AMERICAN HISTORICAL NOVELS discussion

THE FIRST LADY AND THE REBEL > A surprise and a giveaway!

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) | 17 comments When researching my novel, I didn't find much I hadn't known already about Mary Lincoln, as she has been the subject of a number of biographies, but with Emily, I had to do a bit more digging. One thing that surprised me was to learn that although most of Emily's public appearances in her later life related to the Civil War (she was active in the Daughters of the Confederacy and appeared at reunions of her husband's brigade), in 1911, she welcomed the National American Woman Suffrage Association's convention to Louisville. Since Emily lived to age 93, dying in 1930, she had several opportunities to vote before her death.

And now it's giveaway time! Please comment here to win a paperback copy of my novel (unless you prefer a Kindle edition). I will randomly choose a winner on Saturday at noon.

message 2: by Kelley (new)

Kelley Blair | 16 comments I enjoy historical fiction tysm.

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (drpowell) | 376 comments So thankful for the women who fought for the vote. Good tidbit!

message 4: by Shawna (new)

Shawna (ssherrell) | 38 comments I love hearing stories about those who helped in the fight for women’s suffrage and actually got to vote when it passed! Since it was a multigenerational fight that wasn’t always the case. Thanks for sharing about Mary and her sister Emily (who I had never heard about until your week of hosting).

message 5: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (grannylovestoread) | 132 comments Awesome! Thanks. Can't wait to read it!

message 6: by Tracey (new)

Tracey Evans | 90 comments This sounds like a wonderful book. Thank you for the chance to win a copy.

message 7: by Dyana (new)

Dyana | 189 comments Love when women stand up for their rights.

message 8: by Ilene (new)

Ilene Harris (gahish) | 18 comments I like reading historical fiction, it sounds good.

message 9: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Johnson | 14 comments Should be an interesting book covering such a long lived life!

message 10: by Jane (new)

Jane Miller | 13 comments What is the name of this book?

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (drpowell) | 376 comments Jane wrote: "What is the name of this book?"
The First Lady and the Rebel

message 12: by Jane (new)

Jane Miller | 13 comments thank you

message 13: by Jane (new)

Jane Miller | 13 comments that sounds very interesting

message 14: by April (new)

April (aprilpohren) | 1 comments Very intriguing!!

message 15: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nancyadair) | 6 comments I have been reading about the First Ladies, including Mary, for decades. This aspect of her life and family would be so interesting to know more about, especially knowing how it was used against her during the war.

message 16: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 7 comments Sounds like a great read!! I love historical novels.

message 17: by Joe (new)

Joe Krakovsky | 12 comments I would like to read and review this book.

message 18: by Linda (new)

Linda Ulleseit (lindaulleseit) | 50 comments I have an ancestor who was a suffragette in California. I love stories about these women!

message 19: by Andra (new)

Andra | 2 comments I really enjoy historical fiction. I’ve read mostly WWI and WWII with a bit about American history. Thank you for the chance.

message 20: by Geneva (new)

Geneva Robertson | 3 comments I enjoy historical fiction. I have read a few books about Mary Lincoln, but not about Emily. How exciting. I have seen this book and it is on my to read list. Thanks for the opportunity.

message 21: by Gail (new)

Gail Barasch | 7 comments I enjoy learning about history through historical fiction. I would find Emily to be an interesting influence and she certainly lived a long life. Now I want to know more about her! Thank you for the chance!

message 22: by Susan (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) | 17 comments Rhonda is our winner! I have sent her a message.

message 23: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (grannylovestoread) | 132 comments So awesome! Thanks! Can't wait to read it! Message sent.

message 24: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Bell (elizabethbellauthor) | 15 comments Oh wow, that's amazing about how long Emily lived and that she got to vote!

message 25: by Chelsie (new)

Chelsie (chelzlou) | 83 comments Interesting! I’ve read a few books about Mary, and Lincoln had his hands full with her. However I’ve not really read much on anyone else within the Lincoln’s. The Roosevelt’s are also very intriguing to read about.