Into the Forest discussion

The Book of Atrix Wolfe
This topic is about The Book of Atrix Wolfe
Previous Group Reads > The Book of Atrix Wolfe Spoiler Free

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Margaret | 3661 comments Mod
Our spoiler-free discussion of The Book of Atrix Wolfe.

Kimberly Karalius (kimkaralius) | 1 comments I love McKillip’s books, and enjoying this one so far is no surprise to me! I’m only a few chapters in but it’s great.

Also, how cool is it that Talis wears glasses? Loving the imagery around his lenses, the way the light hits it, etc.

Her writing is lovely. This was the first book I read by her! I still have many more of her novels left to read, but this is my favorite of hers so far. I love the lyrical writing, but also how she humanizes the little folk. It's not just about kings and queens, but scullery maids too.

message 4: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 4438 comments Mod
I love her writing too. I think Winter Rose was my favourite! I am so disappointed though because my library doesn't have The Book of Atrix Wolfe! I will try and get it as an inter-library loan.

Jalilah wrote: "I love her writing too. I think Winter Rose was my favourite! I am so disappointed though because my library doesn't have The Book of Atrix Wolfe! I will try and get it as an inter-lib..."

I hope you find a copy!

message 6: by Asaria (new) - added it

Asaria | 643 comments Sue me, but The book of Atrix Wolfe and Winter Rose are the only books by McKillip that I couldn't get through. I'd like to understand why...

Asaria wrote: "Sue me, but The book of Atrix Wolfe and Winter Rose are the only books by McKillip that I couldn't get through. I'd like to understand why..."

I probably won't sue you today. ;)

Which are your favorites? It sounds like there are other McKillip books you've enjoyed. I haven't read Winter Rose.

Katy (kathy_h) | 852 comments Oh, wow! I have a copy on my shelf that was hiding.

Katy wrote: "Oh, wow! I have a copy on my shelf that was hiding."

Yay!

message 10: by Asaria (last edited Feb 08, 2020 12:04PM) (new) - added it

Asaria | 643 comments Margaret wrote: "Asaria wrote: "Sue me, but The book of Atrix Wolfe and Winter Rose are the only books by McKillip that I couldn't get through. I'd like to understand why..."

I probably won't sue you today. ;)

Wh..."

But imagine the possible drama ! :-)

Actually I have entire shelf on goodreads dedicated to Patricia McKillip. I really like her lyrical, poetic style.

Just off the top of my head Something Rich and Strange, The Changeling Sea, The Sorceress and the Cygnet

message 11: by Jalilah (last edited Jan 16, 2020 03:12PM) (new)

Jalilah | 4438 comments Mod
Asaria wrote: "Sue me, but The book of Atrix Wolfe and Winter Rose are the only books by McKillip that I couldn't get through. I'd like to understand why..."

Not going the sue you either! We all have our preferences and sometimes they can't be explained. For example, me, I can't read anything under the genre "high fantasy " or " sword or sorcery " fantasy. I prefer books that take place in our world. But at the same time I enjoy fairy tales and myths and they have all that, so it's not really logical!
I enjoyed Winter Rose, it's sequel Solstice Wood as well as Something Rich and Strange because they all take place in our world. That being said I also enjoyed Changeling Sea as well.
Maybe it was close enough to our world? ;)

One thing that I personally loved about all 3 of the books I mentioned, Winter Rose, Solstice Wood and Something Rich and Strange are what I've read some reviewers accurately describe as " psychedelic trip" or "acid trippiness " aspect in those novels, awhere you will never be sure if it's real or imagined. I personally love it, but a lot of people don't.

message 12: by Margaret (last edited Jan 16, 2020 07:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Asaria wrote: "Just off the top of my head Something Rich and Strange, The Changeling Sea, The Sorceress and the Cygnet"

Of those, I've only read Something Rich and Strange, which I did enjoy. Not as much as Atrix Wolfe.

I own The Sorceress and the Cygnet as well as many of her other books. I collected them from the used bookstore I was working at. Much like Ursula Le Guin, I want to read her books slowly so they last a long time. :)

I met Patricia McKillip a few years ago at a conference. I went to a couple of panels she spoke at. I honestly don't remember much about the panels anymore! What I do remember is we went to the bathroom at the same time, and I held the door open for her. She said "Thank you," and I said something along the lines of "It's the least I can do for you." Ha!

