Space Opera Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book and Author of the Month > February 2020 THEMED Nominations: Weird Biology

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Teresa Carrigan | 2341 comments Mod
This thread is for nominations for THEMED category for February 2020.

THEMED books need to be currently in print on at least one platform, and fit the theme for the month. If there is no spaceship involved, then it must take place on another planet with a technological society. If it is part of a series, it needs to be suitable to being read without having read other books in the series. Frequently books in this category will be those from major publishers that are no longer in print as paperback (or haven't yet made it to paperback), but Kindle Exclusive books are allowed too. It is perfectly fine to nominate a book here that would qualify for one of our other categories.

CURRENT THEME: Weird Biology. Some crucial part of the plot has to involve a truly strange alien, creature, or plant. This does not include cyborgs or machine intelligences.

This thread has some suggestions:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

RULES:
* you may nominate one book on this thread.
* you may second as many nominations as you like on this thread.
* it is okay to nominate the same book on more than one nomination thread, as long as it meets the criteria
* don't nominate a book we already have on our bookshelf
* If a book you nominate or second is selected, you are expected to post at least one comment about it on the thread about the book.
* In about two weeks I will draw a book randomly, with each second being one raffle ticket for the book. That is, a book with three seconds (so four of us want it) will get three chances in the pool.

It is likely helpful if you know something about a book that has been nominated if you mention it in this thread, whether it is for or against the book.

message 2: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

I nominate Mirabile by Janet Kagan Mirabile by Janet Kagan. I reread this about once a year - one of my favorites.

message 3: by Atl (new)

Atl (dark_leo) | 9 comments I nominate Sundiver by David Brin. I looked on the bookshelf and I saw the second one in the series, but not the first. I was introduced to it in another group and listened to the audio sample and it sounds like its about species that swim in to the sun. That's weird, right?

message 4: by Paul (last edited Jan 12, 2020 01:26PM) (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 18 comments I'm not sure how space operatic it is ( although there is space flight toward the end of the book ) but I'll push it and nominate Hothouse by the late, great Brian W. Aldiss

edit: a little about the book:

set in the far, far future, when the sun is a huge red orb in the sky and most of Earth's life is vegetable - although much of it mobile and predatory - the descendants of humanity are barely sentient scavengers, until an encounter with a fungal symbiote.

and thanks for accepting my nomination Teresa :)

message 5: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Summary so far:
Mirabile by Janet Kagan Mirabile by Janet Kagan. Nominated by Teresa. Awaiting seconds.
Sundiver (The Uplift Saga, #1) by David Brin Sundiver by David Brin. Nominated by Atl. Awaiting seconds.
Hothouse by Brian W. Aldiss Hothouse by Brian W. Aldiss. Nominated by Paul. Awaiting seconds.

message 6: by Chong (new)

Chong Go | 22 comments Retread Shop Retread Shop by T. Jackson King by T. Jackson King is a great read and has a *lot* of alien biology.

message 7: by Suman (last edited Jan 15, 2020 10:06PM) (new)

Suman Saha (suman_saha) | 30 comments I would like to nominate 3zekiel 3zekiel by Peter Cawdron by peter cowdron. Its surely a story of first contact, but who knows, the first are always the weirdest.

message 8: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 880 comments Mod
I will second Sundiver. It's currently being reissued by the publisher, with a new introduction by the author. http://www.davidbrin.com/sundiver.html I'm a fan of Brin, as a futurist and political commentator, though I haven't read much of his fiction. I tried reading Existence, but found it slow going. However, this book gets pretty good reviews by some people whose judgment I usually respect. And it was an award winner for best first novel.

message 9: by Atl (new)

Atl (dark_leo) | 9 comments Awesome bets as I picked up a used copy at the library book sale today.

message 10: by Ryan (new)

Ryan I second Mirabile

message 11: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Summary so far:
Mirabile by Janet Kagan Mirabile by Janet Kagan. Nominated by Teresa. Seconded by Ryan.
Sundiver (The Uplift Saga, #1) by David Brin Sundiver by David Brin. Nominated by Atl. Seconded by Betsy.
Hothouse by Brian W. Aldiss Hothouse by Brian W. Aldiss. Nominated by Paul. Awaiting seconds.
Retread Shop by T. Jackson King Retread Shop by T. Jackson King. Awaiting seconds.
3zekiel by Peter Cawdron 3zekiel by Peter Cawdron. Nominated by Suman. Awaiting seconds.

message 12: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

I don’t second books that I haven’t read already, but Retread Shop looks interesting.

message 13: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Nominations will close on the 22nd. Pending more seconds, the pick will be either Mirabile or Sundiver.

message 14: by Lily (new)

Lily | 2 comments I nominate Semiosis Semiosis (Semiosis Duology, #1) by Sue Burke by Sue Burke.

message 15: by Marc (new)

Marc V. (marc_v) | 6 comments I nominate Semiosis

message 16: by Suman (new)

Suman Saha (suman_saha) | 30 comments I second Semiosis.

message 17: by Ryan (new)

Ryan I second Semiosis even though I've read and loved it already.

message 18: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Summary so far:
Mirabile by Janet Kagan Mirabile by Janet Kagan. Nominated by Teresa. Seconded by Ryan.
Sundiver (The Uplift Saga, #1) by David Brin Sundiver by David Brin. Nominated by Atl. Seconded by Betsy.
Retread Shop by T. Jackson King Retread Shop by T. Jackson King. Awaiting seconds.
3zekiel by Peter Cawdron 3zekiel by Peter Cawdron. Nominated by Suman. Awaiting seconds.
Semiosis (Semiosis Duology, #1) by Sue Burke Semiosis by Sue Burke. Nominated by Lily. Seconded by Marc, Suman, and Ryan.

message 19: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Nominations are now closed. Mirabile is removed from consideration since it was chosen for Limited pick. I count these seconds.

1 Sundiver
3 Semiosis

Rolling random numbers now.

message 20: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Our themed pick is Semiosis.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.