Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2020 Classic Bingo Challenge > Joe's 2020 Classic Bingo Challenge (a newcomer)

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joe (last edited Dec 11, 2020 03:05PM) (new)

Joe | 10 comments Hello everyone,
I am new to the group and I love this challenge. I realized that most of my readings last year were contemporary fiction and catching up on classics is just what I need. Thanks for this challenge and I look forward to following yours as well.

B1: Classic of Asia: Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse
B2: Classic Tragedy: The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
B3: A Book Published at Least 200 Years Ago: Candide by Voltaire
B4: Memoir, Autobiography, or Biography: Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell
B5: Classic of Europe: The Castle by Franz Kafka

I1: Classic Mystery or Crime: The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie
I2: Group Bingo Participant Pic: A dystopian novel and I would really love to read one of the classic four I list at the bottom of my post. The choice of course is yours!
I3: Classic Drama or Play: An Enemy of the People by Henrik Ibsen
I4: Book From Group’s 2020 Bookshelf: There Will Come Soft Rains by Ray Bradbury
I5: Classic Gothic or Horror: The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

N1: Book From Group’s Old School Classic Shelf prior to 2020: The Death of Ivan Ilych by Leo Tolstoy
N2: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize: Belladonna by Daša Drndić
N3: Reader’s Choice: Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh
N4: Classic Short Story: A Tomb for Boris Davidovich by Danilo Kiš
N5: Book From Group’s New School Classic Shelf prior to 2020: If on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino

G1: Classic Science Fiction or Fantasy: Dictionary of the Khazars by Milorad Pavić
(alternative The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende)
G2: The Bigger Read List by English Pen: One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez
G3: Poetry or Essay Collection: Robert Frost's Poems
G4: Banned Book: TBD
G5: Classic Science or Philosophy: TBD

O1: Classic of Africa, Antarctica, Australia, or Oceania: Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
O2: Classic Western: TBD
O3: Book Published the Year You Were Born: 1970s - Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino
O4: Classic Adventure: Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mount Everest Disaster by Jon Krakauer
O5: Classic of the Americas: Pedro Páramo by Juan Rulfo

For I2: Group Bingo Participant Pick, I would really like to read a dystopian fiction. I read some of these in high school (1984 and Brave New World) but I've been meaning to re-read them for ages and it's about time to do it. Alternatively, I can also read one of the other two from the list for the first time. I look forward to your selection!

1984 by George Orwell
Animal Farm by George Orwell
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

message 2: by Joe (last edited Dec 31, 2020 02:02PM) (new)

Joe | 10 comments I'll update my reading progress here.

COMPLETED:
- B1: Classic of Asia: Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse - 8/14/20 ★★★★★
- B2: Classic Tragedy: The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoyevsky - 11/10/20 ★★★★★
- B3: A Book Published at Least 200 Years Ago: Candide by Voltaire - 5/17/20 ★★★★★
- B4: Memoir, Autobiography, or Biography: Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell - 5/28/20 ★★★★★
- B5: Classic of Europe: The Castle by Franz Kafka - 2/12/20 ★★★

- I1: Classic Mystery or Crime: The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie - 1/20/20 ★★★★
- I2: Group Bingo Participant Pic: 1984 by George Orwell - 5/13/20 ★★★★★
- I4: Book From Group’s 2020 Bookshelf: There Will Come Soft Rains by Ray Bradbury 12/11/20 ★★★★
- I5: Classic Gothic or Horror: The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde -
11/19/20 ★★★★★

- N1: Book From Group’s Old School Classic Shelf prior to 2020: The Death of Ivan Ilych by Leo Tolstoy - 12/2/20 ★★★★★
- N2: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize: Belladonna by Daša Drndić - 7/3/20 ★★★★★
- N3: Reader’s Choice: Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh - 12/31/20 ★★★★
- N4: Classic Short Story: A Tomb for Boris Davidovich by Danilo Kiš - 4/3/20 ★★★★
- N5: Book From Group’s New School Classic Shelf prior to 2020: If on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino - 1/9/20 ★★★★★

- G1: Classic Science Fiction or Fantasy: Dictionary of the Khazars by Milorad Pavić - 10/10/20 ★★★★★
- G2: The Bigger Read List by English Pen: One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez - 3/6/20 ★★★★★