I guess it literally was the least I could do for her. :)

I also met Holly Black, who is very funny in real life. I was also quite awkward speaking to her when she and I were alone together at a buffet table.

I'm great at large gatherings and chit chat with strangers. Just....great.

message 13: by Asaria (last edited Jan 18, 2020 02:24AM) (new) - added it

Asaria | 643 comments Margaret wrote: "Asaria wrote: "Just off the top of my head Something Rich and Strange, The Changeling Sea, The Sorceress and the Cygnet"

Of those, I've only read Something Rich and Strange, which I did enjoy. Not..."

What a great story :).

Jalilah wrote: "Asaria wrote: "Sue me, but The book of Atrix Wolfe and Winter Rose are the only books by McKillip that I couldn't get through. I'd like to understand why..."

Not going the sue you either! We all h..."

For me, the most fascinating thing in these books is the sea. I've yet to find a writer who can write as beautifully about it as McKillip

message 14: by Emily (new)

Emily M | 135 comments I'm probably sitting this one out as my library doesn't have a copy. I'm torn on McKillip. I loved Ombria in Shadow a few years ago, but was really underwhelmed by The Forgotten Beasts of Eld. She writes beautifully, but in Eld it really was too much chit chat and people being mournful and talking about what they're not going to do.

Still interested to know what everyone thinks of this one though!

Ha, I loved Eld, but then, your description of it sounds like something I would like. :)

message 16: by Emily (new)

Emily M | 135 comments Margaret wrote: "Ha, I loved Eld, but then, your description of it sounds like something I would like. :)"

Haha, I expected to love it myself, so maybe I was just feeling curmugeonly at the time. :-D It felt very dated to me, more than anything.

message 17: by Mir (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mir | 71 comments Asaria wrote: "Sue me, but The book of Atrix Wolfe and Winter Rose are the only books by McKillip that I couldn't get through. I'd like to understand why..."

Funny, Atrix Wolfe was one of my favorites of hers and Winter Rose one of my least favorite! Can you put your finger on a commonality that you disliked in both? Not into mystic woods?

Maddie I just finished this book last night and I thought it was fine. I like her writing style but the story just didn't grab me. I may try out some of her other books.

Maddie wrote: "I just finished this book last night and I thought it was fine. I like her writing style but the story just didn't grab me. I may try out some of her other books."

She does go for more philosophical plots than action plots. Even when action is happening, it's for a philosophical/psychological point. That may have been it?

message 20: by Asaria (last edited Feb 06, 2020 11:44AM) (new) - added it

Asaria | 643 comments Mir wrote: "Funny, Atrix Wolfe was one of my favorites of hers and Winter Rose one of my least favorite! Can you put your finger on a commonality that you disliked in both? Not into mystic woods?"

I didn't like McKillip's approach to Tam Lin fairy tale in "Winter Rose" and Atrix simply bored me for no particular reason at that time.

I don't think the problem lies in the forests :)

Maddie Margaret wrote: "Maddie wrote: "I just finished this book last night and I thought it was fine. I like her writing style but the story just didn't grab me. I may try out some of her other books."

She does go for m..."

Interesting. I'm unfamiliar with her work but she is different than what i usually read.

message 22: by Mir (last edited Feb 07, 2020 03:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mir | 71 comments Asaria wrote: "I didn't like McKillip's approach to Tam Lin fairy tale in "Winter Rose" "

Neither did I, nor did I care for the narrative voice.

Kelsey | 84 comments I'm just about a third of the way into this book and loving it. My favorite book of McKillip's I've read so far is The Bell at Sealey Head, which has so many lovable characters. This one has a smaller cast, but I'm hoping it'll be right up there as a favorite for me!

Kelsey wrote: "I'm just about a third of the way into this book and loving it. My favorite book of McKillip's I've read so far is The Bell at Sealey Head, which has so many lovable characters. This..."

Yay! I haven't read The Bell at Sealey Head yet. Looks lovely.

message 25: by Mir (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mir | 71 comments I liked Bell, too.

message 26: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Catelli | 902 comments Bell is great.