Through the Stones Again discussion

Introductions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Hi Everyone! I was hoping everyone would introduce themselves here. My name's Tanya and I live in California. I can't wait to dish Outlander with everyone :)

message 2: by Vanessa Eden (new)

Vanessa  Eden Patton (VanessaEden) Hey! I'm Vanessa. I am a nursing technician. I've been married almost 7 years. I addicted to outlander! I am currently almost done reading the series for the first time. I can't wait to reread the series and fall in love with Jamie all over again.

message 3: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Hi Vanessa :)

message 4: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Ash I'm Cindy and I live in Dallas TX. I finished all 8 books in September, and I'm ready for a re-read before April.

message 5: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Hi Cindy :)

message 6: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (EllenChristine) | 22 comments so sorry I didn't introduce myself. My name is Ellen Christine, a milliner in NYC. In between making hats I read voraciously. the Starz series made me go out and find Jamie in the bookstores. Now I"m on my through a Breath of Snow and Ashes, and looking forward to reading them all before Christmas. @Cindy I guess I'm not as fast as you!

message 7: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Hi Ellen :) A milliner, that's cool. How fun. I'm an interior designer. Are you on Pinterest?

message 8: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Ash Ellen, I started reading the books in August. My daughter had been trying to get me to read them for years, and I just thought it was historical romance, and that's just not my thing. Then when the series was about to start, she started hounding me again. I picked up Outlander, loved it, then blew through the rest of them one right after the other. I tried the Lord John books, but other than The Scottish Prisoner, I just didn't care for them. Looking forward to the re-read before the series starts back up again in April! By the way, I'm madly in love with Jamie! LOL!!!

message 9: by Cheryl (last edited Dec 03, 2014 04:09PM) (new)

Cheryl (cawils_99) Hello, my name is Cheryl Wilson and I'm from Cincinnati Ohio. I started the series 20 years ago and have read them many times since. I also LOVE the tv series!! I work as a tumor registrar at the Veteran's hospital and I'm a veteran too.

message 10: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Hi Cheryl!

message 11: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (EllenChristine) | 22 comments @Tanya yes, pinterest, Twitter, Instagram
www.ellenchristinecouture.com
@Cheryl what does a tumor registrar do? it sounds like such an arcane academic position. Like, medieval, or 18th C.

message 12: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Wow, Ellen. I am now following you. Your work is great :)

message 13: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (EllenChristine) | 22 comments thank you, Tanya. When I go onto Pintarest again, I'll be sure to follow you , too.

message 14: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cawils_99) A tumor registrar collects data on cancer patients. This data is used in a national database to help track different kinds of cancer and their treatments to hopefully help patients in the future.

message 15: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (EllenChristine) | 22 comments Thank you for the explanation, Cheryl. Although I come from a medical family, I don't pay attention when they talk about stuff. Brava ! For fighting the good fight.

Liz* Fashionably Late (Liz_asterisk) | 23 comments Hey, guys. I'm Liz from Argentina and I've read Outlander a few months ago. Haven't read the other books yet but Tanya is pushing me to keep reading! ^^

I'm so excited to be in this group. I love its name, btw! (:

message 17: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Liz* wrote: "Hey, guys. I'm Liz from Argentina and I've read Outlander a few months ago. Haven't read the other books yet but Tanya is pushing me to keep reading! ^^

I'm so excited to be in this group. I love ..."

Yay! Liz is here :D You're gonna have to help me figure out the reading schedule. I have no idea what a reasonable amount of time for these books is.

Liz* Fashionably Late (Liz_asterisk) | 23 comments Tanya wrote: "Yay! Liz is here :D You're gonna have to help me figure out the reading schedule. I have no idea what a reasonable amount of time for these books is. "

Don't know, it depends on our schedule and if people are working/studying. It's a long read, two weeks between books, maybe? I think that could give everybody time to read other stuff too.

Just an idea, you decide what's best, T (:

Hi, Danae! (:

message 19: by Tanya (new)

Tanya No, Liz it can't be up to me. I would look you all in small rooms until you finished. Them all. Muah ha ha...

