I had a different take on Jemima J. I thought it actually sent a fairly good and accurate message to people. Too often in life people are like Jemima, losing weight for the wrong reasons...thinking it will solve all of their problems. When they lose the weight and are still unhappy, they wonder why. Jemima thought the weight loss would be a panacea (cure-all) for her problems and instead, it created new problems for her.

I especially liked the part when Jemima gets all preachy to the girl in the gym about how 'she was once like her' and 'she understands', etc. and the girl tells Jemima, 'you don't know what you're talking about.' And the girl was right...as Jemima later learns.

message 19: by Kami (new)

Kami the thing i didnt like about it was that numerous times throughout the book ben said he did not like jemima like that, and he wasnt attracted to her- then when he saw her skinny, he fell in love.

message 20: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) Yeah, I guess that's true.

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mcd724) | 3 comments She is an automatic buy for me too although I can't remember the last time I really enjoyed her writing. I think she won me over early on as she was one of the first chick-lit authors I read and really enjoyed as there seemed to be more to her work than just falling in love.

message 22: by Christy (new)

Christy (bluecaffeine) | 5 comments I loved her early books, like Bookends, but haven't been as crazy about the newer ones.

message 23: by Synova (new)

Synova | 5 comments I feel exactly the same way about Jane Green! I loved Jemima J, Mr. Right and Bookends, but by the time I got to To Have and To Hold, I hated it! I had to force myself to finish it. I haven't read any of hers sense... I keep meaning to give another one a try...

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I’ve enjoyed her book so for, but I have not gotten to any of the most recent ones. I have Swapping Lives at home, so I’m anxious to see how her writing styles changes. I really loved Jemima J because at the time I read it I was it the same place in my life that Jemima was. The same thing with Babyville; I was reading that while I was trying to get pregnant, so I really related to the character who was trying to get pregnant.

Ashley (bookworm84) (bookworm84) I like Jane Green. She's a recent discovery for me. I have read "Swapping Lives", "Babyville" and "Bookends" and I can't wait to read her newest.

I will have to check out "Second Chance" and "Jemima J"!