Play Book Tag discussion

Station Eleven
This topic is about Station Eleven
January 2020: Thriller > (Poll Ballot) Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Booknblues (last edited Jan 07, 2020 03:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Booknblues | 6183 comments It is hard to know just where to start in a description of Station Eleven or why I liked it so much for that matter. I love reading apocalyptic novels with people wandering and trying to survive with bad guys lurking in the shadows, scavenging lawlessly and Station Eleven has its share of them.

I love the connections and connectedness of Station Eleven. So much seems to happen by chance but so much is tied together like a spider's web.

I love that there is a wandering symphony and Shakespeare theater. There is such longing for civilization when it dissipates, and by year 20 there are those who never knew it. Maybe it is how some parts of the world feel about peace, they are well beyond year 20.

This is one that has hung on the back burner of my TBR forever and I am glad I was finally compelled to read it.

message 2: by David (new) - added it

David Putnam (davidputnam) | 279 comments Great review.

KateNZ | 2502 comments Such a good book - really glad you liked it too

message 4: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments I have owned this book forever. I really should read it.

Booknblues | 6183 comments Sara wrote: "I have owned this book forever. I really should read it."

I'm sure you would like it.

Theresa | 7400 comments I loved this book - so well written! And for the record, I do not care for dystopian or apocalyptic fiction. At all.

In fact, another Emily St. John Mandel is my Trim read this month - Last Night in Montreal. Have not started it yet.

Susie | 4488 comments I really enjoyed this one too. It is up there with one of the best post-apocalyptic novels I’ve read. I’m really looking forward to her new release.

Nikki | 661 comments I've just finished this (but not yet reviewed it) and I absolutely loved it too!

Booknblues | 6183 comments Theresa wrote: "I loved this book - so well written! And for the record, I do not care for dystopian or apocalyptic fiction. At all.

In fact, another Emily St. John Mandel is my Trim read this month - [book:Last..."

I will be interested to hear about her other books.

Booknblues | 6183 comments Susie wrote: "I really enjoyed this one too. It is up there with one of the best post-apocalyptic novels I’ve read. I’m really looking forward to her new release."

I loved this because it really touched on the peoples grief of not only losing those they loved but losing civilization.

message 11: by NancyJ (last edited Jan 08, 2020 12:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5567 comments I really enjoyed it too. I liked how she weaved in connections between all the characters. It left me wanting more. I'll definitely want to read her next book.

message 12: by Meli (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meli (melihooker) | 3391 comments Loved this and a 5 star from me too!

message 13: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7860 comments Post-apocalyptic novels are not my thing, but the raves this one is getting around here has me thinking I might just pick this one up. Perhaps we will get a tag this year that I can slot it on at.

Teodora Paslaru | 149 comments Although I can't deny this book is wonderfully written, I haven't enjoyed it as much as other did. Something seemed to be missing from it, I don't know what. Or something was missing from me that I couldn't fully enjoy it.

Anita Pomerantz | 6543 comments I liked this one a lot, and am looking forward to her new release!

LibraryCin | 8617 comments I liked it, rated it "good", 3.5 stars. It does seem to hold appeal for our literary fictionistas.

message 17: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7860 comments Anita wrote: "I liked this one a lot, and am looking forward to her new release!"

Well Anita, that surprises me-and it encourages me to add to my Tower!

Nikki | 661 comments Just coming back to say that your comment "Maybe it is how some parts of the world feel about peace" has really stuck with me - thank you for making that devastating but important point.

Booknblues | 6183 comments Nikki wrote: "Just coming back to say that your comment "Maybe it is how some parts of the world feel about peace" has really stuck with me - thank you for making that devastating but important point."

Thanks, Nikki. I think about Afghanistan and Iraq, but I also realize The US has been at war since 9/11, while it is not on our soil, for teenagers now they have only known their country at war. So with the book being set partially in year 20 since the Georgia Flu that wiped out civilization and the young people having no idea about what it was like, I began to think about peace and not knowing what it was like.