Liz* Fashionably Late (Liz_asterisk) | 23 comments You're dangerous, woman. Whose idea was to put you in charge??

D:

message 21: by Tanya (new)

Tanya

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) (oOSarahOo) Tanya as a mod?! *shudders*

Oops, sorry. I guess I should introduce myself first;)

*waves*

Hi everyone I'm Sarah and I live on the island of Ibiza, Spain. I read book 1 in the series years ago and didn't like it at all hahaha. Not joking^^ I love Fever so I decided to give Outlander another try and figured it was better to do it with some friendly support. You'll have to be there for me guys!;)

Btw, I should mention I'm only here because Tanya hijacked me:p

About the reading schedule: how about a book every other week? Or two books a month? Or a book month? Haha I'm not helping much am I?

message 23: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Hi Sarah! I'm glad you came :)
We're going with a book a month starting Feb. 20th.

Liz* Fashionably Late (Liz_asterisk) | 23 comments Sarah <3

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) (oOSarahOo) This isn't really a BR group is it? It's only a support group to make sure I go through book 1 right?

Liz* Fashionably Late (Liz_asterisk) | 23 comments *hugs*

You'll be okay in Jamie's arms.

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) (oOSarahOo) Liz* wrote: "*hugs*

You'll be okay in Jamie's arms."

Thanks for the hugs, I'm going to need LOTS of them;)

Jamie? Who's Jamie? I'm guessing a character from the book? Okay, I read the book, I should know but I just can't remember a thing about it...

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) (oOSarahOo) Is he aggravatingly sexy? That's all I'm interested in really;)

message 29: by Tanya (last edited Dec 12, 2014 11:04PM) (new)

Tanya WHAT?! WHO'S JAMIE? Who's Jamie, she asks.

This is worse than I thought. We better pull out the big guns.

message 30: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle | 2 comments I'm Gabrielle and I just finished my epic Read-a-thon of Outlander. Finished the last novella this week. Between dodging work, husband, and four children it took me about two months. :(

This is how I started reading them and how I found them:

I got a call from my mother telling me that I just HAD to watch this new series on Starz. She starts by telling me it's a show about the Highlands (yawn) with a really hot guy (I blushingly recall the Chippendale posters that adorned my mother's room when I was a little girl) and this woman finds these witches dancing around stones (I'm Christian, mother is Pagan) and goes back into time (finally something that sounds interesting) and it's like a romance (I hate romance novels because they're almost universally bad).

"Mother, why do you think I'll like this... show?"

"Well, because she's an herbalist. I think. She was a nurse. Or something. You're an herbalist, too!"

"Mmmph. I'll check it out. If I have time..."

Downloaded the first episode and watched it. Half way through after I've forwarded past the uncomfortable looking sex scene on the table and joked with my husband about the vicar in Outlander being in the Vicar of Dibley and I'm a bit intrigued. So I downloaded the second episode and start to build an appreciation against my will for this show. I start to think that it's like one of my mother's horrible, cheesy Highlander romance novels but as if someone tried to challenge themselves to write something good within the overblown Highlander romance construct. Someone with a brain. And an eye for historical detail. Someone who could let the female lead be strong without diminishing the strength of the men. Someone who doesn't automatically make all Scots a bunch of loopy pagans worshiping moonbeams. Better and better.

I wonder if someone wrote a book for this...

Famous last words. This is my new love. Thank you Diana Gabaldon for writing this awesome series. Every book is fresh and new. I only gave the first book 4 stars because I compare it to all the books that came after.

message 31: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Hi, Gabrielle :)

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) (oOSarahOo) @Gabrielle: hi there! *waves*

@Danae: what do you mean "not the way you want?" And what way would that be? Something like the Barrons cure for priyaism hahaha?! Sorry, I'm officially obsessed.

@Tanya: okay so I'm guessing he's the series annoying yet sexy alpha? To think I actually read the first book and can't remember a thing about the guy hahahaha! Seriously, he can't be *that* hot & sexy! I mean I would have some tiny recollection of him if he was right? Then again, we all know I'm a desperate case so...

