Adventure in writing discussion

Chatttttttttting

Comments Showing 1-50 of 106 (106 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Place to chat with others; pointless or important;]

message 2: by Madeline (last edited Jan 07, 2020 03:58PM) (new)

Madeline  (theorganizedscatterbrain) Hey there!! Would you mind if I invited some of my friends to this group?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Of course not!!

message 4: by Penny, co-moderator;) (new)

Penny | 44 comments Mod
AHHHHH

message 5: by Penny, co-moderator;) (new)

Penny | 44 comments Mod
YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW EXCITED I WAS READING THE DESCRIPTION FOR THIS!!! NO JOKE, ABOUT 85% OF WHAT I WRITE IS MY LIFE IN STORY FORM😆 I'M SO EXCITED AHAH AHHHH

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha that makes me excited too Penny! Thank you so much for joining!

And welcome, SHINE!!!!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok, so feel free to vote on the polls I just posted! It'll help me get to know your writing style better!

message 8: by Faith (new)

Faith (victorianprincess) | 33 comments Hello, dear Shayna! Thank you so much for inviting me. I love you, my little sister!!❤❤❤

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi big sis! Your welcome Faith!

message 10: by Laura-Lee (new)

Laura-Lee Rahn (lauraleewashere) | 31 comments Here's my first true life story.

I was surfing around the internet trying to get some business done and feeling out of touch and a bit old and forlorn. Realizing that as I get older, I get slower and there is always someone demanding something of me that is more than likely too much for me to handle.

But I've learned that taking a moment to count the blessings God has given to me, especially when He didn't have to and to consider that I am not the only one with problems, always puts me in a better frame of mind.

As the business part of my day was ending, I decided to come to Goodreads to check out the groups I belong to and see what everyone is up to. I love to read stories from other people and I've been fortunate to have found a handful of groups made up mostly of young people with oodles of talent. And they all love the Lord and are taking their faith seriously but still willing to find joy and happiness in whatever they do.

Then lo and behold, next to my Group menu I saw the word "invitation" written in an orangey-red color. Yes. I had been invited to a new group. I had been remembered. I had been valued enough that people wanted me around. And it doesn't matter how young or old you are, everyone needs to feel they belong. To feel they matter.

So I rushed over and joined the group right away, because it's not just any old group. It's special because it consists of people who want to know about your life. They welcome you and they want to honor God by developing their talents because they realize their abilities were given by God for His glory, their enjoyment and to make others happy.

And this story I know will end happily ever after because the members of this group will now think of others they know who would feel great to be welcomed here and will rush to invite them.

The End (but not really)
By Laura-Lee Rahn

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

That's great Laura-Lee! Very good life story. I VERY much enjoyed reading it!!! Would you mind copying and pasting it to a discussion I just created called "LIFE STORIES"?? It would be great to start a collection there!

HEHE

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello everyone! FYI, I just posted the first competition if you want to do it!!!! I look forward to reading your story!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for joining!

message 15: by Penny, co-moderator;) (new)

Penny | 44 comments Mod
YAYY HI WELCOME EVERYONE!!

(Also, woah Shayna are you and Faith sisters? That is so cool! I didn't know that!)

Laura-Lee, reading your comments here on Goodreads, regardless of what group it's in, always makes me admire the thought and feeling you put into it. Everything you write, be it something heartfelt or a funny joke, comes from inside and I love that about you! This group will be so much better with you in it, as it will be better with each individual member in here! Even though I'm probably much younger than you with much less life experience, I have felt the feeling of being forgotten or little or unimportant countless, countless times. And every single time, The Lord never fails to remind me of something more important than anything else: HE has remembered me. He is by my side always, and loves me in a way no one on earth can. He sent His only son out of love for His people! And not only this, which is sufficient in and of itself, but He has given me a new family when I accepted Him as my Lord: the church of Christ! We are all connected by a bond, and that bond is Christ. No matter where you are in the world, how old you are, who you are, we have Jesus Christ in common and that is an unbreakable bond! This paragraph has gotten to be MUCH longer than I intended, but I just wanted to say this Laura-Lee: remember that you are never alone with Jesus Christ by your side, and through Christ, you have a family, and because of that and because of what He has done for us, you always have someone here on earth to care for you💜

message 16: by Laura-Lee (new)

Laura-Lee Rahn (lauraleewashere) | 31 comments Penny wrote: "YAYY HI WELCOME EVERYONE!!

(Also, woah Shayna are you and Faith sisters? That is so cool! I didn't know that!)

Laura-Lee, reading your comments here on Goodreads, regardless of what group it's ..."

I have just one intelligent though perhaps antiquated reply to your comments, Pen. YOU ROCK! ✊😎

message 17: by Laura-Lee (new)

Laura-Lee Rahn (lauraleewashere) | 31 comments Shayna-Friendly-Amen-Hehe wrote: "That's great Laura-Lee! Very good life story. I VERY much enjoyed reading it!!! Would you mind copying and pasting it to a discussion I just created called "LIFE STORIES"?? It would be great to sta..."

