Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > [Poll Ballot] Scrappy Little Nobody, by Anna Kendrick (3.5 stars)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2502 comments I really enjoyed this series of autobiographical essays by Anna Kendrick. They're highly witty rather than laugh aloud funny, but I had a wry smile on my face through most of the book. Don't expect tell-all, name-dropping episodes - she doesn't discuss her co-stars much at all: where they do come up, it's more to illustrate a point, or tell a funny anecdote about something she did wrong or was anxious about. But I loved the writing style - it comes across exactly as she speaks, including being a mile a minute.

The book is sarcastically self-deprecating throughout and very candid and engaging, but with some very pertinent comments along the way. For instance, she points out how being called 'nice' doesn't mean that people think you're kind, generous, warm or funny - instead it means 'not difficult'. And how 90% of the egotistical entitled and difficult people she knows are men, but how 90% of the people who are labelled 'difficult' are women. Not just in the movie world.

message 2: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7198 comments It sounds interesting--I don't care much for tell-alls if they get nasty, anyway. I just put it back on my want to read shelf.

message 3: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments Love me some Anna Kendrick. Did you do the audiobook for this? I thought her delivery really made it.

message 4: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2502 comments No - print. But I could hear her talking throughout!