What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > old woman walks to visit queen, climbs a cherry tree, falls and dies

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Holly (new)

Holly Mueller | 4 comments My 83 yo friend is trying to find the poem that is based on a true story. It is about an old woman (90 years or so) that walks 100 miles or so to visit the queen. After returning home, this 90 yo woman climbs a cherry tree, falls, and dies. My friend said it was in an oversize Mother Goose book she checked out at the La Crosse Public Library (WI). This would have been in the 1940's. She said the cover showed Mother Goose with a bonnet/hat and flying. The true story the rhyme is based on may have the last name of Fitzgerald.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37562 comments Mod
Is she visiting any particular queen, given that it's based on a true story? Queen of what country/time period?

message 3: by Holly (new)

Holly Mueller | 4 comments I just found an article that lends truth to the story. I am going to try to post it. The first one will be the main part where the lady is mentioned. She is visiting Queen Elizabeth.

message 4: by Holly (new)

Holly Mueller | 4 comments I do not know how to put a pic of the article on here. Am I allowed to do that? If not, the article is titled "Duke of Leinster Loses Another Wife." It is printed in 1939 by American Weekly, Inc. Great Britain Rights Reserved.

message 5: by Mai (new)

Mai | 1160 comments That library network still has a book that fits the cover description: The Real Mother Goose illustrated by Blanche Fisher Wright. The first edition was published in 1916 and it was republished in 1944 (that's the copy that they have at that library system). It has been republished numerous times since!
The Real Mother Goose by Blanche Fisher Wright

https://www.lacrosselibrary.org/
http://encore.wrlsweb.org/iii/encore/...

No idea if it contains that poem though... I can't find much information!

message 6: by Holly (new)

Holly Mueller | 4 comments Thank you. I actually have the book you showed and it is not in there. I appreciate the help.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Real Mother Goose (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Blanche Fisher Wright (other topics)