Your wish is my command, Boss. Consider it done. LL

message 18: by Laura-Lee (new)

Laura-Lee Rahn (lauraleewashere) | 31 comments One more comment before I shut off. I've mentioned my age several times because there's no denying it. I never lie about my age. In a way it's like having battle scars that you earned. But hopefully my wrinkles are more from laughing than frowning.

But amongst Churches there is always the desire to keep people together according to their ages. Youth group, college and careers, Seniors, etc. And that's a good thing too. We need to meet and fellowship with people who are experiencing a lot of the same things we are. Then we understand, relate and can support each other. But I have been in Churches where I've been told I had to leave a certain Sunday School class or Bible Study.

"You're only 48. You can't be in with Seniors!"

"¹You can't be in with the Married couples because you're single."
"But you don't have a singles group for people over 30, so where do I go?"

"You can't take a turn working in the nursery because you're not a mother."

"You have to stop being in the choir because it's only for those 21 and under and you turned 22 several months ago."
"But I've been in this choir with my friends for 3 years and the only other choir is the Seniors. Can I go in there?"
"No. You're much to young for that!"

To me, this is wrong. It wasn't always this drastic. And there's something about watching the world change and unfortunately get mostly worse that makes you want to fight to make it better.
Many times Jesus has put me in with groups that others wouldn't have approved of and I would have been much too shy to join. Guiding teen groups, dealing with the extreme elderly and all their many problems and deaths, newly marrieds and so on. I kept stumbling into theses groups almost against my own will.
But God saw that time and time again I was being denied my chance to use my talents and desires inside the church because I didn't fit into the right category.
Now again, I've stumbled into Lyrical not realizing it was young people. I was just reading things I liked.
There are lots of older people on Goodreads and I belong to some of those too. But I have seen enough to know God has His hand on all of you and has brought you together here for a purpose. Hone and improve your talents, encourage and work to understand each other, cling to Jesus and His Word and then spread His light and love WHEREVER He puts you and in whatever He calls you to do.
My high school teacher wrote it this way in my graduating yearbook: "Bloom wherever you are planted, Laura-Lee"
In April (2019) I came close to dying and I mysteriously became totally paralyzed. I survived but was told I would never walk or even move my fingers again. But here I am. In my home, typing with the fingers that weren't supposed to move and very much alive. And here with you.
Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do something when God has put a dream inside of you and sent you out on a mission. This is your journey and your life. And take some time to enjoy it.

It's very late. Time for my beddy-bye.
Pleasant dreams of love, joy and wonderment.

See you soon. Love Laura-Lee

message 19: by Madeline (new)

Madeline  (theorganizedscatterbrain) Wow! All of this is INCREDIBLE work and y'all should be very proud. I'm so glad to be in this fantastic group!

message 20: by Penny, co-moderator;) (new)

Penny | 44 comments Mod
That is so encouraging Laura-Lee....thank you for sharing that!! It's amazing how God can use our darkest times to allow His power to shine the brightest!! And I agree with Vivien 100%, I am SO GLAD to be in this group!!!

message 21: by Lana (new)

Lana (ohmylily) !! This group is gonna be greattttt ^-^ I also like the Life Stories thread, because sometimes I have random stories I just want to tell for some reason :'D

message 22: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 08, 2020 04:01PM) (new)

I love your second life story, Laura Lee!!!!! ;] You are a very inspiring person and your stories deeply touch me and put a smile on my face ;]

Hi Lana! I love the haircut you are getting, my friend has it and it is super cute!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, and Penny, me and Faith aren't actually sisters. Just Goodreads sisters. Haha it gets really confusing who is actually related ;] XD

message 24: by Penny, co-moderator;) (new)

Penny | 44 comments Mod
Ohhh okay Shayna, I was very surprised for a second there!😂 That makes more sense ahaha;)

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Hehe

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Penny, just to clarify, your wonderful life story is for the competition, right? Or is it just to share? Thank you!!!XD

message 27: by Penny, co-moderator;) (new)

Penny | 44 comments Mod
YES, that story will be for the competition:) I was actually just considering doing a different one since it was so long......what do you think?? Should I use a different one for the competition and then just put the one I already posted in the Life Stories section??

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Penny wrote: "YES, that story will be for the competition:) I was actually just considering doing a different one since it was so long......what do you think?? Should I use a different one for the competition an..."

