Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > I'm Baaaaaack!!! Ceelee's Nov/Dec Reads

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 203 comments Hello Everyone! I know I haven't kept up very well with things here. The past couple months have been hectic, fun but not without some problems I have had to deal with and the holidays can be sad too. It is amazing I have been reading but I have been out of the loop here and in other groups. It is a beautiful day here in North Texas with gorgeous sunlight and the low 60s so I figured this was a good day to get back into Goodreads and my reading groups.

In November I read four books and all were mysteries!

First was THE GIRL IN THE WOODS by Gregg Olsen.

The Girl in the Woods (Waterman and Stark, #1) by Gregg Olsen

I don't remember reading anything by this author before. I really enjoyed it. I liked the characters and the story is well written, although i thought the ending went a little overboard both figuratively and literally. It had a touch of Tess Gerritsen to it but had a lighter "feel" too. I want to read more by this author and definitely more in the series.

Next was IN A DARK, DARK WOOD by Ruth Ware

In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware

Wowee and zowee! I could not put my tablet down! What a great book! No wonder Ruth Ware is so popular! It was so creepy and twisted! Great mystery novel! I definitely want to read the rest of her stuff.

Then for a real break and a completely different style, I read THE CAT WHO BROUGHT DOWN THE HOUSE by Lillian Jackson Braun.

The Cat Who Brought Down the House (Cat Who... #25) by Lilian Jackson Braun

I love cats and read any cat mystery I can find! I really needed the break after the Ruth Ware and even though it was a little short on real mystery it still is a fun story and I thoroughly enjoyed it and seeing that cheerful yellow cover brightened my day! Squunk water anyone?

I ended the month with WILD CHAMBER by Christopher Fowler.

Wild Chamber (Bryant & May #14) by Christopher Fowler

Another series I love with the Peculiar Crimes Unit. So funny, with lots of literary and historical references which is always interesting to me and is always a downright good mystery! I wish the series could go on forever!

December was a mix with two Christmas novels, a memoir, a mystery and literary fiction.

First the Christmas books. I started out with LET IT SNOW by Nancy Thayer.

Let It Snow by Nancy Thayer

I enjoyed the book for the most part but Christina was so over the-top about the holidays it was cringe worthy and it made me feel more sad because my Christmas holidays are not like that any more. I like Nancy Thayer because her books are set in Nantucket but prefer the summer setting.

Also read WRAPPED UP IN CHRISTMAS by Janice Lynn

Wrapped Up In Christmas by Janice Lynn

I wouldn't have chosen it myself but it was a book club pick. It was OK, small town romance, a little too sweet and predictable. I think I prefer Christmas mysteries.

My nonfiction memoir was MY FRIEND ANNA by Rachel DeLoache Williams

My Friend Anna by Rachel DeLoache Williams

Wow, what a great book! Everybody should read it! Rachel's story is a textbook of how con artists operate. She was fortunate she was able to fix the mess but it was a few years of real problems for her.

My mystery novel was THE VANISHING SEASON by Joanna Schaffhausen.

The Vanishing Season (Ellery Hathaway, #1) by Joanna Schaffhausen

It took me awhile to read this book. I wasn't really feeling it in the beginning but I kept going and it turned out to be pretty good and I think the murder plot was interesting once they got deeper into the mystery. The story also seemed to have some holes I couldn't figure out and a couple things happened that don't seem to be related to the present book. It is the first in a series in a series so maybe it will make sense in the second book.

And finally my last book I read was a historical and literary novel. LIKE WATER FOR CHOCOLATE by Laura Esquivel.

Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel

What a weirdly good book! It has a little bit of everything, magic, romance, a love triangle, family tradition, home remedies and food food food! I really enjoyed it and it was a good end to my reading year!

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1606 comments Ceelee, so nice to have you back! You had a great mix of books for those two months. Made me want to go back and read one of the Lillian Braun books. I really enjoyed the earlier ones.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments Hi Ceelee: So good to see you again! What a nice variety of books you read. I used to love reading the Cat Who books, they remind me of my Mom! I should pick one up again.

message 4: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 356 comments In the Dark Woods was a library bookclub choice for me long ago. I loved it and started reading all the Ruth Ware's I could find. Some great, some not for me.

message 5: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 356 comments Ceelee wrote: "Hello Everyone! I know I haven't kept up very well with things here. The past couple months have been hectic, fun but not without some problems I have had to deal with and the holidays can be sad t..."

this one was a 5 star read for me. Unusual, romantic, magical.