Accio Book Club ✨ discussion

The Starless Sea
This topic is about The Starless Sea
January Book: The Starless Sea

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Alright. I'm officially starting this book in the next few days, so I thought I'd set up our discussion section for this book. I'm so excited to jump into this book, I've heard amazing things about it, and I personally haven't read The Night Circus, so I'm really excited! Have you already started? Let's start discussing this book. We will also be announcing our liveshow details soon for this book.
Please be kind to one another in these discussions. We all have our own opinions. Please warn if you are going to be mentioning spoilers.

Sasha  (thewildsasha) Well I've started the book! I'm like 15% in (reading the ebook) and OMG I'm really loving it! I don't have much to say about it especially because I don't know if you can say more here because of spoilers so xD

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Spoilers are fine, just make sure you warn if you are going to include spoilers! ☺️
Once I’ve started on Sunday I’ll be coming to you for your thoughts!!

message 4: by Sophiesticated ✨, Booktuber (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sophiesticated ✨ (sophiesticatedbooks) | 6 comments Mod
Hello everyone! I've just started Starless Sea myself and am around 30 pages in. So far I'm LOVING the writing and have wanted to annotate a lot. I've heard that the more you go into it, though, the more confusing it gets, which worries me.

So far, it's impossible not to appreciate how well crafted every single sentence is. Erin Morgenstern has a way of using the perfect words for everything, and I love that.

Also, I wanted to share Yasmin's reading vlog of the first 300 pages of Starless Sea! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hkyu...

message 5: by Sophiesticated ✨, Booktuber (new) - rated it 5 stars

Favorite Quotes up to page 30:

“A boy at the beginning of a story has no way of knowing that the story has begun.”

“A reading major, that's what he wants. No response papers, no exams, no analysis, just the reading.”

“The pirate is a metaphor but also still a person.”

message 6: by Hadewych (new)

Hadewych (thereaderinpink) | 1 comments I’m currently in a reading slump and I am not able to pick The Starless Sea up. It’s just really big for me atm and I’m scared that I’m not going to like it if I force myself to read it.
Let’s hope that I’m out of my slump soon, so that I can join the liveshow!

message 7: by Sophiesticated ✨, Booktuber (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hadewych wrote: "I’m currently in a reading slump and I am not able to pick The Starless Sea up. It’s just really big for me atm and I’m scared that I’m not going to like it if I force myself to read it.
Let’s hope..."

Ohh, I'm so sorry to hear that! Yeah, The Starless Sea is not a light read, but it's making me feel so immersed and relaxed. I hope you can get out of your slump soon!

Gracie (greyreadsbooks) | 7 comments Does anyone know if the audiobook is good? I dont think I'll be able to buy the physical copy

Gracie (greyreadsbooks) | 7 comments nevermind amazon had it for like half the price

message 10: by Esra (new)

Esra Kara | 1 comments I'm listening to audiobook, and it's not bad for now. I'm also having reading slump and hoping to get used to it. I like this book, but I'm afraid that this book is going so slow and boring. I also read this author's another book and I didn't liked it, because it was also boring and slow. Author's writing style is really good, but there's something missing for me. I'm hoping that we all like it and enjoy it. Happy reading x

message 11: by Sophiesticated ✨, Booktuber (new) - rated it 5 stars

I feel like this is such an intricate book, written so ornately, that reading it via audiobook is not the same experience as reading it physically.

Here's a link to the audiobook excerpt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3sQ6...

I personally don't think it's the best way to read this book. The narrator is taking away some of the magic that I get when I read it myself. It's making it monotonous and sluggish.

Sasha  (thewildsasha) I've finished that book last week and well I'm happy I didn't listen to it because I would have probably dnfed it or ended up being completely lost haha Not all books are meant to be audiobooks...

Gracie (greyreadsbooks) | 7 comments Yeah I ended up listening to an excerpt and I was lowkey appalled at how boring the narrator sounded. And for the print book, I understand it's a hardcover and everything, but does it need to be $30?? Lol but I found it on amazon for like 18 and one day shipping so maybe I'll be able to start today!

Gracie (greyreadsbooks) | 7 comments Omg guys it came signed!

Sasha  (thewildsasha) Gracie (MARVELousBooks) wrote: "Omg guys it came signed!"

hahaha lucky you!!!

message 16: by Sophiesticated ✨, Booktuber (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gracie (MARVELousBooks) wrote: "Omg guys it came signed!"

OH MY GOSH, MINE TOO!!! Yasmin sent it to me for my birthday from Book Depository and it was also signed!

It's surprising because the website didn't say anything about it when it could've been such a big selling point.

Gracie (greyreadsbooks) | 7 comments exactly!!

Gracie (greyreadsbooks) | 7 comments how's everyone's reading going?

message 19: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam Jo (t9s6sam) | 1 comments I finished today!! 5 stars, I’m in love

Astrid Lore (metanoia_pages) I’m just about to reach half way. I had a little break and read another book but now I’m back into it. I’m really liking the story and setting so far.

Gracie (greyreadsbooks) | 7 comments awesome! I'm around 90 pages in and I really like it. Hopefully I can finish in time for the live show!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

We have announced our liveshow for the book on our twitter but I shall post the times here as well. It will be held on Sophie’s channel and we are so excited to have you join us!
Liveshow times:
Monday 27th @ 8am Australian.
Sunday 26th @ 6pm Argentina.
Sunday 26th @ 9pm Uk.
Sunday 26th @ 1pm Pacific standard.
Sunday 26th @ 3pm Central standard.
Sunday 26th @ 4pm Eastern standard.
Can’t wait to see you all there!✨

message 23: by Night Owl (new) - added it

Night Owl Reader (allnightreading) | 3 comments I bit the bullet, and used one of my free credits from audible to get the audiobook for this. I hate reading ebooks, I don't have a kindle, so it's annoying to read on a cellphone or laptop...anyways...it is not too awful if I speed up the audiobook to 1.75 speed.

message 24: by Sophiesticated ✨, Booktuber (new) - rated it 5 stars

WE LOVED DISCUSSING THIS BOOK WITH YOU! The Liveshow yesterday was so much fun, thank you to everyone who came <3

In case you didn't make it to the live show, here's the link!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo2Yu...

RATINGS:
Yasmin: 4 stars
Sophie: 5 stars (& new all-time fave)
According to the chat, there were some DNFs, one 2-star rating, several 4 stars, and a handful of 5 stars as well!

-Conspiracy Theories were also discussed. The book is filled with possibilities! Many agreed that a reread is needed asap 😂