It's purely up to you. Whatever choice you make though, I think the story is wonderful regardless and that you are a very talented writer!

message 29: by Faith (new)

Faith (victorianprincess) | 33 comments @Penny
haha! I didn't make that clear. Shayna and I "adopted" each other as sisters. ;)
But Cherie and I are real sisters!

message 30: by Faith (new)

Faith (victorianprincess) | 33 comments @Shayna
It IS hard to figure out who's related!
But as long as we're Christians, we're all siblings in Christ!!

message 31: by Faith (new)

Faith (victorianprincess) | 33 comments @Laura-Lee thank you for sharing those things. That was very encouraging to me. I as well have gone through those kinds of things in churches, and it is not Christ-like how people handle things that way. So what if you're a bit too old or too young! All Christians are accepted by Jesus no matter their age, and we should welcome everyone who loves Jesus. I am so glad you are in this group, Laura, thank you for adding your insightful wisdom. We need older and wiser hearts in this group.☺️❤

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Faith wrote: "@Laura-Lee thank you for sharing those things. That was very encouraging to me. I as well have gone through those kinds of things in churches, and it is not Christ-like how people handle things tha..."

I agree!!!

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Faith wrote: "@Shayna
It IS hard to figure out who's related!
But as long as we're Christians, we're all siblings in Christ!!"

As Shine said, Amen!!!

message 35: by Faith (new)

Faith (victorianprincess) | 33 comments Welcome, King Daylan!

message 36: by Faith (new)

Faith (victorianprincess) | 33 comments can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

message 37: by Grace (new)

Grace (gracemariee) SHINE wrote: "So my teen camp story isn’t just an ordinary teen camp. It was Teen Bible Camp I went to. First time in 2013 and the second time in 2014. I’ve learned some things there and one of them I recall is ..."

I'm so glad you learned those valuable lessons there, Shine! <3

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Grey!!!

And, Shine, I just wanted to say that I think you're a great writer. You're amazing;]

message 39: by Grace (new)

Grace (gracemariee) Shayna-Friendly-Amen-Hehe wrote: "Hey Grey!!!

And, Shine, I just wanted to say that I think you're a great writer. You're amazing;]"

Hey! And thanks for inviting me to this group :))

message 40: by Laura-Lee (new)

Laura-Lee Rahn (lauraleewashere) | 31 comments I thought this first Writing Competition would be a breeze because there are so few limitations but I'm having a hard time even picking an event.
Plus, I've been reading the other entries and I think I'm rather boring comparatively.
But don't give up on me. I'm still thinking about it and I'll see if I can cook something up. I don't need to win anything but I LOVE to participate. Even if I go mental each time a poll comes up and I have to make a decision.
(sigh)

LL

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Laura-Lee wrote: "I thought this first Writing Competition would be a breeze because there are so few limitations but I'm having a hard time even picking an event.
Plus, I've been reading the other entries and I thi..."

Hello Laura! I hope I didn't make the competition too hard.....

First things first, You are NOT boring! You are amazing and have very inspiring experiences to tell. It's all in good fun! You're absolutely right, participating is what's important!

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

We will not give up on you;]

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

I try not to put too many limitations;] I can't wait to read your entry!

message 44: by Penny, co-moderator;) (new)

Penny | 44 comments Mod
Hi Shine!! I am....very busy ahaha😅 High school is getting kind of crazy and I'm horrible at time management so I suffer trying to get homework and Goodreads stuff and side projects all done😂 But really, other than that, I'm doing really well! I got to see and talk to some friends I haven't seen in a bit today, so that was really nice:)

message 45: by Laura-Lee (new)

Laura-Lee Rahn (lauraleewashere) | 31 comments I'm so happy that we just finished our FIRST writing contest. A little fun, some hard work and a lot of interesting.
Thanks for letting me be part of it. I just voted. Now we have to wait for our winner.
And a big THANK YOU to our moderator/leader for her wonderful dedication to this group and us.
Love LL

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Laura-Lee wrote: "I'm so happy that we just finished our FIRST writing contest. A little fun, some hard work and a lot of interesting.
Thanks for letting me be part of it. I just voted. Now we have to wait for our ..."

I'm glad you enjoyed it;] I'm so excited to announce the winner once everyone has voted!!! [9 people have voted so far]
To be honest, I was so nervous to start my own group because I thought I would be horrible at it. But it's a lot more fun than I thought, so I try<33

message 47: by Penny, co-moderator;) (new)

Penny | 44 comments Mod
AHHH I haven't been active on Goodreads for like a week.....didn't even notice that the first competition closed!! Finally got to read through all the new entries; they were SO GOOD! I loved reading through all of them! Any of you would definitely deserve to win! Ahhh now the difficult part.....voting for only ONE!

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Penny wrote: "AHHH I haven't been active on Goodreads for like a week.....didn't even notice that the first competition closed!! Finally got to read through all the new entries; they were SO GOOD! I loved readin..."

I know right? ITS. SO. HARD!!!!! I literally had to ask my dad to help me decide.....
"I narrowed it down to 8 of the life stories," I told him. Haha but there are ONLY 8 stories so....hehe.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

I am currently writing a life story so I can't wait to post it here!

message 50: by Penny, co-moderator;) (new)

Penny | 44 comments Mod
Shayna-Friendly-Amen wrote: "I am currently writing a life story so I can't wait to post it here!"

Oooh, can't wait to see it! XD

« previous 1 3