What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA Historical Fiction, novel about a boy who goes to live with Haida set in the 80s (?)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 3 comments Our grade 10 class read this book in highschool (2001), but I think it was set in the 1970s or 1980s. About a boy (and maybe his friend) go to live with a tribe of Haida Indigenous peoples on an island (?) in British Columbia, Canada.

message 2: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16051 comments How old were the boys? Teenagers or younger kids?

Were both boys white? Do you remember why they went to live with the tribe?

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 3 comments I think they were teenage and I *think* one of the boys might have been First Nations. They spent a lot of time in the woods and learning their customs and traditions. I honestly can't remember a lot of details but I remember liking it for a book that I was forced to read.

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16051 comments I keep thinking of a book with two teen boys who were troublemakers or juvenile delinquents being sent on a vision quest or doing a manhood ritual with a Pacific Northwest tribe.

Kinda like The War Canoe, but that's only one boy.

message 5: by Jessica (last edited Jan 07, 2020 05:28PM) (new)

Jessica | 3 comments Yes, the plot you said sounds familiar!
Not sure if it was The War Canoe - that title doesn't ring a bell, but I will have a look! Does sound similar - I just don't remember it being Alaska... I was pretty sure it was in British Columbia.

message 6: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16051 comments It also kinda reminds me of Touching Spirit Bear, but that's still just one boy and not the right location.

message 7: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16051 comments Oh wait, maybe Stars?

It came up last year, and that's the book I was remembering.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...