ETA: Tanya, just read your comment on my review for that *other book*... I thought I was desperate a desperate case before but this is just... I'm way beyond lost.

message 33: by Tanya (new)

Tanya oOSarahOo wrote: "@Gabrielle: hi there! *waves*

@Danae: what do you mean "not the way you want?" And what way would that be? Something like the Barrons cure for priyaism hahaha?! Sorry, I'm officially obsessed.

@T..."

You're fine. We run on crazy around here. Jamie is, well, I don't want to ruin anything. He's totally different from Barrons, but still completely swoon-worthy. You'll just have to read about him in all his glory :)

Liz* Fashionably Late (Liz_asterisk) | 23 comments @Gabriele, your mom is awesome! ^^ Welcome (:

@Sarah, WHO IS JAMIE?

^^

I don't think of Jamie as the alpha. He's completely sweet and brave and caring and strong and incredible sexy... I need this buddy read :P

I still can't believe you don't remember Jamie! ^^

message 35: by Tanya (new)

Tanya RIGHT?! Thank you, Liz ;)

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) (oOSarahOo) Okay guys, I have to come clean here. Want to know why I don't remember freaking Jamie? I haven't read this book. I know, I know, I said this was going to be a reread for me... Tanya was lovely enough not to rat on me but she made me realize yesterday that I thought we were going to BR the Highlander series not the Outlander series... You know, KMM Barrons Highlander Outlander... The JZB side effect again? I don't know. Now laugh at me. Hey did I you know I don't like romance, much less historical romance? Now laugh some more.

message 37: by Vanessa Eden (new)

Vanessa  Eden Patton (VanessaEden) Well ok then.

message 38: by Vanessa Eden (new)

Vanessa  Eden Patton (VanessaEden) Just thinking about Jamie makes my toes curl. It's just the greatest love story ever IMHO. He is so perfectly flawed.

Liz* Fashionably Late (Liz_asterisk) | 23 comments oOSarahOo wrote: "Okay guys, I have to come clean here. Want to know why I don't remember freaking Jamie? I haven't read this book. I know, I know, I said this was going to be a reread for me... Tanya was lovely eno..."

I won't laugh. I'm proud of you.

message 41: by Tanya (new)

Tanya We'll get through this. Together.

message 43: by Tanya (new)

Tanya oOSarahOo wrote: "Jamie will save the day for me right?"

HELL YES. If there's one thing you can count on, it's James Alexander Malcolm MacKenzie Fraser saving the flippin' day.

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) (oOSarahOo) I therefore shall be rescued by Jamie!^^

message 45: by Alex (new)

Alex Ristea (alexristea) Er, hi! My name's Alex, and I buy books like some people buy shoes.

Picked up Outlander on a whim and was blown away by how good the writing is. I haven't read something that easy to read in probably forever (and I mean that in a good way).

As I'm sure everyone can empathize with, my TBR pile is more of a mountain, and I just haven't found the time to start reading the sequels.

Looking forward to doing so with the group!

message 46: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Welcome, Alex :D

message 47: by Vanessa Eden (new)

Vanessa  Eden Patton (VanessaEden) Welcome Alex! It's so nice to see men reading the series. :)

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) (oOSarahOo) Alex wrote: "Er, hi! My name's Alex, and I buy books like some people buy shoes."

You mean some people buy more shoes than books? What has the world come to?! *sighs*

Welcome to out little group Alex!;o)

message 49: by Alex (new)

Alex Ristea (alexristea) Thanks!

Men don't read these? I try to push them on everyone I meet.

(I'm also quite against gender stereotyping and all that, so I have no problems recommending these to guys.)

Full disclosure: pretty sure this is the first "romance" novel I've read...and I have no idea why I've waited so long. I'm such a sucker for this kind of stuff—and I know I am—so Outlander was exactly what I needed.

message 50: by Vanessa Eden (new)

Vanessa  Eden Patton (VanessaEden) Alot of men are put off by it because they think its a romance book. However, once my husband watched the series and read the graphic novel, he loved it.

I'm not trying to stereotype anyone: alot of people won't give it a chance because its classified as a time travel romance. Which is sad because its such a wonderful series! I have everyone that works night shift at the nursing home reading it as well as a few patients.

« previous 1