Beta Reader Group discussion

PAID services offered > Using Fiverr

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tina (new)

Tina (teadee) | 117 comments Hi,
I would like to know if any of the beta readers who charge for their services use Fiverr as their platform? What are your stories?

message 2: by Molly (new)

Molly (mwhitman82) I have beta reading as a gig of mine on Fiverr, but haven't really gotten anything from it yet. The one $5 job I got was someone who already had her "series" on KU, and wanted me to read the first book and post a review for her. Well, the review I wrote up would have been like 1 stars, and she asked me not to post it... If I would have been offered any more money with her expecting a good review, I would have felt icky forcing a good review for a book that didn't deserve one.
But I'll keep the gig up for a little longer to see what else might come my way.

message 3: by Tina (new)

Tina (teadee) | 117 comments How exactly does it work? Do you think it would be more advantageous to setup your own website. how long have you had it up for?

message 4: by Molly (new)

Molly (mwhitman82) I’ve had the beta reading gig for only a month or so, but I’ve had my proofreading and editing gig up there since October. Fiverr does take a cut of your pay though, so I don’t know. How it worked for the one beta reading job I’ve had is that she contacted me, told me what she wanted done (luckily the book was on KU and I have that), and then she booked me for the job. You can customize different price points for the amount of words you’ll read or you can create a custom order. I read the book, wrote up my review on a word doc, attached it on our chat thread on Fiverr, and when it was due, delivered it officially in order to get paid.
I think if you want to get paid for beta reading a website or something would be a bit more beneficial.

message 5: by Tina (new)

Tina (teadee) | 117 comments I'm weighing my options. Thanks for your input. I appreciate it :)