- O1: Classic of Africa, Antarctica, Australia, or Oceania: Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad - 4/27/20 ★★★★
- O4: Classic Adventure: Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mount Everest Disaster by Jon Krakauer 10/19/20 ★★★★
- O5: Classic of the Americas: Pedro Páramo by Juan Rulfo - 6/21/20 ★★★★

message 3: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9434 comments Mod
Hi Joe. Newcomers are always welcome here. Glad you have decided to try the challenge. Happy reading this year.

message 4: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

I plan on reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy this year. You might think about reading it for I2. It has been highly recommended to me by several people.

message 5: by Clara (new)

Clara (clarabellecow) | 66 comments Since you have Homage to Catalonia for B4, using 1984 or Animal Farm for I2 might tie in nicely.

Fahrenheit 451 also still stands out to me, even though I read it a long time ago.

Brave New World is worthwhile as well.

Happy reading!

message 6: by Ciera (new)

Ciera (cfree7) | 142 comments I agree with Kalia, those are all great recommendations and 1984 is a personal favorite of mine. You might also consider Anthem by Ayn Rand. Enjoy!

message 7: by Gerard (new)

Gerard (gerbearrr) | 81 comments This is a fantastic list with really thought provoking works! Good luck on your challenge. :)

message 8: by Matt (new)

Matt (mmullerm) | 820 comments I recommend A Brave New World for your i2 square - it is one if my favorite dystopian novels.

message 9: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1556 comments Fahrenheit 451 blew me away the second time I read it, so I recommend that, but the others are also good too, so you can't really go wrong.
1984 is a powerful book but really bleak.

message 10: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3801 comments Joe, this is a fantastic list. A year that includes The Brothers Karamazov and The House of Spirits and The Picture of Dorian Gray and The Song of Solomon sounds like a dream reading year to me!

Farenheit 451 would be my favorite, but I don't think you can lose with those choices. :-)

message 11: by Joe (new)

Joe | 10 comments Wow! I was away for a day and what a great surprise to see all these comments. Thank you all for the excellent suggestions and support. I guess I can't go wrong with any of these picks.

Katy and Ciera, thank you also for the new suggestions. I'll definitely add The Road and Anthem to my TBR list.

From your responses, it looks like either Fahrenheit 451 or re-reading 1984 will be my I2 choice. Either way is great and I'll probably read them both.

message 12: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Ciera wrote: "... You might also consider Anthem by Ayn Rand. Enjoy!"

I have that one on my challenge for the year also.

message 13: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1631 comments You have some great books on your challenge and I hope you enjoy it. My recommendation between your two finalists for the I2 square is 1984. So many years after it was written and the parallels to certain aspects of our current society are amazing.

message 14: by Joe (new)

Joe | 10 comments Thank you for the good point, Laurie. 1984 is set for I2.

message 15: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 155 comments Hi Joe! I am also new to the group, let's have loads of fun and read lots of books this year! x

message 16: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 5037 comments Mod
Nice list, Joe!

message 17: by Irphen (new)

Irphen | 431 comments Hi Joe! I'm new to this group as well and I think it will be really fun with all the reading challenge stuff!
Your Bingo Challenge picks seem rather interesting. I've read The Picture of Dorian Gray and really enjoyed it. I might even be doing a re-read of it for my Bingo Challenge this year.
For the dystopian fiction I really recommend Animal Farm, I read it last year and thought it was very interesting.
Anyways, wish you good luck and hope you enjoy!

message 18: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments Great list, Joe! I hope you enjoy reading all your choices, and good luck with your challenge!

message 19: by Rob (new)

Rob Brown | 22 comments I've not read A Brave New World (but will this year I think) of the other three my favourite was 1984.

message 20: by Joe (new)

Joe | 10 comments Well, I haven't been updating my reading progress until now. My progress to date is now in message #2 and I have to say that I'm really glad I joined this challenge. I'm not sure if I would have read some of the books like Calvino's If on a Winter's Night, for example, had it not been for the variety of categories. I loved it and now want to read more Calvino. I was also very happy with the group's pick, 1984, although I intend to read many other books that were suggested. I still have more than half to go but I'm enjoying it. Thanks, folks!

message 21: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 5037 comments Mod
Great progress and so glad you are enjoying your reads.