North Liberty Readers discussion

Challenges > Sonja's 2020 Challenges & Books Read

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 5: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 235 comments Mod
Sara Donati is an author I've been wanting to read...because she has been compared to Diana Gabaldon. I would love to year your thoughts when you finish with that one!

I'm so glad you chose My Antonia....it is one of my MOST FAVORITE books of ALL TIME. I adore little Antonia....and Willa Cather is an amazing author. It's why I named my first born Antonia and kept the Bohemian pronunciation of her name.....

I adore Lisa See and I've put her Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane on my list for this year...her writing is exquisite....I'll be sure to have The Island of Sea Women on my radar....let me know when you read it as I think I could absolutely join you on that one!!!

Can't go wrong with Kazuo Ishiguro. I haven't read Remains of the Day but it's on my radar...the reviews and rankings speak for themselves.

I love your list!!! I'm so excited about this year.....and proud of us book geeks who continue to read voraciously!

message 6: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (last edited Jan 27, 2020 08:01AM) (new)

Sonja | 881 comments Mod
I listened to The Gilded Hour by Sara Donati in 2017 and I LOVED it! That's why I put the second one of this series on this year's list. There's an earlier series that is about the lives of the ancestors of the ladies in this series. I have the first one (Into the Wilderness), but haven't read it yet.

I also love Lisa See! I have enjoyed everything of hers that I've read!

Remains of the Day will be my second book by Ishiguro. I enjoyed Never Let Me Go, which I read a few years ago.

I added My Antonia because I've heard good things, and I try to add 1 or 2 classics to my list every year. There are so many I haven't read, and I figure this is a good way to make sure I add some of them in!

message 7: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 881 comments Mod
From my 2017 challenges:

Just finished The Gilded Hour. It was on my list for last year, but I'm glad I decided to read it! It was soooo good!

It's amazing how many of the social issues in this book (set in 1880s New York City), are still issues today. This book has so many! Female physicians. Black female physicians. Abortion. Birth control. Poor immigrant populations (here the Irish and Italians). It kept hitting me that the same social issues that are in the forefront today were so much in the forefront 130 years ago.

There is a six book series by the same author starting with Into the Wilderness that I want to read now. They are all longer books, but they are the story of the ancestors of Anna and Sophie who are the main characters of this book. There are little bits of information about them in this book, and it has just made me want to know more about them. I've also heard that Jamie and Claire make an appearance in one of the books!