GFOP Readers discussion

Texas Flood: The Inside Story of Stevie Ray Vaughan
This topic is about Texas Flood
December 2019 > Texas Flood: The Inside Story of Stevie Ray Vaughan

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Men (last edited Jan 07, 2020 02:26PM) (new) - added it

Men Blazers (meninblazers) | 26 comments Mod
When I grew up in Liverpool, Stevie Ray’s sound - that mix of blues and rock and roll and swagger all fused together and served up so very loud - was mesmerizing. When we were in Austin Texas, his adopted hometown, last month, JW and I paid our respect by going down to the statue of Stevie Ray on the waterfront. In the wake of it, Alan Paul sent me his biography of the Texan icon and I found it fascinating. It’s an oral history grounded in 100s of interviews with Vaughan’s friends, family, and bandmates. The tale is a great American one, depicting a rise from working class roots to world superstardom, the battling and overcoming of a drug and alcohol addiction, to his live-fast tragically young death in a helicopter crash aged just 35. It has been 29 years since Vaughan’s passing and this telling of his geek to guitar god transformation, his obsession with his instrument, his technique and his lore, was a wonder to read. If you like music this is a must read exploration of the blues and the great late Stevie Ray’s place within it. Courage.
-Rog

Please Share with us your thoughts!

And check out the book via the link below:
https://tinyurl.com/yjoncyeg

Gabriel | 4 comments A meticulously put together account of the life of SRV told through interviews and stories. The pacing is very good and you can really get lost in this one -- especially if your a fan of the man and his music.

It really captures the ups-and-downs of this man's relatively brief career and shows the impact he had an so many people. This book is about a man's love of the Blues, so I'm not sure I can recommend to Kopites ;) #UTFT